Jon's Spotting Thread. USA Road Trip.

Jon

Is it possible to rereg a dereg? Some of those look quite roadworthy.

All excellent stuff by the way. I used to do adverts for those Bedfords in the 1980s for selling in Nigeria. I think nearly all of the late ones went to Africa.

Yes, it is possible to re-register a car but the warrant of fitness is quite a bit harder than standard by all accounts and it's a few hundred dollars in fees, so not quite the bargain which might be first thought. All because someone was too lazy to fill in a free form once a year.

I'd love to know what year the Bedford trucks stopped being produced for overseas markets by the way, as I'm overly interested in finding out the last production dates of such old fashioned models (e.g the last 'Grosser' Mercedes were apparently completed in 1981 but I've never found out when in 1981. Don't ask me why I care so much about irrelevant facts.) 

Lot 31. Renault 4CV, dereg. The auctioneer was waxing lyrical about 'trying to find another' etc.

lot%2031_zpsjbx9nyp6.jpeg

Worked wonders it seems, going for £74.85. It also makes a Peugeot 205 look massive!

Lot 32. Beetle 'soft top'

lot%2032_zpsvunot1lv.jpeg

£37.43

Lot 33. Austin A60 Van. Complete with Sid 'n Doris cab interior.

lot%2033_zps3klyhodj.jpeg

I was stood next to the buyer of this, who looked very pleased with himself; and why not, snagging it for £62.38

Lot 34. Bedford CA, RH.

lot%2034_zps5kuamcxy.jpeg

This was the first of a few things I conceivably would liked to have owned, with Mrs_Jon wanting a characterful old camper and liking the colour green. What she didn't seem to like apparently was 'the front that looks like it's stuck on', so I didn't bid. It made £174.65. Imagine my pleasure* upon seeing it loaded on the back of a local scrap man's truck just before I left. I like to think that there's no way it'd make the money back in these current climes being weighed in, so will hopefully sell for a nice fat profit to someone instead. Hopefully.

Lot 35. Golf, RH, hit severely with the shitty stick.

lot%2035_zpsvhw4poyx.jpeg

Sold to a couple of late teen entrepreneurs (one of which actually sported a mullet) for £9.98, far less than the price of a single banded steel. Top work, lads.

Lot 36. Leyland Mini Clubman body only.

lot%2036_zpsmekmyxma.jpeg

£9.98

Lot 37 Mercedes Benz, RH

lot%2037_zpsdrmpnbq8.jpeg

£24.95

Lot 38. MB 220S, RH.

lot%2038_zpstpgz0hrv.jpeg

£24.95. My Dad's dream car is a fintail Merc in black, so I should've bought it as a seemingly generous present.

Lot 39. MB diesel, dereg.

lot%2039_zps5xeh3q3t.jpeg

£24.95

Lot 40. Ponton Merc, RH

lot%2040_zpsi3yt5qqt.jpeg

Another dream car for Dad and just - can you guess? Yep, £24.95. All bought by the same bloke who was constantly on his phone and had a really annoying ringtone. Think he may have been linked with the scrappy guy mentioned previously.

Lot 41. MB 220S, dereg.

lot%2041_zps1ygynohj.jpeg

£199.60. Wait, what?! On hold ones go for 8 times less and this dereg one doesn't? Holds a chance of seeing the road again by some determined old duffer, perhaps?

Lot 42. '93 280E, RH.

lot%2042_zpsetpp3dwt.jpeg

Bought by the serial Benz buyer for £324.35, which is almost normal money for one of these. Has AMG looks but I'm sure that's all, those those headlights do look a little upmarket, unless I'm wrong.

Lot 43. Datsun Cherry, RH.

lot%2043_zpsh6augrqk.jpeg

£49.95

Lot 44. 1955 Minor 1000, RH.

lot%2044_zpsxxf82220.jpeg

Auctioneer took a lot of time to try and get a good price for this, probably allowing a bit of extra time for the interested Morris Minor bidders to check their arithmometers for conversion to shillings, before it went for £749.50 - the first car to exceed $1000!

Lot 45. 1.9 GTI, RH.

lot%2045_zpse39u0kmz.jpeg

This looked better in some aspects than ours but worse in others and that's really saying something. Sold to a young lad for £449.10.

