Jon's Spotting Thread. USA Road Trip.

Jon

Bump! Sorry folks, I had the idea to update this but just remembered that there's more chance to see the meteors whizzing past in the sky right about now, so I'm going to go a do that instead then go to bed. Will endeavour to update tomorrow, so watch this space!

I think they were sold in JDM-land too. Some may also have used the name Passage.

So they were, according to a quick google image search! They do look much nicer on some Nissan alloy wheels and dare I say it, slightly lowered, too. And whilst I'm on a blasphemous roll, can I freely admit that in most circumstances, I really don't like beige coloured cars? Most BL stuff can be excused for some reason but the rest of the time I think it looks awful. Sorry about that.

Anyway, we've now arrived to the heady, contemporary year of 2012! We had a week's holiday touring round the East cape of the north island, which has some very nice roads but in places is incredibly sparsely catered for basic amenities such as shops of any sort, or even petrol stations. Anyway, before all this stuff, our first stay was in Napier, an Art Deco styled town, restyled in this manner since this was the style at the time that a severe earthquake decimated the town in the 1920's. Anyway, history lesson over, here's some spots:

20120103-IMG_5750.jpg

First up is a car which is perilously close to nudging into 21st century territory, being built in 1999. Quite obviously a Mercedes clone, it is in fact a Ssangyong Chairman. According to Wikipedia, it may or may not be based on a W124 chassis but who knows? And who would've thought they'd built a RHD version? Unless this one's modified, of course.

20120103-IMG_5755.jpg

Everyone's favourite bona fide Pontiac, the Belmont-based Le Mans. 

20120103-IMG_5769.jpg

I spotted this XD Falcon ute from a hilltop look out at the highest part of town, where you can experience beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean and also look at piles and piles of shipping containers at the local port. This was probably about 500m away, so I think it came out quite well; I may have even got my tripod out for this shot. Shite dedication.

20120103-IMG_5784.jpg

Then I saw this fantastic JO Bedford on the steep drive down from the scenic lookout, clearly still working for a living, as I witnessed it doing so the next day.

20120103-IMG_5759.jpg

Hi Trigger!

20120103-IMG_5788.jpg

Saw this Toledo (or is it a FWD, being badged as a 1500?), so turned around and took a picture but didn't get out the car, as I remember being desperately busting for the loo. Shite semi-dedication.

20120103-IMG_5794-1.jpg

What a quality photograph. I think we can all agree that this was well worth posting up.

20120103-IMG_5751.jpg

Go on, be honest; beige does really look a bit crap, doesn't it? Nice Holden regardless, though.

20120103-IMG_5792.jpg

Twin headlights on this Bluebird doesn't denote a sporty model but rather that this is a 'van' version, something seemingly very common back in the day. Funny how they went to the trouble of creating these unique parts for these low spec models, which surely upped the cost of producing them. Smaller car based JDM vans still exist but I think the era of Toyota Crown and Nissan Skyline vans are well and truly over. Shame.

20120103-IMG_5791.jpg

I'm assuming that the Fashion Clearance sign had absolutely nothing to do with the GS or ADO16. 

20120103-IMG_5790.jpg

This base model Cortina seems to have benefited* from a few chrome adornments, so it may well be in long term silvertop ownership. Most likely a 2.0, as most Cortina IV and V were sold as over here. I don't think the 1.6 was even an option.

20120103-IMG_5764.jpg

Still a very common sight on the roads here.

20120103-IMG_5762.jpg

Ditto, though this first series front of these 323-based Ford Lasers is a little more difficult to spot. It's quite awkwardly styled, so naturally they're my favourite ones. I like how the crappy trims in different styles give the impression of bigger rear wheels, for that miser dragster look.

20120103-IMG_5763.jpg

If this were mine, I'd alter the signwriting so it said 'FOR HIGHER', since it's a crane. The crushing effect it would have on income generated would be worth it, I feel.

Onwards to other places now and the first thing captured was this Sigma on my favourite Mitsubishi steels that I can think of right now.

20120104-IMG_5805.jpg

Just looks so right parked up there, somehow.

20120104-IMG_5908-1.jpg

Cheerily yellow Mercedes trundles on the road which takes us into the retail wilderness as mentioned previously, so we turned back to get some supplies for our journey ahead.

20120104-IMG_5907-1.jpg

But not before bagging this winning motorised sandwich board opposite. However, it really was a good thing that we turned back, as I think I spotted perhaps the best thing I have ever spotted. I saw it darting past us as we were leaving a petrol station, so I made chase. Behold.........

.... A working, one owner from new Leyland 20!!!

20120104-IMG_5901-1.jpg

Luckily, I managed to catch the owner as he was getting out the van and before he shut the garage door, or it would have eluded me. As mentioned, it was bought new by him in 1966 (I think) and for a long time was used for work during the week and then would tow a racing car all over the country on weekends. The signwriting was hand painted in 1980 when they bought their current business and was as fresh as I imagine it would have been back then. The owner then gladly pulled it back out so I could get a front shot.

20120104-IMG_5903.jpg

Honestly, I know that in the 1960's NZ you'd be very happy to buy whatever you could actually lay your hands on but it's hard to believe that this was still being sold in the era of the Transit. Admittedly, these Leylands were beefed up compared to their Standard Atlas forebears and ran the venerable 2 litre Triumph motor, IIRC. I really, really hope this is still plying the streets. I don't care about its shortcomings though, I'd have happily bought this off him if I'd had any notion it was even remotely up for sale, as the gawky looks really do it for me, rather like one of those really ill conceived Eastern bloc vans. And I'll accept that this is a beige vehicle I can fully appreciate.

I'll admit that although I've still got a few worthy spots up my sleeve, I think it's safe to say that it won't get any better than this. 

Hmm, seems that obscure 50 year old vans still working for a living do not light many people's candles these days. Oh well, perhaps further infliction of my words and pictures may sway people away from all this talk of early 21st Century family hatchbacks. 

The road to wilderness was sadly devoid of such chariots of interest but it did have a pleasing amount of expired roadside relics.

20120103-IMG_5801-1.jpg

This one was the first that we encountered. Be thankful that this image was taken, as I'd not not long previously overtaken a massive, lumbering coach after being stuck behind it for ages.

20120105-IMG_5937.jpg

I can appreciate that's a nicely stewed 107" that could feasibly see the road again from a passing glance but I've got to admit that although my S1 LR want is strong, these don't do much for me. I'd rather have a short one (any inch is fine) and love the station wagons for their appalling styling. I duly noted the interesting application of Mitsubishi L200 wheels on a Hilux as I'm a complete saddo.

20120106-IMG_5953.jpg

You may not see them on the roads that much but there's still a healthy supply of these era Minx as they seem to have sold very well. That rear entry fuel filler was a very 60's/70's thing, wasn't it?

20120106-IMG_5949-1.jpg

These Sunnys are still knocking about too but I mostly took this photo as it just seemed quite nice. An older car would have set this off much better, I feel.

20120105-IMG_5945-1.jpg

Hide and seek Ford D. I'd love a go in an older truck but I must admit that my recent stint behind the wheel of a 1988 International ACCO was not always rosy, even if the interior was resplendent in brown painted metal.

20120106-IMG_5954.jpg

I don't think that HB Vivas were amazing sellers here, probably just a bit more steady. Plenty of HCs about though. This was sited on a very quiet back road but it still took some bottle to park up and nab this shot, from memory.

20120106-IMG_5962.jpg

Here's an interlude for any of those who are missing the 1990's. Taken simply because I had my camera to hand and it looked like a well cared for example. Insert reference to 7 sided coin of low denomination and dangerous number plate spacing. Fun fact: you're looking at the world's largest Pohutukawa tree in the background there.

