Jon's Spotting Thread. USA Road Trip.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 7:51 PM, Spottedlaurel said:

Great stuff Jon! I'd be inclined to agree on the estate being a Mitsubishi, or more likely one of the Mopar-badged versions they had in the USA.

Not sure about the Accord's rear lights, on the I had they were smoked like the rest of the unit:

1984 Honda Accord 1.8EX 3dr

Nice to see you had a doppelganger car - small world! I wonder if the small bit of smoked orange inwards of the reverse lights was just inexplicably faded or something on the one I spotted? The local climate is undoubtedly a tough climate for plastics exposed to sunlight on a regular basis, for sure. And thanks for the Mitsubishi back-up prognosis on the US wagon spot; that pretty much seals the deal!

On 2/19/2021 at 10:28 PM, JimH said:

It's funny, US National Parks are almost all pretty much nailed on memory-tattooing places to visit. Mesa Verde on the other hand was just dull. I know the septics are a bit short on history so they do try to make the best of the hand they were dealt but I found it difficult to get excited about the slightly breathless descriptions of people who were scratching an existence when somewhat more advanced things were happening in Africa, Asia and Europe. Daft, I know but it was still rather hard to get worked up about it all.

Thanks for the reply Jim, vilifying mine and Mrs_Jon's nonchalance to the place. I think it's hard to come to terms with finding seemingly significant social history so boring, especially as the parks pass meant our journey was effectively free and others around us were so enthused - plus I'm sure there are many in the world who would dream of visiting the place, yet here we were moaning about nothing to see. But there were two Triump Heralds in a field just up the road, so all was not lost that day.

Anyway, HURRAH! We're finally on a new page! In celebration, let me fang up even more needless images of old cars that interests barely anyone. The subject matter still is: Stuff Seen With My Phone in 2020.

50955008313_db0329c10d_b.jpg

This is run by a local contract trucking company that has a wonderful mix of old and new on their fleet. These earlier Detlas have pleasingly elaborate front ends, which was very much a theme of Japanese commercials up to the early 80's. There's one or two utes of a similar vintage still on their books, along with a smattering of interesting HGVs, which makes me wonder how the drivers feel when issued them, when other colleagues drive brand new versions?

50955818212_f6306f538b_b.jpg

This was also a bit of set decoration on a job, though obviously well loved. Again, if anyone identifies what it was used on, then let me know! 

Fun Fact: Kia licence built a version of these for the military up until at least 2019 and may well still be building them today!

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/classic-cars/a30270254/incredibly-a-version-of-the-original-jeep-gladiator-is-still-being-built-by-kia/

50955711661_b1ef38b540_b.jpg

Slight bit of cheating here, as this is a spot sent to me from a mate of mine, who came to visit from the UK. Seems I've taught him well.

50955711646_66feac5a9e_o.jpg

He also forwarded this image of a nice XF Falcon wagon, which is an increasingly rare sight. Luckily, he also had the fortitude to get its much more preferable rear end, rather than the rather drab front end that XFs were afflicted with. Again, I like to think this is a reflection of my effective grooming into the world of documenting boring old cars.

50955008363_6021178c1b_b.jpg

Speaking of which, check this out! On the surface, it's just an uninteresting old van, the likes of which litter the streets here but the difference is that I used to own this one! Sold it in 2014 with almost 500000km on the clock, so who knows how much further the underpowered 2.0 petrol has gone. It's also incredibly untouched since then, as well; from what we could see, all our camping interior handiwork was present and correct (including the stainless steel mixing bowl bought in Tesco c.2008, that's now the sink). I think those were even the same cable ties holding the front number plate on, too...

50955711726_a70b99eaec_b.jpg

Saw this absolute belter of an early 700 Volvo, whilst panic buying mere minutes after lockdown was announced (we were at the big town anyway, so were making the most of it). The young owner was very enthusiastic about it and his family has several other bricks in the fold, so this one is in very safe hands. I love the wheels and badge font of early 700s and the fact that this was a manual turbo with a red interior was absolute cherry on the cake stuff.