Lot 46. MB 280, dereg.

lot%2046_zpsfrjadmf9.jpeg

£149.70

Lot 47. Renault 12, RH, with funky wheel trims.

lot%2047_zpsznjc4kgm.jpeg

Had a feeling I could have successfully bid on this with the coins rolling around in the glove box but it made a respectable (for the day) £187.13, due to a couple of interested bidders. Was nice and honest but Mrs_Jon hated it, so happy marriage ensues.

Lot 48. 1955 Studebaker Champion, RH.

lot%2048_zpshcv52wes.jpeg

Being old and American, it naturally made a healthy £2544.90 but was a little below reserve, so who knows what it sold for, if at all.

Lot 49, Rover 3 litre, RH.

lot%2049_zpsqfemql9c.jpeg

£74.85

Next time - more Beetles and a lot of Jags.

Yes, it is possible to re-register a car but the warrant of fitness is quite a bit harder than standard by all accounts and it's a few hundred dollars in fees, so not quite the bargain which might be first thought. All because someone was too lazy to fill in a free form once a year.

I'd love to know what year the Bedford trucks stopped being produced for overseas markets by the way, as I'm overly interested in finding out the last production dates of such old fashioned models (e.g the last 'Grosser' Mercedes were apparently completed in 1981 but I've never found out when in 1981. Don't ask me why I care so much about irrelevant facts.) 

Sounds like the dereg are ripe for export then.

I will have to do a bit of delving and see when I was working for that company (providing my memory is correct as to which particular company I was working for when I did the advertisements). I don't think I ever worked for any company for more than two years when I was in advertising.

Lot 50. 1973 Volvo 164, RH.

lot%2050_zpsnpdopegq.jpeg

I liked this a lot and it seemed really solid. Cherry on the cake was the fantastic purple interior. £74.85

Lot 51. 1969 Beetle 1300, RH.

lot%2051_zps59hbynag.jpeg

£149.70

Lot 52. 1960 Beetle, RH, runs.

lot%2052_zpsrrgyw9ez.jpeg

Now I'm not much of a Beetle man but this one was very appealing, especially as a supposed runner and did look solid and of course beautifully playworn. Hand hovered to bid assuming it'd stay low like the rest but it turned out that other punters had eyes too, so it went for £598.80, which is still cheap, of course.

Lot 53. 1970 Beetle (which it had to be, being lot 53), RH.

lot%2053_zpsz6vhsgze.jpeg

Mildly scene'd and looked OK, so £548.90

Lot 54. 2000 Beetle auto, RH.

lot%2054_zps2iwrhrjz.jpeg

Just look at it! What a state. Made £548.90 also and now the first car so far to be seen listed on Trademe at an inflated price: £1746 BIN! No work done of course and it turns out the lad who owned it previously swapped it to this hoarder for a Mini, as the auto box was buggered. I take it the current seller isn't aware....

Lot 55. Fiat 500, RH.

lot%2055_zpsphunakad.jpeg

My cousin sold his nice one last year when he moved to Canada but should be returning to NZ soon, so thought I'd bag one for him if they went cheap but this one made £274.45.

Lot 56. Another one, RH

lot%2056_zpspr3jcne0.jpeg

This one made £274.45, too. During bidding, I heard the noise of what sounded like a big dog barking but it turned out to be some very haggard woman's bidding noise, which was very off putting. The latter bit was probably some kind of special technique honed over years of bidding on old cars and smoking loads of fags. 

Lot 57. Didn't exist. Saw an early XJ with SOLD on the windscreen, so assumed it was that.

Lot 58. 1966 Jag 3.4 manual, RH

lot%2058_zpstu3nlepg.jpeg

£648.70

Lot 59. 1964 Jag MkII, unregistered, driveable.

lot%2059_zpsmrou7fca.jpeg

£499, RNM.

Lot 60. 1972 Daimler Sovereign, RH.

lot%2060_zpsvuy1smx3.jpeg

Resplendent in Arfur Daley Red. £99.80.

Lot 61. XJ6, RH.

lot%2061_zpsnnpwlepr.jpeg

£99.98

Lot 62. MkII Jag, dereg.

lot%2062_zpskjbvss6e.jpeg

£698.69, RNM.