20120106-IMG_5967-1.jpg

This was taken at one of the camp sites we stopped at. Those wheels would be ideal for one of the forum members who owns a Japanese taxi variant of this but he won't be getting any help from me on sourcing a set until he settles his bill for the Laurel hub caps I sourced to fit them. Does anyone have a number for Wakefield-based bailiffs?

20120106-IMG_5968.jpg

This was at the same camp site and was owned by the lady who ran the takeaway there that operated out of a caravan. I've purchased from a couple of these hostelries and they tend to operate in particularly rural areas, where it's this or cook something yourself. From experience, it's far, far quicker to just cook something yourself.

20120106-IMG_5975.jpg

And here's the aforementioned camp site. Note the estate version of a Nissan QX, which I think Nissan UK really should have pushed to bring in, as I reckon it would have outsold the saloon easily. Note also the Mercedes/Hanomag effort, which was absolutely hanging and was owned by a desperately boring fellow who harangued campers as they walked past with inane titbits about it.

20120106-IMG_5958.jpg

I've said before that I don't care much for these particular front ends on these Valiants, with the square lights. What I do appreciate though is the lovely patina it's attained and the timelessness of the whole scene. The offcuts of railway acting as chocks are a natty touch. I think it's since been bought by a forum member from a local forum I've joined, from memory.

20120105-IMG_5927-1.jpg

Here's a cheery scene from a beachside holiday villa next to another camping ground we stayed at. The affordable/unkempt Kiwi holiday home (bach, pronounced batch) is fast becoming a thing of the past, with gentrified examples taking their place at most of the sections within a couple of hours' drive from Auckland. As an aside, Aucklanders are known as JAFAs, which I originally thought was spelt with a double F and was a reference to their climate, which is beneficial to citrus fruit growth. Turns out it's an abbreviation for Just Another Fucking Aucklander, which I much prefer.

20120105-IMG_5932-1.jpg

Anyway, here's our modest camping outfit for this trip, parked amongst the many JDM campers/buses. Don't worry, the rear beam's since been sorted (unlike the paint work).

• 2 weeks later...

Jon if you ever spot this let me know. I have been trying to find out if is still around for a number of years but no luck so far. Tracing all these trucks is a sad little hobby of mine.

http://www.commercialmotor.com/big-lorry-blog/new-zealand-s-only-stonefield.-but-where-is-it-now

I've stuck a reference to it on an NZ forum but no details as yet. Not started a new thread to ask as such or anything so it may not attract too many users but it's bound to be knocking about somewhere if it still has a personal plate assigned to it.

Righto, on with the dross.

20120325-IMG_6388.jpg

Our 205 meets a fellow sufferer of lacquer peel. Not sure if a non-sporting 3 door 205 was ever sold over here, so chances it's a UK import.

20121203-IMG_8078.jpg

Parked the 505 up next to a couple of local Mini spots. Note how I drove onto the public park to attain this shot, so close to the local police station. I'm more anarchic than Rick from the Young Ones.

20121203-IMG_8081.jpg

Once again, I'd parked where I shouldn't have and nabbed a shot of this Aussie Clubman. No doubt I then blew a raspberry whilst flicking V's at old people but I actually don't remember the details, as that's not cool.

20120216-109CANON010.jpg

Here's a few dressed pieces from a film I worked on, set during the last few months of WWII Japan. Here's a historically accurate Jailbar Ford.

20120216-109CANON018.jpg

And a big brown sedan, most likely a Subaru Mouse Refusal I think.

20120216-109CANON330.jpg

Suzuki House Chaffinch.

20120317-109CANON332.jpg

Here's one of a couple of trucks rigged with green screens at an airport (this effort is 40 x 20ft), to act as a mobile background to shoot against and block out modern stuff hanging around in the back of shot.

20120317-109CANON328.jpg

I puttered about in this a wee while and it did its job well but needed navigating with a man in front, especially for left hand turns.

20120317-109CANON336.jpg

This bit wasn't set in Japan, thankfully.

20120317-109CANON338.jpg

I think this is an Opel Blitz and if it is, I'm probably one of a few who have seen this one and the other much later one (bizarrely RHD) languishing in Horopito scrap yard (and is posted in my Horopito thread).

20120317-109CANON341.jpg

Late 80's F350 doing some work. Actually, this bit was in Japan too. Silly me.

20120317-109CANON346.jpg

Here's what it's towing. Sadly, cameras are very frowned upon on set, so I doubt I'll be taking any more photos, unless I decide to sell my soul and get a smart phone. To whet your appetite though, bear in mind that the Jeep J20 is still a useful working vehicle if looked after and I know of at least 3 rocking about on the front line.

20120223-109CANON030.jpg

Bloody hell, NZ's looking a bit shit, isn't it?! No, don't worry, it's just Sunderland. Had a very quick foray back to UK in 2012 to celebrate my Grandma's 100th (she's still going!) and went to see a mate from uni, so passed this catpisstarp to see if it was still around, as it was a local landmark to me. Happily still there, though the Chevanne it shared space with had gone and the Chevette was a new entrant, having previously been on the road.

20120223-109CANON033.jpg

Hahaha, look at this Punto's tow bar! Spotted in Sandyford, another of my previous places of dwelling. Haven't seen such a desperately bad number plate location due to tow since those seen on Metros and Avenger estates during childhood, where they were just plonked to one side (before the Alfa 156 made this acceptable).

20120617-20120617-IMG_7048-2.jpg

Back to normal now and this XD Falcon is from exactly the same era as my Commodore and if I'm honest, I'm not sure I'd have gone for the Holden if buying new. Rear doors not meeting the arches due to lengthening of these and the more plush saloons is still LOL though. Am guessing at a gentle past life carrying stiffs, judging by the shade. 

20120821-20120821-IMG_7159-2.jpg

Hey look, there's that cool Holden spotted a few posts back but looking even more workaday towing a trailer. 

20121003-IMG_7299.jpg

The owner of this Uno is obviously a member of ecomodder.com, judging by the rear underskirt air deflectors and aerodynamic aerial (aeroial).

20121003-IMG_7300.jpg

This is part of a fleet which contains a hearty level of similar steeds.

20121102-IMG_7421.jpg

Flaming bonza, hats with corkscrews and poor relations with natives, it's only a bloody P76!

20121102-IMG_7420.jpg

With louvres! Strike me roan.

20121203-IMG_8085.jpg

Used to see this around a bit but not any more. Was driven by a young girl, from memory.

20121203-IMG_8086.jpg

Aah, the Mitsubishi 380, the P76 for the 21st century. Wikipedia it if you're bothered.

20121203-IMG_8088.jpg

This tidy SD1 was easily captured with the ruse of photographing what must be the most awful/awesome sculpture I've ever seen. I'm sure it's trying to represent the bond of family but that child could not be more inappropriately placed. Inspired.

20121203-IMG_8089.jpg

I'll leave you with one local man's presumable shrine to the MKII Triumph 2000 and all its derivatives. This fella is most definitely one of life's winners. I counted around 20 from Google maps IIRC.

Wanganui now, the former home of forum member fotorabia before the lure of the Scottish climate proved too strong.

20121205-IMG_8094.jpg

If memory serves, he owned one of these shonkily styled Corollas but not in winner yellow. I think it was another actual colour though, so lots of points awarded for that. Fun fact: I drove past a Toyota dealership yesterday and they had two brand new Corollas (yes, the name never changed here) in yellow and in snot green, so perhaps there's a return to such activities.

20121205-IMG_8096.jpg

Facelift (minus points) BX with the best trims they came with after the grey ones with black pips on the S1 cars. No plastic rear side window, so cheap trim I guess.

20121205-IMG_8093.jpg

Woah! Look at this! JDM Mirage Turbo, identifiable by white plates (reg'd at a few years old), graphics and steels, which were different to the NZ Turbos. Driven by a white haired lady, so perhaps she's owned since freshly imported in the late 80's.