50955711421_f551f9151a_b.jpg

This isn't a spot as such, more a case of me being bored one day, when transitioning from day shoots one day to night shoots the next. Being away from home, I passed the time looking for a worthy replacement for the Jondeo and despite being a bit uggers and having a WHITE interior, I still don't know why I didn't buy this 5L V8 2011 Nissan Fuga with 113000km on the clock, for less than £3k. One faded headlamp, a spare wheel well full of water and being restricted to 50km/h local roads on a test drive were enough to deter. Also, if a car proves reliable, I find it very hard to let go - hence daily driving a Mk3 Mondeo for 6 years...

50955048618_05de6e4299_b.jpg

Snapped this for my bro', who's an air cooled VW botherer. The guy from the spray shop across the road drove it out the shed and parked it there all day, as if it weren't a valuable thing that isn't entirely secure or even roadworthy. Top skills.

50955856942_167e5e57c2_b.jpg

Another spot at work but this time I think it was crew member's. Love the overly fussy round/slatty background headlamps of these earlier W123s and the green/green colour scheme is 'socially acceptably retro', too. I do still like the avocado/yellow/terracotta ones too though, especially with matching trims.

50955750801_403ba28bd0_b.jpg

Seen again, later in the day parked next to a rather natty Deliboy. I'd like to formally congratulate the owner on the very tasteful stripes, as well. Please take note, all 'Cobra stripes' car nobbers.

Here's a nice local scene post-lockdown, as we took our UK mates to see some speedway:

50955048453_3d59349bc9_b.jpg

We arrived after racing had begun, so the bloke at the gate let the 4 of us adults in under a family ticket - so £2.50 a head, for a couple of hours entertainment.

50955751051_26d3ef294f_b.jpg

The highlight for me was seeing these 3 guys blezzing about the oval in their Falcons. Both the later Falcons were no match for the blocky old XD/E/F Falcon, as the driver proved by driving the pants off it.

50955856657_578326f16a_b.jpg

Another personal highlight is seeing all the excellent supporter's garments being excellently modelled, too. It's fair to say that this is a more parochial track but in all honesty, it's much better for it. No gimmicks, just race after race after race. Still the only venue that I've seen standard road cars being raced and they're a lot of fun to watch.

50955817292_26eba67249_b.jpg

Spotted the licence built Mitsubishi Jeep thing in Auckland, on a journey home of several kilometres on foot, after having a skin full at a wrap party. Luckily for you and I, my phone has 'ultra night potato' mode, to really set the scene and drop the quality.

50955711811_8289d98a14_b.jpg

Inexplicably, someone actually brought this sorry old 'Defender' over from the UK in 1999. I suppose that the tarting up of a SIII with Defender bits was very Simmonites c.1999, as any Land Rover Owner International of the time would attest to (they've now progressed to tarting up Defenders with terrible wheels and LED headlamps), so it's a little slice of oft-forgotten motoring social history. Or something.

50955008378_7a9169d9fe_b.jpg

A nicely stewed Volvo 340, which obviously still serves somebody well enough. It's at this juncture that I admit that not only did my long walk back to my room for the night save me a cab fare home (and was somewhat of a tradition in my early drinking days), the spotting which resulted was actually a more fun experience than the free booze event I'd just been to.

50955711801_e8d854b9a3_b.jpg

I'll end this terrible photography experience here with this Hiace, which I pass regularly and is daily driven by a parsimonious tradesman. He'd get my business, that's for sure.

50955856822_dc17e9483c_b.jpg

No apologies necessary here, as it's always a worthy occasion when an Alfa Sprint is spotted.

50955751096_d6fec8d332_b.jpg

This one looked to be in fine daily fettle, which is good to see. Strangely enough, these aren't exactly uncommon over here and they're often seen up for grabs on Trademe, albeit at wildly varying batshit crazy prices. Don't think I've ever noticed the jaunty rear indicators on these facelift Sprints. Interesting.