Lot 63. 3.8s rolling body.

lot%2063_zpsanbwxd6s.jpeg

£124.75

Lot 64. MkII, RH.

lot%2064_zpsqmep8j4d.jpeg

£1047.90

Lot 65. 1982 XJ6 4.2, RH

lot%2065_zpsfsemchka.jpeg

A lot of car for £249.50

Lot 66. 1984 XJ6 4.2, RH.

lot%2066_zpsu258exg7.jpeg

£324.35

Lot 67. MkII, RH.

lot%2067_zps5haisfbm.jpeg

Achieve that Withnail & I look effortlessly, all for just £62.38.

Lot 68. 1976 XJ-S.

lot%2068_zpsv2i3jrvh.jpeg

This one had my bunghole fizzing big time. Having read far too many C&SCs, I knew that a very early, tidy XJ-S would make some good dough overseas and the Aconite paint seemed to be original, so it must be uber rare in that shade. Obviously there was a bit of loose trim etc. but it looked to be all there. No idea on the state of the engine etc. and so lame stuff like that and the fact it crossed the psychological $1000 barrier meant that some canny investor picked it up for a bargain £648.70. Mrs_Jon even approved of the styling but pointed out lack of space and would have been blisfully unaware of potential big bills. Oh well, dreams are free......

Kind words indeed Bucketeer! Still, the burning question is: what does your car smell like?!

Lot 69. Ford Transit van, rolling body.

lot%2069_zpsmmjav8cg.jpeg

I knew this was on the want list from the buyer I knew, so despite it being majorly interesting to me, it's way too much work and so there was no point bidding. Sold to him for £124.85. GOOD ARROWS.

Lot 70. 1975 Ford Transit pop top, RH.

lot%2070_zps9kahvtm2.jpeg

I think this had a straight 6 Falcon motor in it. I say in it, the term is about as loose as the engine, which was mostly sitting on the ground. There was a big hole in the floor cut to accept the larger motor, thus retaining the nicer 4cyl. front. Gotta admit the pig nose ones look pretty crap to me. This became car vehicle number 4 for known buyer, so I'm assuming that one will offer parts for the other. Sold for £124.85.

Lot 71. Ford Thames camper, reg status unknown.

lot%2071_zps4pfogwha.jpeg

Mrs_Jon hates snail-spec campers, so these practically-shaped edifices are out of the equation. About as out of the question as acceptable levels of comfort, roadholding and momentum this sorry looking package would offer. Also made £124.85.

Lot 72. 1974 Transit camper van, RH.

lot%2072_zps27p01dat.jpeg

The cab interior of this was actually very pleasant and even had a home made TRANSIT badge on the glove box, which shared a couple of the same letters side by side, so it either said T A A N S I T or T R R N S I T, I couldn't work it out. Would make a cracking ute, I reckon. Sold for £174.65.

Lot 73, Bedford camper van, driveable, RH.

lot%2073_zpsq9xxj0zz.jpeg

It may well have been driveable but it certainly wasn't dwellable and had plenty of rust. Made £548.90 - that's Bedford tax for you.

Lot 74. 1968 Commer camper van, dereg.

lot%2074_zps7qzlhazp.jpeg

This was the heartstring-tugging story without a happy ending - for me, at least. The catalogue mentioned the dreaded dereg but the writing on the windscreen contradicted this. By the time I'd worked this out, bidding was well underway, so I stuck up my hand when I heard $500. Unfortunately, there was a taller guy not far in front of me who had waved up his ticket number, so the auctioneer didn't see my hand and the bid went unnoticed and Lanky McWaveyhand twatface bagged it for a paltry £249.50. To rub salt in to the wounds, it was solid, had most of the camper interior intact and had a big seal of approval from Mrs_Jon. Arses.

Lot 75. Commer camper, parts only.

lot%2075_zps0jp0w2af.jpeg

Despite being Mr Sulky, I didn't go on the rebound warpath and bid on this minger, as it was quite literally minging. That green paint job is actually a bitumen coating or something and the rust was rampant on this one. £49.90 - someone was robbed.

Lot 76. Bedford van, black.

lot%2076_zpsd6vun2nz.jpeg

Weird one, this. UK import and thus not yet on the system, so the equivalent of dereg but with all the leper-like issues regarding rust that UK imports seem to attract. Had the number plate on the rear which I wrote down on a random scrap of paper somewhere, so would've been interesting to see if it'd been MOT'd recently enough to be on the system. Sold for £648.70

Lot 77. 1974 Morris J4, RH

lot%2077_zpsdk794bcx.jpeg

I remember this being sold on Trademe a few years back, so it's obviously done little since but sit around. Paint job whilst lurid didn't seem to be hiding too much, as it looked healthy. I liked this but Mrs_Jon couldn't see past the paint job, so some jammy bidder got it for £548.90

Lot 78. 1967 Bedford CA, RH.

lot%2078_zpsgxgzlws9.jpeg

Despite the gopping grille and vetoed frontal styling, this one really spoke to me (I enjoyed playing with the sliding driver's dooe and had notions of cruising along with it open) , so I stuck up my hand to bid on this but chickened out incredibly early, so it sold to someone else for £299.40. 