20121205-IMG_8100.jpg

Small town of Foxton down the road from Wanganui, on the way to Wellington. Notable for its half a Lada Niva (Lada Ni?). This shot was taken from the windmill they have there. At the time of visiting, the people running it were campaigning to get a permit to strap tourists to the sails for some extreme windmilling, which is frankly a ludicrous idea.

20121205-IMG_8106.jpg

Only a few doors down from the Ni was a trolleybus museum, which very surprisingly* FPB7 was already aware of. I think it's since been re-sited and the collection was in danger of being split up.

20121205-IMG_8107.jpg

I really dig the styling but realistically, what could you do with one? Great little eyebrow details above the headlights.

20121205-IMG_8108.jpg

Look at this later one in Stagecoach livery! Strange seeing the colours I remember seeing on buses in York in the 90's over here. From what I read, the modern shape 3 axle trolleybuses currently buzzing round Wellington (if they haven't been axed yet - they're due to) are actually these chassis, re-bodied with a lazy rear axle. Top shiteing Wellington!

20121207-20121207-IMG_8109.jpg

Speaking of the nation's capital, here's a very nice spot I witnessed, although I prefer the smaller pressed steel black NZ plates this probably has sitting about somewhere. Can't remember what the little emblem was on the door.

20121207-20121207-IMG_8111.jpg

Insert ambiguous sentence whereby you're unsure if the subject refers to an Austin 1100 or the shipping container, before end reveal.

20121208-20121208-IMG_8138.jpg

It's great having a mate visit who I trust to drive and is willing to drive at all opportunities while I ride shotgun shooting at unsuspecting victims. Spitfires are very uncommon here (as are Spridgets), so apologies for boring spot by UK standards. Look at that colour though, I bet it's pretty rare now, what with people's propensity for BRG and imitation Minilites when money needs to be spent on them.

20121208-20121208-IMG_8141.jpg

This was an event which was yet to happen at the time of spotting. HOT OFF THE PRESS!

20121208-20121208-IMG_8143.jpg

Fantastic masking skills there. 

20121208-20121208-IMG_8144.jpg

A Holden ute is on my list of things I like to think I'd like but probably will never own or would be a bit ambivalent about if I did. Would love to try one though.

20121208-20121208-IMG_8149.jpg

What can I say?

20121208-20121208-IMG_8154.jpg

It's one of those first series Ford Lasers with the awkward frontal styling again, though this time from a rear view. Spotted in Napier too like the earlier one, so 100% success there.

20121208-20121208-IMG_8167.jpg

Sat quietly awaiting its fate of ownership by a young gent wearing a baseball cap with a completely flat peak which no doubt has some graffiti motif on it.

20121208-IMG_8112.jpg

Chintzy cast iron seating somehow seems apt for the image these convey to me.

20121208-IMG_8152.jpg

BAM! Hot Datsun action shot. Looking at it now, I don't think there's any real styling element; there no cohesion, just bits that sort of match up all bunched together. Oh well,  it's still interesting!

20121208-IMG_8156.jpg

I heard the Thirsty Whale went down the SPOUT after they BLUE all their funds keeping this bus going but I'm not SHORE. MOBY I'll pay them a visit. Actually, I DOLPHINately will. Sorry about the puns, don't blubber about it.

20121209-20121209-IMG_8183.jpg

Bugger me sideways, here's another Napier Laser, this time in megaplush spec and bonus louvres. Look how they're mega raised to clear the rear wiper. 

20121209-20121209-IMG_8186.jpg

I think these Brazilian Type 2s were sold new over here, as there seem to be a few about. Some have the wraparound rear side windows too but of course without the all important front end that looks like a Blackpool tram, they're only worth a fraction of a splitty.

20121209-20121209-IMG_8187.jpg

I'm sure if this weren't immediately behind it, I'd have ignored it purely on the basis of those fake Minilites. Rest of it is nice though.

20121209-20121209-IMG_8190.jpg

Despite 90% of surviving Mk1 CFs looking dog rough, that doesn't stop me pining for one. mostly because they're more ubiquitous than Mk1/2 Transits which is what I'd really like.

20121209-20121209-IMG_8191.jpg

What I said about that Escort but x23 for those hideous rim. Clearly they are unaware of my headlight/rim equation of acceptability. Heathen.

Enough for now. More some other time. Stay tuned!

Yeah, it is a pretty great place to live, I must admit. There's plenty of modern dross floating about but it doesn't seem to be too hard to spot older stuff, it's just a case of having a camera to hand. Living outside of Auckland, I seem to miss out on depressing modern stuff like that FWD BMW Scenic, though I have actually seen one now.

Surely with such profuse deployment of WVO, you may be able to save up for a plane ticket over? There's also tonnes of chainsaws here, too!

The jailbar Japanese Ford wreck is not Ford, I'm fairly sure it is a Studebaker. The next wreck is Chevrolet about 1939. The wrecked 1940-1990 utility thing at first shouted 1960's Dodge light truck, but it may be the bonnet and part of the scuttle thrown/placed carefully on top of a modern ute.

Spout of knowledge* over.

What's the difference between winner yellow and beige?

It's going to be a sad, sad day when you eventually finish posting your photo backlog.

There's a subtle difference between winner yellow and beige; the former is a vibrant colour chosen by interesting folk (even if they select said hue on a weirdy looking Corolla) and the latter is a means of broadcasting to the world that you've simply given up on life, much like those cardigans in the same shade that all of a sudden appeal to those not long for this earth.

And fear not about the spots, there's a few more in the archives and I've even bagged one or two recently, so a second wind perhaps is on the cards.

And this is the tidier 5dr version. I think the 3dr is even worse.

Whereas the estate model does work quite well, barring that funny treatment they gave the boot lid/rear bumper area, however low a load sill it offered. The coupe was pretty smart, too but the hatches are quite lacklustre.

The jailbar Japanese Ford wreck is not Ford, I'm fairly sure it is a Studebaker. The next wreck is Chevrolet about 1939. The wrecked 1940-1990 utility thing at first shouted 1960's Dodge light truck, but it may be the bonnet and part of the scuttle thrown/placed carefully on top of a modern ute.

Spout of knowledge* over.

I bow to your superior knowledge (due to seniority!) about such matters and as such, I'll resist the urge to edit my post with your info, so as not to make you look like a senile old fool just spouting stuff I've already written!

Back into it and we're still in Napier, the town that keeps on giving. Check out the American styling influence of this big old Aussie bruiser, a Ford Fairlane I think:

20121209-20121209-IMG_8205.jpg

20121209-IMG_8204.jpg

Buying stuff at car boot sales is always more successful the older the car, I find. Too new a car and chances are that their table of wares is going to be some new overpriced tat and usually not much of it either, 'cos we all know modern stuff is tiny inside, eh 'shiters? Anyway, I don't buy plants from car boot sales as a general rule since I have a life (says the grown man photographing odd prosaic cars), so these rules don't really apply. Oh yeah, nice Escort van.

20121209-20121209-IMG_8212.jpg

Wow, it's really Ford overload at the moment, isn't it? I think this was two tone blue rather than just very sunny on the top and not underneath. Note to self: clear detritus from dash for improved spotting results. And learn to focus effectively.

20121209-20121209-IMG_8217.jpg

Hey look, it's one of those late Valiants Spottedlaurel has formed a fan club for. Though looks can be deceiving, it hasn't shrunk; that's just a very big boat in the background.

20121209-20121209-IMG_8218.jpg

I spotted this Superminx on the way to a winery  - la-di-dah, eh? Actually, us two males sat in the car park and let the ladies go round by themselves, which wasn't so enjoyable for them and therefore I don't think they bought any overpriced wine. Top Tip right there men.