50955751206_e5652b6805_b.jpg

Whilst perusing the mags in the supermarket, I saw this, which looks very much to me like a photo that @trigger would've taken - that fencing sure looks familiar. Could it be one of @MarinaJosh's cars, perhaps?

50955856602_148cdccae5_b.jpg

I'll end on a high with what must be a contender for spot of the year for me - I've no idea where this had been dragged out from!

50955048223_904a0389e7_b.jpg

Here's a digitally zoomed close-up, to help soak it all in and also because there were normal looking people across the road, so I didn't want to leave my car and look like a weirdo. I spotted this about 6 months ago, had wondered what had happened to it and then a couple of weeks back, saw it in a scrap yard the next town along. Thankfully though, it hadn't joined the others in the squashed up piles, so here's hoping it has a stay of execution. I'd absolutely love to see this plying the streets again, as is (except for the FUSION sticker). 

Bye!

Brilliant spots again Jon!

I love those Jeep Gladiator’s. It was the Tremors one Val & Earl drove that got me into them. I’m still yet to own one though! 
The Volvo 760 is an absolute beauty too, looks immaculate. Rare colour for a 700 too (obviously hearse/limo variants aside) I think black wasn’t on the normal colour palette but was a special order colour only. The red interior sets it off nicely.

On 3/1/2021 at 1:59 AM, bunglebus said:

Somehow missed the last 9 months or so of posts so that was a fun Sunday read. I have long hankered after doing a US road trip with no particular destination, just exploring Nowhere USA looking for old junk

Thanks, I'm glad someone finds my witterings 'fun'! Actually, I enjoy wasting my time with this lark, as it means I have some free time to muck about doing something needless purely for fun, so I suppose I'll carry on spotting and posting them up here.

For obvious reasons, I'd delay a US road trip for a wee while but if you do get the opportunity, defo do it, as I think you'd enjoy it as much as you imagine you would. The sheer size of the country is perfect for milling about without a schedule and there's so many differing climates, that it's like visiting several countries. And there's old stuff EVERYWHERE!

On 3/1/2021 at 2:01 AM, danthecapriman said:

Brilliant spots again Jon!

I love those Jeep Gladiator’s. It was the Tremors one Val & Earl drove that got me into them. I’m still yet to own one though! 
The Volvo 760 is an absolute beauty too, looks immaculate. Rare colour for a 700 too (obviously hearse/limo variants aside) I think black wasn’t on the normal colour palette but was a special order colour only. The red interior sets it off nicely.

There's still plenty of those Gladiators/J series Jeeps around, so make it happen! I'd love to tour the US in something old and them import it back to NZ although I wouldn't buy one of these, I would seriously consider a Wagoneer version, at the right price/condition.

On the 760 front, I've a feeling that it might have been dark blue, rather than black, so perhaps not quite so rare but regardless, it's still ruddy excellent.

On 3/1/2021 at 9:51 AM, STUNO said:

Stolen Wolseley spot!!!!  That's where I park every day for work. I was hoping it had gone to be got going again  !. The Accord rear looks to be standard as I remember them here.

Fancy another project, now you've a spare spot in the driveway?!

Anyway, I found some more stuff on my phone, so I might as well bosh them up:

50996014466_071de36bb1_b.jpg

Yes! More speedway! I hear you collectively shout. Don't worry if you don't care for such activities, there were other things of interest. Like this hand painted sign, for instance. I'm noticing a vast increase in vinyl signs, where in the past there were hand painted ones. So if I see a good example of the former, I take the time to appreciate them . Don't photograph too many but maybe that should be a side line hobby extension.

50995318638_0763d2f9be_b.jpg

Check out my Instagram-spec moody shot of a D Series Ford! Nice to see one still plying a trade, even if this particular one has likely been off the road for years.

50995318778_748c169c52_b.jpg

And here's a slightly more realistic photo of it, parked next to another bit of outdated plant. Top marks too for the hand painted signwriting on the cab. I do wonder whether someone's just keen to see this oldie running for the sake of it, as a much more modern water tanker was used to wet the track during racing.