Lot 79. Commer camper van, parts only.

lot%2079_zpspgxagtxb.jpeg

Last van' to sell, or what was left of one. £49.90.

Apologies for the shorter update this time but it does take a while and I'm quite literally nodding off over the keyboard, so more tomorrow perhaps.

Scraping its way back to the top of the page for 5 minutes, here's a little update. We're well over half way now, thankfully.

Lot 80. BMW 2002, history unknown.

lot%2080_zpsavqaozps.jpeg

It may have said history unknown but the auctioneer titled it a tii, so I don't know how much of that was bullshit. £1746.50, RNM. 2002s are big bucks over here.

Lot 81. 1975 BMW 2002, RH.

lot%2081_zpse7jve3y7.jpeg

This was a lowly auto, so far less scene tax applied. £499

Lot 82. Reliant Scimitar GTE auto, RH.

lot%2082_zpsh8rw2okj.jpeg

Very unusual over here and something that Mrs_Jon found very appealing. I dropped a factiod about it to her but surprisingly it was about the bodies being fibreglass, not the Royal connection. Deemed too pricey to me, it went for £548.90.

Lot 83. 1974 Sunbeam Rapier, RH.

lot%2083_zpsgpgcbn0h.jpeg

This really got my juices flowing. The shit photo does it absolutely no justice whatsoever and at times I find the side profiles of these a little dumpy but this one in brown with period alloys was a game changer. Loved the interior, too. Again, fun sponge said no and I didn't even attempt to bid. Sold for £1097.80. It's like Practical Classics' optimistic price lists from 20 years ago. 

Lot 84. 1981 SD1 3500, RH.

lot%2084_zpsrg0pisty.jpeg

What more can I say than I love the colour but never really bonded with those wheels. Sold to the guy I know for £149.70. He's already got a S1 3500 and has recently sold a S2 2600 to his mate, who shares the storage space with him.

Lot 85. SD1 2600, dereg.

lot%2085_zpsapvocsiu.jpeg

Look at that colour - wowzers! If you've just won the first SD1, it'd be silly to ignore its next door neighbour, so this one was plucked up too. Seemed nice and honest for £124.75.

Lot 86. BMW 2002 semi convertible.

lot%2086_zpsgd1kb9th.jpeg

Again, shit pic but it looked like a Baur one to me and was on a nice set of Alpina style alloys, so no wonder it was RNM at £449.55.

Lot 87. 1965 Riley Elf MkII, RH.

lot%2087_zpsnw1w3per.jpeg

Pleasant as this is, in what way is it more desirable than a Sunbeam Rapier in similar/better condition? Ask the two old duffers who bid it up to £1347.30 for an explanation.

Lot 88. Sunbeam Imp body only.

lot%2088_zpskvnu8r3x.jpeg

Twin headlamp saloons were marketed over here and in Aus, so this will be genuine. £24.95.

Lot 89 was car parts and I couldn't even see any in the grass, so quite surprising they made £9.98.

Lot 90. 1969 Riley Elf MkIII, dereg, body only.

lot%2090_zpsmq1b9ji9.jpeg

£249.50. Why did this go for 3 times more than a fully working Morris 1300?! Nice wheels though.

Lot 91. 1966 Imp, dereg.

lot%2091_zpslmwzqdyj.jpeg

£249.50

Lot 92. BMW body only

lot%2092_zps0febryxh.jpeg

£14.97

Lot 93. Mini rolling body.

lot%2093_zpsf468qamu.jpeg

Dickhead scrap man shelled out £62.48 on this to then pile it on top of the Lot 18 Mini with the roof cut off, so presumably both will get weighed in. For a complete loss. Ha!

Lot 94. '78 Clubman, RH.

lot%2094_zpsvartnmcq.jpeg

£149.70

Lot 95. Blue Mini body only.

lot%2095_zpsmoi15qzt.jpeg

£4.99. Presumably bought by scrap man; I doubt he'd let one go so cheap otherwise.