20121209-20121209-IMG_8222.jpg

This SAAB was at said winery (in the less salubrious staff parking bit) and was documented merely because there aren't many over here and those that do putter about are usually turbos or cabriolets. Actually, I saw a cabriolet one the other day (sans camera, sadly) which was sporting a particularly crap home made wooden roof, with a flat panel straight over the rear seats. It really was as bad as it sounds.

20121209-20121209-IMG_8225.jpg

Scaff trucks naturally get a bit of a hard time carting about all that heavy stuff and scaffolders are hardly known as the most careful bunch of workers, so what a pleasant sight seeing such an aged ('86 at a guess) Ford badge engineered Mazda Titan doing the rounds and looking healthy to boot. I like the grille treatment that mimics that seen on late D Series Fords but from what I can gather, very few Kiwi versions sported them and these were no doubt launched a while after D Series sales ended. Fun Fact: Ford Cargo's were never officially imported here but there are plenty of them knocking about, all higher payloads and even the odd artic.

20121209-20121209-IMG_8227.jpg

Not sure if I prefer the twin round or single square light set-ups of these L200s. Who'd have thought such a looker would turn so ugly within about 10 years? Those late ones with the curved bottom rear kick to the cabs particularly irk me for some reason, though quite a lot of things in life achieve this measure, in all honesty.

20121209-20121209-IMG_8228.jpg

This is somewhat a filler pic here, I'll admit. Interesting to note that rather than spoiling the appearance of the front of their car with the addition of one of those car bras, the owner has presumably done the complete opposite, thus letting the virginal front end get heavily stonechipped and then painted black, thus achieving the exact same effect, albeit without the inexplicable sticky up flaps car bras always have.

20121209-20121209-IMG_8230.jpg

I think the rather lurid orange and lowered appearance would mark this out as owned by a bogan, the local version of a chav (or charva, as they were known when I was growing up) but the maintaining of a vinyl roof and sensibly dimension'ed wheels point otherwise. A UK car enthusiast of equivalent demographics would probably own a MKII Granada with MKIII wheels and chrome arches, at a guess.

20121209-20121209-IMG_8238.jpg

This scene is a bit of an enigma, as on first impressions it appears to offer a lot but on reflection, much of it is quite ordinary, just haphazardly placed. The F150 ambulance is a nice spot and presumably the same type of one I spotted later in the south island around 18 months later, still in service (it's probably on page 2 or 3 if you're interested).

20121209-20121209-IMG_8241.jpg

This Mini Clubman looks OK but from memory looked to have been owned by people who prioritise daubing the bodywork in red splodges over tending to rust issues. Look how sensibly scaled those JEEP headlights are for a modern though! I know they're a stylistic nod to the original but I'm surprised they aren't the size of pizza trays or something.

20121209-IMG_8207.jpg

Red hot action shot! Presumably in the early stages of flat peak graffiti motif baseball cap wearer's ownership, with the loss of rear bumper but the addition of JDM mirrors and questionable primer 'repair' section and yet no poorly styled alloys wheels. Also would benefit from Monster energy drink stickers, as that slash logo looks excellent on all the terribly modified cars it adorns.

20121210-20121210-IMG_8260.jpg

I remember this being filler at the time though from memory, I'm not sure I can remember the last time I saw one. The business it's parked in front of appears to sell the most boring stock imaginable but presumably thought that adding some tick boxes to the wall would jazz their image up a bit. Would be nice to add a couple to the bottom, like WOLF TRAPS or PROSTHETIC CARROTS and see if anyone noticed

20121210-20121210-IMG_8261.jpg.

This Clubman was a much nicer specimen. Note how I resisted the urge to call this a Clubfoot or something else that sounds marginably like Clubman, as I find this kind of lark incredibly unfunny and actually quite annoying, with Picarseole probably the worst offender. Don't lose any sleep if you're one of those offenders, I'm just saying.

20121210-20121210-IMG_8263.jpg

This is a nice looking early version of a wide body Daihatsu Delta, though seeing such stylistic chassis cabs is always a bit of a let down, as I'd like to see these cues continue further along the bodywork and not just stop at the load bed. Does that make any sense to anyone else other than me?

20121210-20121210-IMG_8265.jpg

Got to admit, I'm LICHEN this Minx more than the tidier, earlier one of the same MOULD seen earlier. SPORES it takes all sorts. I promise these puns will stop soon, so don't look so MORASS.

20121210-20121210-IMG_8275.jpg

I'm afraid I've nothing pithy to say about this glorious little petrol station. Sorry about that.

20121210-20121210-IMG_8288.jpg

I really like the bobbly hub caps on these 4WD L200s. Girls don't find such observations of much interest though, I've found.

20121210-IMG_8289.jpg

Let's end proceedings here with a re-hashed Mazda GC626, aka Ford Telstar. I like these and if you're unsure why, refer to my witterings re: early Ford Lasers. Another plus point is that well to do models such as this one often sported orange interiors, much like someone had forgotten to tell the Australians that the 1970's had ended.

Don't worry Bucketeer, there's some still to come.

Despite having seen some of these before, I am really enjoying this thread. Definitely the best mix of cars/commentary. I should make more effort with mine really, having previously moaned about threads of photos with no context.

Also, thank you so much for the Citroen Picarsehole comment, I thought I was the only one!

Nice posting once more....Particularly welcome in addition to the fit cars are the almost forgotten blue tinge to the thing where the clouds normally live and those peculiar black edges to all the things in the photograph (shadows, caused by sunlight, possibly). I love blighty but by God those islands are looking bloody attractive right now - the mix of familiar and exotic motoring, proper houses and lush greenage is making me go upstairs to check my pension statement.....Sorry to go on. Oh, and that Super Minx next to the dunnie needs to be a calendar shot. For January.

Despite having seen some of these before, I am really enjoying this thread. Definitely the best mix of cars/commentary. I should make more effort with mine really, having previously moaned about threads of photos with no context.

Also, thank you so much for the Citroen Picarsehole comment, I thought I was the only one!

That's nice to know re: the commentary, as it takes a fair while with my single digit keyboard stabs, despite kidding myself that I'm on the cusp of touch typing! It's a shame that people take the time to post photos but leave little back story on the cars as that's often just as interesting as the spots. 

And yeah, I'm just a mardy old bugger sometimes but then [R20]this is a public forum and it's my thread so I can fill it with whatever I like[/R20].

I love blighty but by God those islands are looking bloody attractive right now - the mix of familiar and exotic motoring, proper houses and lush greenage is making me go upstairs to check my pension statement.....Sorry to go on. 

It won't be helping that the seasons are at opposites at the moment and much of the UK is suffering from heavy flooding but I know what you mean; return UK visits are just so grey. As an Englisman, I'd recommend a trip to the Highlands though, as when it's experiencing good weather, its a fair representation of NZ without the long journey. And don't worry about going on, you're in good company here.

Still on a trip with visiting mates, we stayed at a Department of Conservation camp site which was situated right on a scenic lake side and is accessible only by unsurfaced roads for a fair few kilometres, which helps somewhat in keeping it quiet out of season (Christmas - Feb, basically school holidays). Here's our set-up and borrowed Isuzu Bighorn, which my cousin has since sold. Was an Irmscher model with very nice Recaro front seats - look out for them in scrap yards.

20121211-20121211-IMG_8295.jpg

Here's a couple of roadside relics encountered:

20121211-20121211-IMG_8344.jpg

It's quite a financially deprived area understandably, being so far from places of work, so maybe someone should alert the owner of current Mini prices - ignoring the ones I recently saw auctioned, of course.

20121211-20121211-IMG_8349.jpg

This looks to have been pretty comprehensively stripped but still looks like it'd prove to be of some use with the application of some wheels. I do like the red/brown lichen that forms over here and just looks right on older stuff. As an aside, lichen of any sort really doesn't look that good on semi-derelict Peugeot 205 GTIs. Ask me how I know.....