50995318838_f21d3d23fc_b.jpg

And here's some racing. Not a massive fan of the style of many of the classes of cars being thrown around the track but nevertheless, it's still interesting to watch. These things above duck and roll all over the place round corners, which must be quite exciting to pilot.

50996014731_04720b4315_b.jpg

Inevitably though, some of them crash, so out with the trusty Bedford J Series to the rescue! Twin-wheeled Isuzu MU with natty rear cover watches on.

50996129992_f4ac291e9e_b.jpg

Might as well add another J Series to the job.

50996129917_738047722c_b.jpg

This one looks like a heavier model, with the twin rears. I got the feeling that the drivers were the owners, which is quite cool if that is the case.

50996014581_b24c223e99_b.jpg

Might as well have another sign - this one's a little ripper and looks to have been around a few years. 

50996014516_581897cf88_b.jpg

It may well look like I've suddenly transported back to a British housing estate from 20 years ago but that's just the illusion of a poorly focusing camera and an overcast day in suburban Auckland. Really hope I catch this Capri again and get a proper photo. Mk3s apparently weren't imported new into NZ, so this is  something to celebrate. And I bet it's pretty solid, too!

50996129742_e411452d03_b.jpg

This was a rushed, off the cuff shot for various reasons, so again apologies for the quality but the subject matter was too good not to share. This Caravan is mint! Barring the 16a outlet, there were no other mods I could see inside or out. I wonder what the owner uses it for? Whatever it is, they do so carefully,

50995318703_d342a10496_b.jpg

These are owned by a couple of younger lads, which is nice to see. Wheels on the 7 series aren't entirely to my taste but they unbolt easily enough and could be much worse. The '02 has been tastefully fettled and the owner also has a 1980's 5 door G Wagen, which again is not hideous, or made to look like a ghastly modern one, like so many older ones have been victim to.

50996014491_86292bf8bf_b.jpg

On an entirely different note, here's some interesting wall art I spotted at a restaurant in Ohakune, back in the winter. Believe me when I say that the interior decor in the place is not as grim as this image emits.

40910491712_669f35931b_b.jpg

And here's me spotting them, a couple of years before! Naturally, they're from Horopito scrap yard, which is about 15 minutes away. I suppose the place isn't a museum and everything has a price but I was a little sad to see them sitting on the wall of a restaurant as decoration, as businesses come and go (especially of late) or redecorate every now and then, so I'd hate to see them binned as a result. Or maybe I should not be so pessimistic and appreciate that they have a much wider audience now.

50995319008_5a6d85a86e_b.jpg

Anyway, that's enough guff for now. I'm off to read some old car mags instead. Cheerio!

On 3/3/2021 at 1:39 AM, barrett said:

What are those hub caps off then? They're really distinctive but I can't place them at all.

Nice mug.

I'm pretty sure they're Ford items, though can't remember if any had Ford badges pressed in. And thanks, that mug is a recent addition and I do quite like it!

On 3/3/2021 at 9:37 AM, STUNO said:

FORD  if I remember correctly, see Prefect and Anglia 1950 ish

V8 Pilot too, I think. But days of yore were simpler times, so I suppose it would've been acceptable for most things to share a common hub cap, irrespective of their pecking order in the range. Was certainly the case for the later Ford 'dog dish' caps.

On 3/4/2021 at 9:34 AM, hairnet said:

jonathan you are a MADMAN :D

the alfa with the small plate - orig kiwi? - modern numbers are 3-3 or 2-4 right?

I R DISAPOINT

RIP later today :( *drowns sorrow with tea instead of speights stout

I think what you're asking there is: Does the Alfa Sprint wear its original plate? If so, then the answer is yes. It may look a little incongruous, being such a late model Sprint ('87, I think) but the white plates came about in late '86; My August '86 registered Visa has black plates, yet my December registered Cavalier has white plates, for instance.