Lot 96. Grey Mini body only.

lot%2096_zps5kvu6g0p.jpeg

Ditto. £4.99

Lot 97. Pale green/grey body Mini.

lot%2097_zpshkxdrg4n.jpeg

Came mounted on a dolly, so previously cared for. £9.98

Lot 98. Pale grey/green Mini body only.

lot%2098_zpsubkkpgo6.jpeg

What a cutie. Should've bid. Didn't. Sold for £19.96.

Lot 99. Multi colour Mini body only.

lot%2099_zpsjm0utjqj.jpeg

£24.95

Lot 100. Grey Mini body only.

lot%20100_zpsmmnjquxx.jpeg

£62.38. Presumably questionable add-ons appeal to prospective Mini owners. Who'd have guessed?

I take it banger racing doesn't happen in NZ?.....

Shame about the Commer, and I agree that Rapier looks pretty good.

I saw the 120A, was there much other Japanese stuff?

There isn't really banger racing but there are demo derbys, which I class as different, as they seem to be the last event of the evening after various racing formats, such as stock cars, midget racers etc. I've only witnessed one demo derby and the oldest car in attendance from memory was a KE70 wagon, which was surprising as they're very popular with boy racers.

There weren't many Japanese cars and only two from memory which weren't MR2s, one of which is coming up. Since Japanese American, Ford and Holden cars are the most popular and valuable classics in NZ, I'd say that was the main reason that prices remained so low at this auction.

Right, the end is nigh. Hope small British cars interest you.

Lot 101. Aussie assembled Clubman (note external door hinges and recessed door handles), dereg.

lot%20101_zpsv2hkx88s.jpeg

£99.80

Lot 102. 1973 Clubman, RH.

lot%20102_zpsefr7dojz.jpeg

Just noticed this was an Aussie assembled one, too. Bought by a Dad with his teenage daughter in tow, so I'd say that it's met its market. No idea if it had a turbo motor or not. £848.30

Lot 103. Mini body only

lot%20103_zpsmuuhrgex.jpeg

£149.70

Lot  104. Mk1 Mini, dereg.

lot%20104_zpshf0agnka.jpeg

£249.50

Lot 105. 1980 Mini 1275GT, RH.

lot%20105_zps4gqjibdd.jpeg

Didn't look too much like a 1275GT to me but what do I know? Where's the cool stripes and didn't the late ones have stripey seats? Others were obviously more convinced than me, as it became the most expensive Mini and second most expensive car definitively sold, at £2495.

Lot 106. 1962 Mini, dereg.

lot%20106_zpsrjcndz86.jpeg

Dereg or not, someone did well to bag a solid looking early Mini for £848.30

Lot 107. 1969 Mini van, RH.

lot%20107_zpsq0n3e21i.jpeg

Even with a potato camera shot, it's easy to draw a conclusion that the buyer of the previous lot got a better deal, with this one going for £748.50

Lot 108. 1975 Mini, dereg.

lot%20108_zpsjkuvtuoo.jpeg

Now it's just got silly. This one went for £748.50 too.

No lot 109.

Lot 110. Fiat 124 coupe, RH.

lot%20110_zpsu2e027tq.jpeg

This was very appealing. Not the original colour but it didn't seem to be hiding any horrors. A surprisingly wide car and again I thought it stood a chance of going for buttons but the bidding stared way higher than I would've bid and made a healthy £1746.50. 

Lot 111. 1984 Starlet, RH.

lot%20111_zpszqwziwxs.jpeg

Confused the Austin enthusiasts that this created much interest but they're obviously unaware of the interest in small affordable RWD cars that become popular and then rise in value. Bit like Minis, really. £449.50

Lot 112. A35 van, dereg.

lot%20112_zpsiqdzcfys.jpeg

Looks like a Sylvanian Families car in that colour scheme. £174.65. But if you thought that was bad......

Lot 113. Lanchester LD10, RH.

lot%20113_zpsmqfzwsdk.jpeg

Ugh. I'm guessing this is homebuilt but it's actually quite stylish. Obviously, much interest was lost due to the terrible hue but it sold for £998 and the very happy lady buyer let out a big whoop of joy. Takes all sorts.

