BLUE Triumph GT6

HillmanImp

I love the GT6 and think they look lovely. However I've been told by many that they drive rubbish. Good job really as I can't afford one now anyway!

Just a bump as I've refound this thread and I do love the look & style of the GT6.

It's a real shame you haven't got it back on the road again yet though.

Just a bump as I've refound this thread and I do love the look & style of the GT6.

It's a real shame you haven't got it back on the road again yet.

It'll be on the road within the next month as I need the room, I'm spending each available weekend on it. Missing 2 parties this weekend and mountain biking next weekend so I can crack on with it.

I am planning on getting the Jag back soon and don't have any room at the house so need this gone as it's doing my head in. Saying that, once if I get the jag through another test I'll probably end up selling that too as it's kind of surplus to requirements now but will see.

Just need to fudge it into a saleable state really. I'll never get it finished and REALLY want to get cracking on with the Imp which is long overdue being back on the road. I nearly finished the Imp in 2010 and it's still in the same state it was back then because life got in the way and it's my top priority.

What's left to do, to make it road worthy?

How is it's Patina nowadays?

Sort out a bit of welding, rebuild the carbs (I had them balanced and it was running but they need rebuilding, I have the kit) and put it back together as loads of it is in the garage on top of the Imp. 

The bodywork looks rough though. All the paint is flaking off, but it's not a basket case, its just 'weathered'. The worst part is the bonnet as it has loads of filler in it. Round the windscreen needs doing, but I am in 2 minds as to whether to do that. Will see how I get on with the rest of it and decide. I't needs a new windscreen too as the cardboard I had covering it fell down so it's covered in frigging grinding splatter.

I only rolled it to clean the chassis (it had loads of surface rust but was solid still), sort out the floor and do the bottom of the rear wings. Need to do the boot O/S boot floor and wing bottom and wob some filler over the slightly wonky bits I've done.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Just spotted it for sale with the current owner on the 'bay. Brush painted green, leaking fuel tank, needs electrics and interior work. £8.2k. I know values are fruity, but even so...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125780311894?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=a-I37k6OTt2&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=FV05_6LQQo2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Screenshot_20230321_152711_eBay.thumb.jpg.6c2692181fbf212497ef005482d85ee2.jpg

Problem is the top ones all seem to be up for £23-25k now, and that drags up the scruffy ones.

There do seem to be some good cars around in the £10-15k bracket.1971-triumph-gt6-6402119b27abf.thumb.jpg.21243d5b2cdaffc6123bcc7fad020293.jpg

That one is on Car and Classic for £13750. It would take a lot more than £5500 to get the brush painted car to that standard.

25 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

When do you pick it up? 

Bargain!

I get the impression George is a bit of a chancer.

I don't think the grot at the top of the windscreen has been done 

Screenshot_20230321_195528_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c975d8cc439da8bd9a8091932fc8e13b.jpg

Which means the a pillar is likely wobbed as if you had the windscreen out you'd do both wouldn't you. 

I remember looking at that hole at the back in the floor and thinking 'Not sure where to even start with that' which was pretty much where I gave up with it. 

Its got me quite giddy seeing this though. Thanks for spotting it. 

4 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

I don't think the grot at the top of the windscreen has been done 

Screenshot_20230321_195528_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c975d8cc439da8bd9a8091932fc8e13b.jpg

Which means the a pillar is likely wobbed as if you had the windscreen out you'd do both wouldn't you. 

I remember looking at that hole at the back in the floor and thinking 'Not sure where to even start with that' which was pretty much where I gave up with it. 

Its got me quite giddy seeing this though. Thanks for spotting it. 

Dare I ask how much you let it go for? George sure wants to make a quick, easy buck or three but appears to have devalued it since buying it from you. 

14 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Dare I ask how much you let it go for? George sure wants to make a quick, easy buck or three but appears to have devalued it since buying it from you. 

£3k. Its fine, I wasn't in a headspace to fix it at the time and got what I wanted for it. 

I might be wrong but I suspect he's painted it in whatever colour he had lying around to hide all the grot. 

However, I'm not sure on prices, it might be good money now? 

Hopefully it'll sell and get done properly. I can then buy it back when I've won the lottery. 🤣

13 minutes ago, Matty said:

I'm pretty sure a gt6 is my ideal classic. They've got it all really. Good looks and the triumph straight six orchestra. Check this out

I looked at buying one around 15 years ago. Unfortunately it was a bit of a rough one although silly cheap in contrast to today's prices. Values went crazy pretty much straight after. 

Funnily enough, I went through a phase of watching GT6 startup and drive videos on  YT ages back. They do sound phenomenal with a decent stainless setup. 

Do try sitting in one though...

4 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I looked at buying one around 15 years ago. Unfortunately it was a bit of a rough one although silly cheap in contrast to today's prices. Values went crazy pretty much straight after. 

Funnily enough, I went through a phase of watching GT6 startup and drive videos on  YT ages back. They do sound phenomenal with a decent stainless setup. 

Not currently in a position financially even to just have a sit 😄

6 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

I have and they're ace. Properly cocooned in like a sports car should feel imo. Sat inside something that makes it feel like a suit you're wearing that is the proverbial extension of yourself turning into the machine. 

39 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Find one at a car meet and ask to sit in. Ideally on a warm day. You'll either love it...

When I had my red one, my dad got in it and couldn't get back out because of the position of the seats and how low it was.

He'd have only been 3 years older than I am now too. 🤣

Fond memories of my Mk3 when it was on the road. Not so fond memories of the wobbed up body I discovered not long after purchase. 

I cycled 20 miles on the hottest day of the year to pick it up, with far too little water, as it turned out, only to find the heater stuck on hot. Which was nice. Drove it for a year. Realised it wasn't going to pass it's MOT so SORNed it and started stripping it down to find it much worse than expected. All the normal places were crispy; the bottom 6 inches, A pillars and leading edge of the roof. In the meantime I'd bought a house and what with the mortgage I didn't have enough to get the welding done. Sold it in about 2008 for £1600 to a bloke who drove from Northern Ireland to Norfolk on a Saturday and trailered it home on the Sunday to get back to work for Monday morning. No idea if it ever got put back together. 

• 2 weeks later...