After a couple of hours of constantly being joggled about, where I had to take over the wheel from Mrs_Jon due to her seemingly unbeknown mechanical sympathy of driving over large sized boulders that formed the road surface, we were all very happy to see good old tarmacadam again, so she took to the wheel once again and I could spot away.

20121211-20121211-IMG_8351.jpg

If the front of this (HZ?) Holden looks familiar, it may be because it's identical to the front of the casting Matchbox used for a ute in their Superfast range. Same colour, too.

20121211-20121211-IMG_8354.jpg

I'm glad I nabbed this decrepit old bus in action, as the fleet have since been updated by yawn-worthy blandmobiles.

20121211-20121211-IMG_8365.jpg

What a spot! This was seen in Rotorua, home to possibly the best spot that got away, which coincidentally was a Rootes Arrow towing a trailer but adorning the nearside of the car was a homebuilt wooden glaziers frame with a huge pane of glass attached! It was so amazing, I'm wondering whether it was a mirage. Nah, it was definitely a Rootes Arrow!!!! I'm here all night, folks.

20121214-20121214-IMG_8370.jpg

On the way up to the airport to drop our mates off and one of them elects for one last drive, so I have liberty to point and shoot again. I wasn't sure whether this FJ40 Landcruiser crop sprayer working away would've been captured. It was certainly a long shot. Boom-tsh.

20121214-20121214-IMG_8403.jpg

A small potted history on NZ number plates: black plates came about in the early 60's and apparently were allocated originally by region (plates beginning with A in one region, B another and so on - Source: Old Father Time, aka STUNO) until that just didn't work out, so they thengot doled out nationally, changing to the next letter when the sequences ran out. Plates changed to white in late '86 when the Nx xxxx plates came about, so this is one of the last black plates issued. Personal plates weren't a thing at the time, so this would've had its old plates handed in and this chosen from the pile issued to each testing station that issues these, which of course leads me to suspect that the owner at the time did some impressive leg work as he reeeeeallllllly wanted a plate to tell everyone that his 1964 MGB was an MGB from 1964.

20121214-20121214-IMG_8407.jpg

Either regulations about truck lengths are a bit more relaxed here or Kiwis just love a bloody powerful truck (most likely a bit of both) but bonneted stuff isn't uncommon here. It's mostly US stuff though and they attract faster and more frequent gear changes than a Kawasaki AR50 but I'm sure the occupation is more enjoyable for it. One note to proper Kiwi truckies though (not lightweights like me with no trailer licences) - stop thinking it's OK to drive whilst on the phone!

20121214-20121214-IMG_8432.jpg

I drive past these Field Falcons all the time but could never get a shot until this trip. Not great but it's a nice landmark and landmarks are something I like on longer journeys, to give you an idea of progress being made.

20121214-20121214-IMG_8412.jpg

Hey look, it's one of those performance SAAB 900s as mentioned previously, this time at an airport car park/pound. My number plate geekiness reigns supreme again, as this is NZ registered and so it's not fresh from Hong Kong as I'd originally guessed but it is a UK import, according to Carjam. So where did they get those plates made up with those old font letters and numbers? And why do I car so much? I genuinely am intrigued, which is quite tragic, really.

20121214-20121214-IMG_8441.jpg

This is a local Dodge and is happily still seen out and about, so the owner's clearly a fan. I can't quite make out the name it's been given but I think it's snibh. Yeah, it's probably that.

20121214-20121214-IMG_8445.jpg

Check out this convoy! Spotted a the airport where it naturally elicited a double take by me, imagine my pleasure in encountering them again 180km south on our return journey. As an aside, 3 years later the current price of 91 at that petrol station (the top number) is 40c less and diesel is 54c less! These 123s look so right on colour coded trims, don't they?

20121216-20121216-IMG_8465.jpg

Remember that Nissan Bluebird I was running round in awhile? Don't worry if not but it was white like this one and assembled in Aus like this one but sadly was the conventional saloon and not this awkwardly styled hunchback (a phrase I've heard applied to Impreza wagons by CAR magazine IIRC). This model was one of the results of the 'Button era' whereby some dull politician messed about with the Aussie car industry, resulting in Holdens badged as Toyotas and vice versa along with Nissans badged as Fords and the other way round. This model was briefly available as a Ford Corsair. No, really!

What follows is the result of spottings from a non-shiter. The day after our UK friends left, another couple took their place and my mate Paul took it upon himself to spot on my behalf, since he knew of my interest in old porridge, as we'd house shared at uni back when I owned a Hillman Imp.

20121216-20121216-IMG_8493.jpg

That's certainly a novel way to transport a 'tinny' but I'm sure the resultant wind resistance no doubt limits it to a similar 90km/h max speed applied to towing vehicles. On looking at it further though, some real effort has gone into this set-up, so well done them.

20121216-20121216-IMG_8559.jpg

Hmmm, not to my tastes but good evidence that some cared for cars exist over here and not all shonky piles like I like to capture usually. Despite it looking very much like a Carina II, it's actually a Mark II and therefore RWD, hence low/wheels/stickers. I remember when I had stickers on everything but then I finished school. Ooooh, burn!

20121216-20121216-IMG_8563.jpg

Great effort, couldn't be more on the ball! This property is now home to something sensible and a Citroen XM.

20121216-20121216-IMG_8567.jpg

I'd love something like this but they really do keep their values and are often up for sale for delusional prices. It's a shame this one has an aftermarket bumper, as it would've had a cows horn one like the original Celicas, which looks ace.

20121216-20121216-IMG_8584.jpg

This is local to me and I refer to it as the Field of Dreams for obvious reasons. The old fella involved moves these round from time to time for reasons I can't really fathom and there's a fair bit of coming and going of the relics, though most are of a Rootes persuasion. Can you spot the P76? Exciting news from the other day: I drove past this and saw that lovely green P76 with louvres parked there, so I suppose we've found out where it lives!

20121216-20121216-IMG_8590.jpg

Here's another shot nabbed with gratuitous P76 content. Not only that but a Chrysler Alpine, too! That's no longer a feature and I doubt he'd scrap anything, so I guess something good has happened to it.

20121216-IMG_8460.jpg

I particularly like the framing achieved incorporating a bit of squashed possum. Nice one Paul.

20121216-IMG_8464.jpg

Again, not something I'd capture as they're so common but I appreciate that this might be of actual interest to a mostly British audience of weirdos. Maybe I'll buy one one day and disturb traffic flow like these invariably do.

20121216-IMG_8492.jpg

Hardtail Hardman outfit is somewhat spoilt by the substitution of worn out lace up boots (with the steel caps exposed) with a pair of Hi-tech Silver Arrows. Honestly, I bet these are such a depressing ride, as signalled by that fact that he's riding one handed, no doubt due to his carpal tunnel syndrome giving him gyp with those silly handlebars.

20121216-IMG_8497.jpg

More roadkill and the lesser spotted RWD 323 not yet resprayed in a tasteless colour. Owner was willing to spend time mucking about with the camber but not aligning the number plate centrally. Aaargh!

20121216-IMG_8502.jpg

Let's end for now on a real high, eh?! An eclectic selection this time but none too many of major distinction. Next time will be a general mop up of the waifs and strays of my photobucket account before we're bang up to date with a few new entries I've managed to spot recently

TTFN.

...so she took to the wheel once again and I could spot away.

20121211-20121211-IMG_8351.jpg

If the front of this (HZ?) Holden looks familiar, it may be because it's identical to the front of the casting Matchbox used for a ute in their Superfast range. Same colour, too.

HJ.

<Anorak on>

Fine Horizontal finned grille - HJ

Vertical finned grille - HX (the one strangled with the pollution gear)

Eggcrate grille - HZ

<Anorak off>

OK, general mop up as promised, not a great amount I must admit but it'll do for now.

