Cavcraft's cavalcade of crap. Local honey.

Cavcraft

I can't find my original 'spotted thread) so I'm starting a new one off with one massive WINNAH!!!111!!! of a picture. I used to call to garages in this area but never spotted this one in 8 years in the job.

Today, as I'm whizzing round collecting cycles, I find this absolute gem in Denbigh, North Wales. Not sure about the fuel pumps, but the rest of it was most definitely working garage. Hope it never changes.

spotted pictures.jpg

At a car boot sale today. Yesterday (very near to that Nova above) I also spotted a 1980s Fiat Panda, will go back and grab a picture of that at some point.

spotted.jpg

*Edit it may appear Bart Simpson was doing a face palm or something in the shadow, but he wasn't.

That garage hasn't changed in absolutely yonks, though I seem to recall maybe 25 years ago it was being used 'proper.' I bet there's money in that old caravan is restored now.

If anyone is arsed, it's at the foot of Beeston Castle, Cheshire.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw some truly superb old rammel spotted in London over the weekend were myriad old Volvos (Wimbledon seemed to offer loads of them) a Renault 5, various old Mercs and what not, none of which I really managed to capture.

This didn't matter though as I saw this on the M40 (or whatever motorway it is that links the M25 with the M6) and it was just the last word in cool. If you're ever going to have a convertible, then I reckon it HAS to be one of these...

10462796_10152263601348924_4789637167958

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cheating a bit here, as I've pinched this picture from the brilliant Chester Memories page on FaceAche....

chester halfords.jpg

...I was only thinking about the original Halfords in Chester just yesterday and then found this. I used to go in there yonks ago for bargain bin rattle cans to respray my pushbike. It even used to smell like a (sort of) motor factors should do! 

I think a high street Halfords or motor factors is quite a good idea, would save me trekking across to far flung industrial estates when my battery's failed anyway, and lugging a heavy duty battery for miles.

I notice that my local Halfords has done a switch around and hidden automotive stuff upstairs and the lycra terrorist stuff downstairs.

It even used to smell like a (sort of) motor factors should do! 

God, yes, suddenly I'm back in the one in Oxford Street in Swansea in 1978.

I think a high street Halfords or motor factors is quite a good idea

I was in Ealing the other day, which is also somewhere I spent a lot of time when I was a nipper in the 1970s, and was pleasantly shocked to see that the high street Halfords is still there.  

Daewoo used to lease the buildings (or part thereof) from Halfords. It was at one of the 'dealerships' (I was collecting waste from the next door Halfords) that I first heard the awful 'we don't sell cars, people buy them off us' line from the shiniest of all shiny suited wankers. I honestly actually cringed when he said it.

Seemingly, Halfords go for very long leases on buildings to show commitment and keep the costs down a bit, I expect when Daewoo bailed they were left out of pocket on a lot of the bigger stores. The Chester (Greyhound) one seemed to go down the pan after the closure of their own servicing department, which then promptly re-opened a while longer further up the road, then they shut the big store and moved 1/4 mile away to a smaller one.