And yes, modern numbers (post 2000/2001 ish) are ABC123, whereas prior to that, it was AB1234, issued sequentially from I think DA1 onwards. Prior to that, the A, B or C letters told you whereabouts in the country the plate was issued from.

And thank you for recognising my MADMAN persona. Very apt.

So, here's some more photos, from a thing I went to last year:

49763681852_7f3e04dee7_b.jpg

I won't scoff whatsoever at this being 'just' a replica Stratos, especially as the owner has chosen NOT to paint it in Alitalia colours and instead chosen possibly the best civilian colour these came in. Seemingly, the full on rally spec livery is an agonising dilemma that nary a Stratos kit builder can resist.

Oh yeah, nice 205.

49763682237_3a7225857d_b.jpg

These are a bit of alright and I'm sure one or two have featured here before. This is the NZ only spec 5 door Corolla GT - the GTs sold elsewhere being the gawky 3 door ones, or the RWD AE86. These came with leather interiors too and seemed to be more common in a bronzy gold colour. Lots also came with black plates which are naturally better but there's something pleasing about the 'thick' font of these early white plates.

49763359356_5f158219ee_b.jpg

Lovely car, iconic head rest shape but a shame the plate has been substituted for one presumably sourced from the UK; hopefully the original still exists. That said, I can understand why the owner's done the swap, as kiwi plates are a funny old size, which makes many a European car look a bit wrong, when they have such big plate gaps. Whoever created the kiwi plate size pulled a blinder for future generations, as they're ideal for Japanese imports.

49763689927_baec49be63_b.jpg

Welcome to NZ, where original Minis still exist. And nice 205, too. the condition of ours is now embarrassingly awful. Far beyond the 'lived in' look, which often doesn't suit hot hatches anyway.

49762831828_3018cb1f27_b.jpg

OK, so we've some mods but they're tasteful. Well, apart from those seats. Bonus background Delta too, with interesting OO issued plates, which makes it look like the number plates is 6 numbers. When I say interesting, I mean 'chatting to a bedbound hospital patient' interesting.

49763689637_c9c0303915_b.jpg

And yet another Mini left standa.... hang on, if you look closely (and ignore the terrible focus) it's been dabbled with. 

49763689532_9d1679c798_b.jpg

Look, they've changed the seats! "Looks a bit Rough" is indeed what I say about all that engineering and standards of welding. I wonder which would be less pleasant to pilot - this, or @cobblers Skoda thing he won recently?

49763359056_e3cab61302_b.jpg

I was AMPED to see this SHOCKINGLY nice Buick ELECTRA. WATT a ride!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

49762831308_10d92e21e7_b.jpg

Imp van with one of those "No Shit" number plates people are oddly attracted to. This has previously worn the plate MY IMP, which has since passed onto another forgetful, unoriginal Imp owner. Two sets of black plates lost for all this toss. (note to self: remember there's a global pandemic on and this guff really doesn't matter)

49763689157_f47c6373a3_b.jpg

Nice Superbee here and strangely enough, my camera hasn't gone all funny, as it's wont to do with red and orange cars.

49763689277_e1747ed6eb_b.jpg

See what I mean? I'd HAZZARD a guess this plate has something to do with a kids TV programme. Note the Sierra Cosworth with the windows down, garnering no unwanted attention.

49763358631_b56bfa3caf_b.jpg

Regular readers (all 3 of you) will probably remember that time I went to a hill climb - it's probably waffled about a couple of pages back. Anyway, here we are at Leadfoot 2020, hosted in late February. Good timing! And here's a somewhat modified Ford(?)

49762830878_15a5ab26b1_b.jpg

For anyone who hasn't read this tosh before or simply can't remember, the weekend of racing is hosted by Rod Millen, who amongst other things was a rally driver for Mazda back in the 1980's - hence this RX7, which is one he campaigned back then. He's also won Pikes Peak and raced stadium trucks too and owns a collection of past cars he's raced, plus others. So he is of course, minted. That lovely smooth tarmac you see there is part of the mile long course and is the driveway to his house!