20121211-IMG_8329.jpg

First up was this Toyota Dyna Megacab that was at the camp site we'd stayed at, that was in the previous post. I've never seen triple cab versions before but I have seen the odd Mitsubushi Canter version since. If this wasn't a treble row though, this obviously wouldn't even feature, so don't worry, my standards haven't dropped. Yet.

20130123-IMG_8844.jpg

This Corolla and the other next few spots were seen in the 45 minute drive to STUNO's Rover enthusiast mates' house, as we dropped off his SD1 and picked up its replacement, a manual Audi 200 Turbo quattro, which really was rather wonderful for the time that it stayed in the fold. Anyway, here's a prime example of a car that I should be interested in due to age but does utterly nothing for me. They're just so lacklustre in styling, though I do like the sticky out bin lid hub caps of the standard ones. Maybe if they'd made the grille design a little more intricate and fussy, that may have helped, I don't know.

20130123-IMG_8845.jpg

A Bighorn being trailered is of course pretty dull but the whole shebang is livened up when the tow car is a full on farmer spec FJ40, even with the fencing standards still loaded on the back. I've been offered one similar for the equivalent of £900 but I don't have anywhere to put it. That said, The Visa's due to be taking a sabbatical from the driveway for a while soon.....

20130123-IMG_8846.jpg

A Minor being trailered is of course pretty dull but the whole shebang is livened up when the tow car is a full on backpacker spec Mitsubishi Magna wagon! See what I did there? Word recycling. Actually, Minors aren't that boring, especially a commercial version. I await replies to the contrary that a commercial one is actually dubbed a Minor etc. I did note the split 'screen and updated grille, which should date it pretty accurately, so points to me for observation.

20130123-IMG_8847.jpg

Hey look, it's one of those Civics I'd previously dubbed as filler material. So sorry you have to suffer another one, especially one on white plates! Actually, on that score I must admit that I'm beginning to mellow a little but only a little. Take note of the 3 different brands of post box on show there, for maximum tourist confusion. 

20130123-IMG_8848.jpg

There are a few tell-tale details that would mark this as an NZ BMW 635, for those unfamiliar with international number plate styles. First up is the big AUTOMATIC badge, as many Kiwis love them. Second are shit modern wheels, though that could quite easily be Australia. The real signifier to me is the fact that something which has probably never attained a banger status here and would have been eye-wateringly expensive new has a flipping tow bar attached. And even the exhaust pipes re-routed also? Imagine such a practical device attached to the latest model. Actually, my cousin spotted a modern Aston Martin with one attached, so maybe I should stop being such a doubting Thomas.

20130123-IMG_8850.jpg

These Lancers are a bit more interesting than that model of Corolla above but only just. I think the boxy replacement model had a lot more going for it, by my own personal desirability scale.

20130123-IMG_8853.jpg

Here's part of the Rover hoard the new owner of the SD1 had. I was very impressed, as the guy lived on a very normal but quite built up residential street and I wouldn't have imagined there would have been space for them all. I'm not sure that he actually owned another SD1 at the time, so a sure fire signifier that this man has the Rover bug hard when the parts car is owned before he'd bought the running one.

20130123-IMG_8855.jpg

And here's the garage that was under the house. I'm sure there were more Rovers knocking about the place but this place looks like a nice place to tool about. Sorry.

DSCN4049.jpg

OK, a spot of reverse snobbery or whatever it is but I don't think this would've warranted a shutter click if it had been immaculate looking. The epitome of DO NOT PAINT, I suppose. As a postscript, I've only just noticed the B-pillar set-up of these 4 door models and how they're much less integrated to the design than the 2 door ones. It's right up there on the embuggerance-ometer with 5 door Corsa B mis-aligned door handles and the curved rear door tops on Volvo 245s.

DSCN4048.jpg

Hey, nice segway! Here's those offending doors I've just wittered on about, albeit in their rightful place. Something about square sausages, tins of Tennents and other feintly disparaging Scottish references.

DSCN4052.jpg

I love these posh Falcon-based Fords - this one is a Fairlane. I'll make my usual comment about it having lost its original black plates (MA5787) but the resulting search revealed that this was first registered in 1985! Imagine this on a B-reg with those stainless trims and that shiny metal front end treatment. I knew they offered these from the late 70's but wasn't aware they unchanged for so long. For those interested, the full size Falcon-based range at the time went thus: Falcon, Fairmont, Fairlane, LTD. 4 models of varying levels of posh-ness and you could still buy a Falcon Ghia, don't forget. No wonder all that Button-era stuff came about, in hindsight.

20130324-IMG_9874.jpg

Finally for now, I think even someone who bought an XM new at list price and sold it shortly after would point and laugh at the creator of this for their ability to throw such amounts of money down the drain. Note evidence of copious amounts of wob and enough gaffer tape to give the impression that it's what's keeping the cut and shut together. Seriously, was this type of thing ever cool outside of a VW meet? 

Having had a look through my photobucket account, I've noticed a few that I'm sure I've posted before on here but were lost in the great cull of a few years back. Anyone interested? I've also got a couple more smaller events from last year to post up and have generated a few more spots of late, so hopefully will have a bit of content to keep this ticking over for a while.

Using the 'no news is good news' ideal, I'm assuming that the non-torrent of comments means hordes of you are gushing with excitement at the prospect of even more outdated spots from the two trips to NZ before we moved here and a smattering of UK porridge, too. Bring on the extremely back-dated stuff!

My photobucket account really is a mess from this era and images are all over the shop, so I may be switching continents/hemispheres at seemingly random points.

NewZealand-14-1.jpg

From memory, this was my very first NZ spot, back in March 2008. Perhaps I should go back to that street on the anniversary of that momentous occasion and update 8 years on but I haven't a clue where it is, other than central Auckland. The Valiant is quite good and the stacker headlight Hiace is visually similar to the one former member uncle silvia bought when he toured the country around the same time. I think he posts on RR now; I do remember a quite profuse use of explanation marks in many of his posts but his content was worthy and I hope he returns one day.

wrapparty-13-2.jpg

Jah, we are in Germany now, in a small town called Coburg, where I did some work on a job called Albert's Memorial. Never saw it on telly but I think it did OK for an ITV drama. Anyway, Manta spotting was something to do on the evening of the only day off, then I went and got a kebab after a few drinks in a tiny bar that was flagrantly disregarding the smoking ban. I don't smoke, so that bit was a liberating yet crap experience for me. Shite livin'.

20100306-IMG_0206.jpg

Spotted this carny Crusader somewhere in Cheshire at some old house and farm experience thing. There was a very mint mkII Bedford Astravan in the car park from memory but people milling about the place put paid to any spotting evidence.

20100312-IMG_0260.jpg

Is this shade Limeflower? It's a very 70's colour and so if it was originally offered on Minors, I'm guessing it was quite a rare colour for them. Spotted in Newcastle and I remember it taking an inordinately long time to photograph as I was crushingly self concious of people looking at me doing so. Far fewer f***s are given these days.

20100306-IMG_0205.jpg

Hey look, it's that Cheshire place again. I'm assuming the Galloper reference is in no way indicative of its top speed, as I guess these have pretty glacial performance. Kudos for it still being used, though.

20100129-IMG_0009.jpg

Look at this, no cars in sight! Thought I'd drop in a few militaria puns but then decided I'm not GUNNER. Shazam!

20100305-IMG_0200.jpg

Cheshire again and that great big dish I can't remember the name of. Back in the day the Sierra was obviously the subject of my photo here but framing was to look like I was snapping the dish instead. Nowadays of course, that's probably what the average Autoshite gathering would look like. The SAAB next to the gigantic MINI was ours and I bought it when I was 25 because it wasn't a small hatchback like all my mates drove.