Lot 114. MR2 Supercharged auto, RH.

lot%20114_zpstrpw7fo0.jpeg

Seemingly a bit buggered about with by those in the know. £349.30

Lot 115. 1982 Golf GTI, RH.

lot%20115_zpsc4g6tzbq.jpeg

This tickled Mrs_Jon's fancy, so I said I'd bid to $2000 but it went for over double that, making £2045.90. The auctioneer was bidding on behalf of a guy who'd driven up from Wellington that morning (a 12hr, 1000km round trip), looked at the Golf, left his maximum bid and then driven home. Fortunately for him, his was the winning bid.

Lot 116. 1964 Hillman Imp, rolling body.

lot%20116_zpsnrfrpkwe.jpeg

Had an idea of making a bid on this, since our wedding car 6 years previously was my Imp, so it seemed a nice idea to bag another one cheaply, especially as the reg was on hold. I've no hankering for another Imp but will consider anything at the right price. Despite listed as body only, it had a very fresh looking motor in the boot* and the widened steels hinted at a potential performance increase but it was all academic as it made a healthy £1172.65. 

Lot 117. Hillman Imp Police, RH.

lot%20117_zpsjbnnapfl.jpeg

No idea if NZ had panda cars or even Imps as police cars but the POLICE sign on the front does look very Kiwi, for some reason. £998

Lot 118. A35 Van, RH.

lot%20118_zpsbolzjjgp.jpeg

Looked like it could see the road again quite easily. £973.05

Lot 119.1954 A30, RH.

lot%20119_zpstojt6x2b.jpeg

£499. 

Lot 120. Fiat 500, dereg.

lot%20120_zpsty2w4zeo.jpeg

More garish paint and dereg but it didn't deter a couple of guys bidding it up to £998. Admittedly would look much better with a simply bit of pink deletion.

Lot 121. Austin A30, RH.

lot%20121_zpsrlzqfvyq.jpeg

Must've been a bit of terrible paint left from the Lanchester job. £399.20

Lot 122. 1947 Morris 8, RH

lot%20122_zpslbitl7ey.jpeg

£449.10

Lot 123. 1953 Morris Series E ute.

lot%20123_zps2xwcrlju.jpeg

£998.

So there it was, probably one of the cheapest, most interesting car auctions to be hosted in a few years and I was there but left empty-handed. I can't say that I'm overly bothered though, as price would've dictated purchase for most of them. Had there been a S1 Land Rover being sold, I think things could have turned out differently! To make amends, I decided to fire up the 205 GTI when I got home and take it for a spin, as it hasn't turned a wheel in a couple of months. It was great being back behind the wheel, so the sooner I get a few jobs done on this and the Visa, the sooner I can sell the Mondeo. 

So there it was, probably one of the cheapest, most interesting car auctions to be hosted in a few years and I was there but left empty-handed.

​You clearly have the self-control of a Buddhist monk !

​

​This topic is absolutely brilliant, by the way. I expect that British 'shitters will soon be forming an orderly queue outside the NZ embassy, passport in hand...

​You clearly have the self-control of a Buddhist monk !

​

I think maybe I'm getting a bit more pragmatic as I get a little older; 5 cars really is enough, even with the n+1 equation constantly running through our heads, where n=current number of cars. Plus, I reckon I can live vicariously and get to sample one or two cars down the line from the freshly expanded fleet of the guy I knew at the auction. Some of the pleasure with none of the costs/storage/maintenance! 

I would have not been able to control myself with that Morris 8.

What does "RH" mean in this context?  I gather it's not rectangular hollow.

I was just thinking the same!! And the A40 Devons, the Withnailesque Jag and the early Minis....

Top thread Jon.

Excellent thread. Some top notch spots in there. Highlights for me are the F VIctor and the crusty silled Canadian 1100.  It only needs a Talbot of some kind and it would be my spot thread of the year.  The prices of some of those NZ auction cars are pitifully low. It will cost more to move them than the car itself.

Excellent thread. Some top notch spots in there. Highlights for me are the F VIctor and the crusty silled Canadian 1100.  It only needs a Talbot of some kind and it would be my spot thread of the year.  The prices of some of those NZ auction cars are pitifully low. It will cost more to move them than the car itself.

Jon's way ahead of you.

Talbot in post #1.

As Major Bellend mentioned, see this on page 1:

IMG_08212_zps590c060d.jpg

Can't believe how low in terms of value the auction cars changed hands for, especially considering values seem to generally be worth more out here

Here's hoping that the low prices rub off on the broader used car market, so you can bag a bargain to tour round in! 