49762830798_4284cd1481_b.jpg

There's plenty of places to wander about and catch the action. This Mustang is on its way back down the track, before the next rounds. Love the livery but this was the only time I saw it running, sadly.

49763358381_15d737dcd3_b.jpg

We've seen this one before but here it is again. Contrived, yes. But also quick, which is what matters here.

49762830553_5cd60b282d_b.jpg

I used to know what these were called but I can't remember now. @barrett will tell us what it is. This was owned by a guy who lives in Hawaii and had it brought over for this event, so major kudos there. Also, great colour, fabulous wheels and a lovely sound. It looked to be a right handful too, so a pleasure to watch.

49762830663_7c5cf072d6_b.jpg

Despite their irksome appearance the thick white stripes on this XC Falcon are period correct. It's even called a Cobra! Word is that Ford were having trouble shifting the coupes and had a load of unused body shells left over, so they knocked out these, albeit in white with blue stripes for the road versions. They're fair dinkum subjects now for high valued yet awful Aussie mods but stripes aside, this one is a bit of alright. 

On reflection, I think that this one just hasn't been shot at its most flattering angle. I do still bloody love these XA/XB/XC coupes.

49763688497_bc777fc5e9_b.jpg

And here's Mad Mike (sponsored by Mazda) doing a jump.

49763688397_f1e49b9b20_b.jpg

Wee!

Lots more to come. Apologies to those who may not like motorsport photos.

On 3/11/2021 at 1:36 AM, barrett said:

It's a Scarab, @Jon

That's the sausage, thanks mate!

49763354491_4d426c875b_b.jpg

Back on track, there was this tasty number, which I think was one of Rod's earlier rally cars. Think it was driven by one of his sons. From memory of the commentators, one son was flown in from the US, where he works as a stunt driver in the film industry. On another note, there's seemingly a lot of Hillman Avenger in these rear 3/4 lines, which I'd never noticed before. Or is it just me?

49763685282_dfdac5022d_b.jpg

Not a real D but apparently has been owned long term by an older lady enthusiast, who'd lent it out to her son to hoon around in. Was still a nice thing to see and what was more impressive was that we saw it drive past on the way home, when we stopped in a nearby town for dinner. It was dark within 30 minutes of seeing it and the road it was taking had over an hour's drive over hilly ranges until the next bit of civilisation, so bloody good on ya, cobber.

49762827478_8a5bb13b6f_b.jpg

Stadium truck!! I think this was another of the host's ex-racers and the two Tannoy chaps mentioned this had been rebuilt from boxes of bits in Rod's US workshop. How much money does this bloke have?!

Anyway, I was over the moon to see this, as I had the Tamiya 1/10 scale RC version growing up, which I spent many an hour building, painting and 'driving'. Then cleaning and repairing, all whilst waiting for the batteries to recharge.  What's best is that 25 years later, it still exists and was out only the other day, with my 9 yeal old niece at the controls.

49762827528_45ab34298b_b.jpg

Don't ask me what powered this Starlet. The answer would just be 'something fast'. Probably a 4cyl engine but these seem rife for just sticking in anything of any sort that'll make it fly about the place. Nice plates.

49763682002_4df1f9303f_b.jpg

Initially, I was mildly ambivalent to this HQ, most probably due to the paint scheme, which is a little too new for my liking. But to it and the driver's major credit, it made it into the top 10 shootout of the fastest vehicles up the hill at the end of the day, so who am I to judge?

49763685702_5aed1b61d1_b.jpg

Kudos to the driver for keeping this thing on the track and being so rapid, as it did look to be a handful. I'll also say that the rear end is much more visually pleasing and that I rather like the chrome delete, in this instance.

49763357911_00c84cf188_b.jpg

Walking a bit further up the hill, we bagged a spot at the major apex, where seemingly much time is either made or wasted. I think this Imp was from Wales, so another jet-setter! Early 2020, eh.....?