20091122-IMG_9417.jpg

Hey look, two Capris spotted in the far north of the north island. Have I posted this up in this thread before? Can't remember. If so, get over it, it's two Capris, man.

20091123-IMG_9491.jpg

This thrilling shot of a trailer was to show that despite it being built some time in the late 80's according to the rego sticker, 1100 rims were still the rim-du-jour and were happily still plying a trade (is a tyre pun acceptable when talking about wheels?) in the 21st Century. Welcome to the pinnacle of my honeymoon photos, folks.

20091120-IMG_9383.jpg

STUNO will probably be able to pinpoint the exact (former) location of this excellently adorned garage, which is sadly no more, from memory. I don't think there's a single uninteresting vehicle there; even the Hiace has a noteworthy frontal treatment that I;m sure was JDM only. Actually, looking at the sign now I've written all that, it was quite clearly situated in Rotoma, as it says on the sign. Dunce hat for me.

20091120-IMG_9382.jpg

More chod from the same place. That will be a very early 244 judging by the plate.

20091119-IMG_9259.jpg

These natty aluminium mudguards are period perfect but sadly they're getting a little harder to spot. This was seen in good old Napier, seemingly the town-a-plenty when it comes to this sort of lark. Good job actually, as although it's pretty, there's not much to recommend activities-wise if you're not that interested in idle walks along sea fronts etc.

20091119-IMG_9256.jpg

More Napier Deco goodness and a natty Civic wagon spot. These really increased in size from the preceding cutsie Trigger model, didn't they? That car in front is a Swift badge engineered as a Holden Barina, quite a late one I think before the Barina morphed in to a Corsa B, then became a Daewoo somethingorother and is now one of those Chevy hatchback things with the twin headlamps. We hired one in Canada called a Chevy Spark and it was quite dull but served us very well.

20091118-IMG_9246.jpg

Don't see many Ladas in NZ, though I think they sold quite well. The badge on this one looks quite Cyrillic and the Rivas were sold as the 2104 etc. so I'm guessing there was a difference in these to UK spec ones.

20091118-IMG_9243.jpg

Some reference about Hirst coming to visit, as will always be the case when one of these is mentioned on here. I've yet to try one but would love to do so.

20091118-IMG_9245.jpg

Just your average car line up over here. I've got to say that I don't think anyone refers to an exhaust over here as a muffler but I'm thinking they may in Aus and this is some corporate thing thrust upon the gentle New Zealanders by those big bad Aussie fat cats. Tsk.

20091118-IMG_9242.jpg

Shit, I think I'm running out of word enthusiasm. What can I say other than I approve generally about this whole thing? Soz.

20091118-IMG_9241.jpg

Blah blah blah, something about whatever type of Falcon variant this is (may be a Fairlane), plus something about saying hello to spottedlaurel and Petrolize due to ownerships of a Camry wagon and a Caldina wagon. Ugh.

20091114-IMG_9172.jpg

Ha! Brilliant spot there, what a beauty! I had notions of being able to own one of these when we moved over here as they were ubiquitous back in their day and a very popular second hand car (referred to quite dismissively as a Maori Mustang, according to my copy of Cassel's Dictionary of Slang) but they are way out of my meagre budget for cheap thrills. However, if I can't have the real thing, I can at least have a bit of art work featuring one, which proudly hangs on my living room wall:

20091226-IMG_9871.jpg

20091114-IMG_9171.jpg

Ha ha, look at this get-up! Loving the chilly bin (cool box) and colour coded gas bottle flanking either side of the demountable, for ultimate light obfuscation. I really want to scratch the ute itch and like camping but Mrs_Jon has slapped down a mega tough kibosh on one of these, as she thinks they're hideous. Got to say that she has a point in this case.

20090918-IMG_8843-1.jpg

Air craft tug spotted at Wolverhampton Half Penny Airport during a bit of location filming of Survior, series 2. God that was a right old whinge-fest drama, wasn't it?! Nice job though, bar some odious cast members.

20090916-IMG_8796-1.jpg

Here was the subject of that day's shoot, in case you were bothered. I've got to admit, it was quite some feat watching this take off and land, as the runway was quite short.

20090703-IMG_8630.jpg

Here's a Rootes spot mere metres away from my Imp, parked out side our natty yet eye-poppingly tiny rental cottage near Leeds. Honestly, I can't believe we lived in such a small place tbh. My garage is probably about the size of this place. Fond memories, though.

20090412-IMG_8106.jpg

Cor! That's got my juices flowing. Can't for the life of me remember where this was taken, though. (No need to answer, that's my attempt at a joke)

DSCN2507.jpg

This was a poncey exhibit at the Tate Modern some time back and I quite clearly had the bare-faced cheek to flout their strict no cameras rule to bag this somewhat badly composed shot. Which no doubt is classed as art in itself by those Saatchis brothers, eh (Daily Mail reading) fellas?!!!

wrapparty-13.jpg

Oh look, were back in Coburg, the day after said heavy night at the pub whence Opel bothering occured. Having lived in Germany in the late 80's for just over a year, I do remember when these Kafers were all over the place, often sporting hilarious* stickers on the engine covers.

wrapparty-31.jpg

This completes the trifecta of VW spots, which turned out to be pleasantly chronological from oldest to youngest. Nice one, photobucket.

wrapparty.jpg

This place featured quite a bit in another ITV drama called Unforgiven and I was quite taken by the SII Landy. Looking at this now, I remember when setting up that track seemed like quite an ordeal and the dolly quite big, yet that's nothing compared to the scale of stuff worked on over here. That's not disparaging, it's just different and maybe a nod back to when working on set was just a little more fun.

wrapparty-137.jpg

Oh wow, I'd forgotten how desperately crap most personalised plates are in Britain, after the free for all format used over here. Subaru Vivio is the subject of this photo despite being out of frame, should you have felt the need to query.

NewZealand-4-2.jpg

This was bagged outside the hotel we had to sort out for ourselves in Soeul when returning to the UK after our booking agent lost us a free hotel for the overnight stop due to some piddling technicality. I didn't sample the delights of the Mumbership Club, opting to return back to the Hotel Hub Herb to peruse the massive, noisy vending machine in our room, sited where a bedside table usually is, which sold noodles, cold drinks and condoms from memory.

Righto, I've wasted far too much time on this, so tune in next time for most probably more name dropping of Z-list forgotten productions and some British and NZ detritus. Laterz potaterz.

Using the 'no news is good news' ideal, I'm assuming that the non-torrent of comments means hordes of you are gushing with excitement at the prospect of even more outdated spots from the two trips to NZ before we moved here and a smattering of UK porridge, too. Bring on the extremely back-dated stuff!

20091118-IMG_9241.jpg

Blah blah blah, something about whatever type of Falcon variant this is (may be a Fairlane), plus something about saying hello to spottedlaurel and Petrolize due to ownerships of a Camry wagon and a Caldina wagon. Ugh.

Hello! I see my Camry estate every day, sulkily reminding me that it's sat there unused for two years. I have most of what I need to repair it, hopefully this year I'll find the time to get it back on the road. That generation is getting decidedly rare here and there must be a generation of people growing up who haven’t seen one or considered that a car can have twin rear wipers.

I liked the Manta B too, they're high on my list of non-Japanese cars I'd like to own, someday.

Best to assume yes is the answer to your first question.

That's a shame re: your Camry, so let's hope 2016 is its lucky year. I'd not really noticed before but they do feature on occasion as supporting artists (extras) in a few of my spots and are noticeably thinner on the ground than they used to be. I actually casually noted the double rear wiper set-up to a female member of our brigade when we had one in for cutting up and she laughed at me in a slightly puzzled, caring manner that anyone should observe such a thing, let alone comment on it. There's a term for that kind of failed anecdote here - Cool Story, Bro.