That Imp panda car is an orphan. Panda type cars were never used here because police used real men's cars. Too many crims would have died laughing when one of those turned up and upset the statistics.

A couple of NZ police cars I spotted a couple of years ago:

20130324-IMG_9836.jpg

Well, they're not ones in service of course but they were seen out and about at a very busy motoring event/show (which is one of the backlog subjects I've yet to post about) which is heavily policed, so I guess they're a little bit more lax over here showing blue lights and police stickers out and about. The police run modern Commodores now of course but not all emergency services are equal. Our 2009 Iveco appliance has issues (surprise surprise), so we've been rocking a 1992 Dennis for a couple of weeks, which has been excellent and leaves impressive clag trails in its wake. Now we're on to a last of the line 1988 International (with a manual 'box) which is pretty cumbersome and not at all quick.

1988_international_1850d__large.jpg

Here's hoping the town siren doesn't sound too often this week.....

Top, top thread.

Is it hard to get a car that's disappeared off the system re-registered in NZ? I presume that's why some of them (particularly the Minis) were so cheap? Those shells would be four figure sums in the UK.

Thanks for the positive feedback!

It's not super difficult to get a car re-registered in NZ but there's various processes involved, each of which includes fees, so I'd say it's more just a bit of a fuss and probably a few hundred dollars to spend, all essentially because someone let the equivalent of SORN expire. Sometimes cars are purposefully deregistered by uninterested owners, either because they think the car is beyond repair, or they presume it's something they have to do to if they stop using it. Or they're just thick. One bonus that has recently been changed is the ability to use the existing 'plates if they're still with the car (purposeful deregistering requires you to hand the plates in for destruction) and they're in good condition, so the older Junkman-friendly (pre-'87) black plates can be retained. So for the sake of the Minis, it'd be worth it but for some cheap runabout, probably not so. I think grey imports are a bit more difficult to re-register also, for some reason; these now account for a LOT of cars on the roads now, after the import laws were relaxed from 1987.

How much for a container to the UK?

Surely there's profit in filling it with minis and Fiat 500s?

Shipping cars to the UK from NZ won't be cheap, as the journey would be about as far as they could travel before they were coming back on themselves! That said, I think it's quite an established route and plenty of people seem to bring moderns in from the UK, so it must be financially viable for the right cars.

Fiat 500's were built here and Minis may have been too, so they're not too uncommon on the classics scene. However, I really think that this auction was a one-off in terms of prices, especially judging by the mark-ups on prices for some of the lots that have re-appeared on Trademe. Take a look on there to see what prices they usually command and with shipping and other costs, there probably wouldn't be much in it.

That said, my cousin scratched his Fiat 500 itch a couple of years back, as I saw the one below advertised locally for £2500.

IMG_9945.jpg

Excuse the comedy shot featuring my mate's caravan. It was very much roadworthy and quite solid, too. Even came with a heap load of spares, including a late suicide door 500:

IMG_0067.jpg

That was a basket case by NZ standards and the rego was long dead but I reckon it'd probably have a good chance of being restored in the UK, though this is only a personal opinion. It even had more metal than rust in the floors. Anyway, with nowhere to store it and the other myriad piles of spares that were included in the sale, my cousin auctioned the lot off after cherry-picking parts and the whole lot made about £120, which was pennies, really. That was bought by a serial hoarder of old cars, so who knows, there may be another big auction like this one in a few years.

Finally, one I forgot about that was a last minute addition to the auction on the day. Toyota MR2 auto with WOF and registration until next year.

post-20145-0-21221200-1447040820.jpg

Looked scruffy (has been flattened down for a paint job which never materialised) but a roadworthy MR2 was bought by someone for £299.40. And then driven 180 trouble free miles home. Not only that but it is a supercharged model! That's gotta be one of the most instantly gratifying results of the day, really

OK, so as promised, here's a backlogged series of photos from an even I witnessed a couple of years ago, whilst my parents were out visiting. The Beach Hop is an annual event at one of the north island's Kiwi holiday hotspots, Whangamata (pron. wong-a-mat-tar, or make the 'w' sound a 'ph' sound if you want to pronounce with a Maori inflection). It's primarily a 50's event, attracting those people who like to dress up in stuff they imagine to be from the era and also drive cars from the time too - with an American influence of course, as is always the case. If you're attending to witness historical accuracy, you'll be disappointed by the lack of stout practical clothing and pre-war Hillmans. Still pleasant enough though and it doesn't coat anything to tag along.