49763357866_00488a7bc4_b.jpg

Sweeney-esque cornering pose of my favourite MkII Escort, which has featured many a time before here. That said, it's just as much due to me liking it as it is to it turning up to things I go to and being used.

49762830078_59500c2690_b.jpg

Have a gratuitous second shot, even if it's sent the orange stripe all funny. This one is trailered home and I only know this, as I saw it being towed home at another event I went to. No covered trailer for this high valued icon. And it was being towed home by a Holden ute!!

49762823758_72416ff9d4_b.jpg

A rare shot of an AE86 taking a relatively clean line round a tight bend. I think this livery was based on something historically accurate/iconic, from memory.

49762829988_17d3e9480e_b.jpg

Here's that Mazda again, now not looking much like an Avenger but being safely piloted in the hands of a Hollywood professional.

49763688012_e69744b9ce_b.jpg

Oops! Made it out though, thankfully.

49763687907_d536c3b6ee_b.jpg

This was a bit of fun to see and made a few trips up the hill. I should put truck racing on my list of things to go and see.

49762829628_44d4e75226_b.jpg

And here's how refreshingly close we were able to get to several tonnes of sliding mass. It's OK, the safety bales and vinyl tape would save us!

49762829508_05f9f255ce_b.jpg

Let's end on Mad Mike doing a jump again, 'cos why not?

49763687527_be03d1de76_b.jpg

Bye!

• 3 weeks later...

Still watching some hill climb stuff here, so hope I'm not boring people too much. Here's a reportage from the top of the hill, at the last tricky corner before the final blat:

49763357031_45438f31cd_b.jpg

RX Mazda is mildly stanced from a gingerly rapid effort. Nice mild rear wheel cock in progress. 5.3/10

49762829033_599b6396c8_b.jpg

Good effort/sound from the Impreza here (it attracts my inner chav) and an extra point for dust cloud. 6.3/10

49762828623_b68b83c2e8_b.jpg

Alister McRae does a nice job of drifting round the corner here, judging by the lean and front wheel angle. Less of a dust cloud and more  of a diffusion but arguably more arty as a result. He's certainly a bit of an A-lister at this event!!!1   7.2/10

49763687257_073fc33bd0_b.jpg

Easy does it! And why not, when it's a flipping Bugatti? Still doesn't stop it being trailered home on a single axle trailer towed behind an early 2000's Commodore. Erm, 6.1/10

49763356171_8f4404e2ae_b.jpg

Here's that converted La France fire engine thing again. I'm going to have to award points for period dress but then immediately deduct an equal amount for the presence of a selfie stick, even if it is a sign of somebody's enjoyment and arguably a much more excusable setting than someone stood in Leicester Square looking at a pigeon. The radiator confirms it: 5.9/10 and I think that's being very fair.

49763687027_491f2d2827_b.jpg

I don't really know what this is? Something period? My mind keeps flitting between liking it and then not understanding why. That has no bearing whatsoever as to how it's approached this corner but in my confusion, I think it renders a 5.1/10.

49762823678_0975209d8f_b.jpg

The number plate tells me this is a recreation, originally based on an 1981 1800 auto, imported from Japan at 8 years old. Solid 6.8/10

49763686957_c5dc548ecf_b.jpg

But what a difference a fraction of a second makes! All of a sudden, we're now seeing all the track used and we've also changed colour tone, as well. On the edge cornering such as this deserves a solid 7.9/10 and no arguing.

49763355896_a4474f8da4_b.jpg

Here's another way to modify a Japanese import. I'm going to say the kerb hop was slightly more intended here but nevertheless, I shall award a score which reflects the general vim of it all, with seemingly no rim damage. 7.8/10

49763356426_5722e9fe23_b.jpg

Can't argue with the efforts of this Mini driver! A nice slid 8.4/10. Well done.

49763356881_30d3162054_b.jpg

But I'll award the top prize to the 911 driver, who always puts on a good show and somehow manages not to crash a very notoriously crash-hungry car (apparently). A post-pipping 8.41/10, to not hurt the Mini's feelings too much.