I've been neglecting the fleet of late too, as the stopgap Mondeo is providing sterling service as simply a means of transport and Mrs_Jon's Clio is in far too good a condition to provide any issues yet, subject to the odd bit of high priced preventative work (cam belt job on a 172 is not cheap!) but I've been tinkering about with the Visa these past few days and it's been very enjoyable. Next up are minor niggles on the 205, which have been put of for way too long. 

I know exactly where Rotoma garage is, at a place called Lake Rotoma between Rotorua and Whakatane. I have also owned 2 Ford falcons like the one above, the XF model, one the same colour as above (1985)and the other a metallic light green Fairmont (1989).

• 4 weeks later...

I'm back! Actually, it won't be a very big update as I've got to go out and try and get the air con fixed on Mrs_Jon's Clio, which became an issue a few days after a noisy power steering problem; in future, I won't mention anything to do with relia***ity of our current modern fleet.....

In January (2015 - topical!) we took a trip to Hampton Downs for the day to watch some noisy cars zip round the track as part of the Festival of Motorsport. What I will say is that our day's spectating was mostly spent sat on a grassy bank, mostly in the full sun without silly big hats and thus verily did my legs get hideously burnt, as I forgot to put any sun block on them. Still, I attained a handful of acceptable photos from the hundreds I took, as I was dicking about with the camera settings and trying to be arty. Silly me.

24122662784_fabac42143_c.jpg

I like the Chrysler dealer colours on this quite wildly modified Charger. Am thinking this is most likely a silhouette body, certainly at the rear.

24750827575_06dc894bd8_c.jpg

I almost accept these wheels on the Capri due to racing brakes but there's something just not right about it that's making it a but new looking for my liking. Perhaps its these coupled with the body colour painted light surrounds.

24724615996_2594fff150_c.jpg

I just thought the streaks of rubber left in this corner created a nice backdrop for the cars, so you'll see a bit of a theme here. Try not to worry to much about the same bit of tarmac not always looking the same shade; it's sometimes to do with the different light at the time but mostly to do with my dastardly tinkering in post-production, which is a heinous, self absorbed interest and often favours what looks right over what is accurate.

24633012032_6cf673fbe0_c.jpg

See what I mean?

24122632994_eb2c9318ab_c.jpg

Actually, that's not too bad a match. 

24633000602_a3339999ba_c.jpg

Less moody and a little more documenting here, simply because this E30 racing series offered up some very good racing. The positions of the first race were switched for the second, so the winner of the first started at the back and yet somehow carved through 30-odd competitors to win the second!

24632993262_beb741b14d_c.jpg

Here's another of those slightly nobbish photos.

24750790535_620b6e688e_c.jpg

Ooh, back to normal looking life. This cool 70's thing was raced by a guy who's wife later drove a standard 1098 Minor round the track and was given a head start or something and stuff happened and she got overtaken by this right at the end. Think of it as one of those anecdotes that was semi-interesting if only the facts could have been remembered.

24122603104_c0145834ae_c.jpg

Moody Mini and look, I've added a bit of blurring effect to this one! I've a vague idea of wanting to sell the odd photo in a home made frame and so let me know which of these art-wanky photo styles you think may be lapped up by people for a small amount of cash.

24455240200_70c84fa0f8_c.jpg

This one's a bit boringly centre-framed, I must admit.

Right, time has run out, I'll update more thrilling stuff later.

Car still not fixed and I've yet to go out in to the garage and try and sort it, so instead of doing something useful with my day, I've prioritised mucking about posting up photos to a niche interest forum instead. I don't really subscribe to the 'go-getting' nature of life, as you can tell....

24724554126_fa3bcf9d64_c.jpg

Let's recommence with a bit of class, eh? I've no idea whether this was a famously piloted or competitive Ferrari in its day but nevertheless, it was still impressive to see and hear, especially in this little old island. On a similar theme, there was another modern F1 car in attendance which had been converted to take two side by side passengers behind the driver and passenger rides for a few laps were being sold for something like $3000. All joking aside on the extortionate cost but how else would you get the chance to experience this? From the sounds of it, even with the steep price the whole enterprise was running at a loss.

24383097109_7b30bd8f1d_c.jpg

Again, a bit of expensive metal here and the Gulf colour scheme has been done to death but it does still work quite well. Plus, this contender was in the minority group of vehicles shot in focus, so had to be included, really.

24724730986_15bca5b25c_c.jpg

These Skyline somethingorother numbers are worth lots of money and aren't as readily available as 911s etc., so a rare opportunity to see one in use and also in a nice livery. Well done owner, well done.

24123877963_f5ca420d0b_c.jpg

Actually, I'll admit that this shot came out pretty well, especially since all but the Golf GTi aren't often seen on racing circuits, especially together. And yes, that is a RHD Volvo 242 GT, as they were sold over here (and Australia too, I think), albeit in small numbers.

24122561004_35f5fea7fd_c.jpg

Here's another shot of it, this time in focus but with the tail cut off and a stupid fence in the way. There was one for sale on Trademe not long back and I was tempted purely on price and rarity but they seem to have an enthusiastic cult following and it was snapped up pronto.

24632925062_e0c3999799_c.jpg

Final one from that day was this 635, or M6 or whatever. These really are lookers as I've mentioned before, so perhaps one to chalk onto the 'one day perhaps but probably not' bucket list. Though if I was considering a large German coupe of 1980's vintage, I'd be hard pushed to theoretically shun an early Mercedes SEC in gold or green or something with contrasting velour interior. 

Anyway, in light of this blatant lack of dour, unkempt, prosaic obsolete vehicles, I may as well post up a couple from the backlog as pennance.

IMG_6719_zpsrpwslhqo.jpg

Much as I love the shaped steel wheels that most lightweight MkII Transits came with, you really can't beat seeing one with the dog dish caps, especially if it's paired up with the round headlights. Unfortunately, this only attains 50% of my brief for Favourite MkII Transit Get-up but it'll do. Took me a long time to notice that all MkII windscreen surrounds were black, which is a strange anomaly, much like the primer grey slam panels on 205 GTis that look like a lazy accident repair.

IMG_8663_zpsblsddcgn.jpg

Just look at this! I frequently see it parked up in the same spot near where I stay when in Auckland but it took a while for me to be passing it in daylight. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to move that often, so wasn't difficult to bag. Still, I think this ranks pretty highly in my league of 2015 spots.

THREAD OF GOLD.

The Lada a couple of posts ago very definitely doesn't have cyrillic writing. Lada is лада in cyrillic. That particular 'Samara 5 door saloon' type version is the Lada/Vaz 21099. Not to be confused with the facelift one which is the 2115. (GET IN!! I managed some useful* information for once).

Also, is the big old red ambulance thing directly above the equivalent of the Reliant Regal van? I can't imagine many of them have escaped being 'Ghostbustered'.

And yes, I know that's not anywhere near the same model as Ecto1 but then the entire Reliant range has probably been 'Trottered' at some point, regardless of accuracy.

Congratulations! You've just unlocked the thread special phrase I had forced myself not to mention - Ecto 1! I reckon these are just as susceptible to wankering as Reliant tripods but the attrition rate is probably higher for any large sub-£1000 estate, due to whacky charity rallies. Anyway, have a spot prize (see what I did there?) for Ghostbusters reference:

24722044616_dc83652e4b_c.jpg

I didn't note the number plate, other than that it was an NZ one (NZxxxx), which puts it as most likely the highly sought after F reg territory. Had it not had the ace trims, I wouldn't have bothered, tbh.

And yeah, I reckon I was spouting bollocks re: the Samara saloon, though I didn't think it was actually cyrillic, rather a quite Russian style of font and not something slapped on its awkward derrière on arrival in NZ, as they probably did in Hull as part of the tarting up that UK Ladas received. Still, we all learnt a thing or two from you, so perhaps I'll spout some more tosh when I next spot an Eastern European car. Watch out!