20130324-IMG_9814.jpg

Like I say, a primarily 50's event but anything old and American or full sized Australian is absolutely fine. I think I started off on a personal high with this gorgeous HQ Belmont on colour coded widened steels. Doesn't get much better than this for me, tbh.

20130324-IMG_9815.jpg

No, honestly, there were 50's cars there, I promise. Included for overall good condition.

20130324-IMG_9816.jpg

No, honestly.....etc. Included as an example of naff stick on Yank tat, which was quite surprisingly absent.

20130324-IMG_9817.jpg

OK, I give up. There's probably a 50's car somewhere but just look at this thing, very much all the better for its original trims. Apologies for red Mustang creeping in the back of shot - surely the MGB of the NZ classic car scene.

20130324-IMG_9820.jpg

Nope, still no 50's. Nice, though.

20130324-IMG_9821.jpg

Not quite to my tastes but just look at all the work that went into this, made from scratch and mounted on a new modern Hilux chassis. Registered as brand new I think, so had to comply to safety standards by having boring modern interior door handles, etc. 

20130324-IMG_9822.jpg

LOW 60. Very nearly 1959.

20130324-IMG_9823.jpg

If you have to ask why this is included, you probably just don't get it. Rather have cool black plates though but akin to dismissing a nice lady for her poor choice of belt or something.

20130324-IMG_9825.jpg

Mk4 Zephyrs are great but ask yourself if you'd prefer one of these instead, made at the same time by Ford. Delightfully not restored.

20130324-IMG_9826.jpg

Not quite so keen on the back, though.

20130324-IMG_9829.jpg

I walked past this spot again and it was still there, so deal with it.

20130324-IMG_9830.jpg

LOL at wheels but everything else was very acceptable on this.

20130324-IMG_9832.jpg

Dressed up Mahindras get the ladies.

20130324-IMG_9833.jpg

Resale red doesn't apply to these, IMO. Must-have Mustard is more my bag.

20130324-IMG_9834.jpg

LOOK, A 50'S CAR!!! Suicide door 500 may also be one, too.

20130324-IMG_9838.jpg

Another shot of the fulth.

20130324-IMG_9841.jpg

Creatively duo-brown CF and what appears to be a Morris Cowley ute. Yes, 50's UK porridge!

20130324-IMG_9844.jpg

20130324-IMG_9842.jpg

Another XY Falcon, captured from its best* angle.

20130324-IMG_9843.jpg

Included only because I've never seen a Z3 on E30 bottle tops. Works quite well, I think.

20130324-IMG_9846.jpg

I've been reliably informed by an esteemed member of this forum that this car is actually a very accurate portrayal of a custom scene which I can't remember the name of now and not at all to be categorised with PT Cruiser line dance editions. I must admit it's a well done job and a dichotomy of outrageous yet reserved. Thought I'd do a bit of South Bank Show type of comment to highbrow the place up a bit.

20130324-IMG_9847.jpg

Old Ford scene.

20130324-IMG_9854.jpg

Seen old Ford.

20130324-IMG_9849.jpg

Scene'd old Ford.

20130324-IMG_9851.jpg

Nice try but turn round, take the first exit of the roundabout and go see that other HQ to see how it's done properly.

20130324-IMG_9852.jpg

Hopefully the owner's off to tell the owner of the black Camaro how to properly attire an old car with wheels.

20130324-IMG_9868.jpg

Down at the beach, with a couple of people added for context.

20130324-IMG_9869.jpg

No idea if this had any racing past or ability to live up to its decals.

20130324-IMG_9872.jpg

Finally, heading home I had to stop and take a couple of photos of this gorgeous Holden van, as it's pretty much Mrs_Jon's idea of a dream camper, now that she's seen one. That, or a Commer PB or Bedford CF but practicalities aside, this'd win on looks alone, I think. 

20130324-IMG_9873.jpg

Just about perfect but at £6k, waaay too much for our budget. Dreams are free, though.

Those Lancers are admittedly getting a little harder to spot day to day, though I know of a couple locally; one is a daily driver for a supermarket worker and the other is under a tarp as a 'project'. Small, Japanese and RWD have made them fair game to the KE30 Corolla/early 323 brigade but all were strong sellers here, so I guess some will remain unscathed.