La cinq-cent dix

Ratdat

Glad you're back with the updates Ed. Do you still have the scary prairie? I keep viewing that on Youtube..

Not sure if you remember when I popped over to see thee a few years back advising I had a CA18ET project - well I can confirm it's now finished !!!! yeah..

Please keep up the updates coming - great inspiration seeing the level of detail you go to and some seriosuly cool motors.

I've not got that one any more, but I do still have a Prairie plus all of the bits to build a new turbo one but no time to do it! To be honest, my current Prairie has 170,000 miles on it and I expect putting a turbo motor in it would finish it of pretty quickly!

Hey Ed, I'd just like to bump this to say I wait in anticipation. I'd love to do this with a few of mine as they've lost that lovely finish.

I'll be having another go when the weather warms up a bit as the only space I have to set the plating up is unheated. I found it's really vital to keep all of the solutions up near 30 degrees C to get a good result which is hard to do with fishtank heaters in a cold room! I am going to send off a load of the plating for the 710 SSS as there's a massive amount to do and I'm on a bit of a deadline to get it finished but I'll carry on doing the 510 SSS stuff myself.

Yesterdays efforts...

Seam sealed and primered the engine bay with some 2k then spent about four immensely dull hours sanding it smooth for final paint..

DSC02504.jpg

Two coats of 2k later it looked pretty decent. The rotisserie really makes painting stuff like this a lot easier but black is a right arse to do as you can't really see what your doing once the first coat is on. Shiney...

DSC02509.jpg

I'm happy with that. There were a few bits I just couldn't get paint onto like under the top corners of the slam panel so while the paint was wet, I manually touched them in with a small brush. Now it's dry you can't see those bits at all so that worked well.

DSC02508.jpg

Here's how the engine bay looked at the start...

DSC02231.jpg

I might post up some retrospective pics of the resto so far when I get a minute. It's taken me so long that even I forget how shabby it was when I started!

Yikes! Makes me wonder what my B110 is like underneath its more recently applied paintwork….

Was it black originally? And what’s happening with the yellow one, or has that sacrificed itself to this project?

Yes, originally 505 Black. The yellow one is at the back of the queue, mainly because I want to use all the best bits to do this one and some of those may come from the yellow one. It will get done eventually but I probably won't be able to make it as good as this one as I'll be using all my NOS parts on this one such as brand new glass, door handles etc. The eventual aim is to have one stock and one lightly modified... same with my two 510's. The SSS will be stock and my old brown one will be modified for daily use, although not as modified as it was (so no roll cage this time!)

Speaking of the 510 SSS. An important update! Albeit a small one. I just scored a set of original 510 SSS hubcaps on a Yahoo Japan auction! Another piece of the puzzle found...

t459432652_2.jpg

I've not got that one any more, but I do still have a Prairie plus all of the bits to build a new turbo one but no time to do it! To be honest, my current Prairie has 170,000 miles on it and I expect putting a turbo motor in it would finish it of pretty quickly!

Talking of Prairies, spotted this duo in an episode of Minder - Prairie and Rancho - what a combo!post-17378-0-64510500-1457166596_thumb.jpeg

• 4 years later...

Whatever happened to this? Does Ratdat still post online anymore? He had some great motors and excellent content, and was one of the few posters I remember from the 'original' autoshite days that inspired me to join up in the first place. I'd love to know what happened with this project!

11 minutes ago, barrett said:

Whatever happened to this? Does Ratdat still post online anymore? He had some great motors and excellent content, and was one of the few posters I remember from the 'original' autoshite days that inspired me to join up in the first place. I'd love to know what happened with this project!

Last visited Feb 2019

Funnily enough @barrett, I had the same thought the other day, so checked out the old Instagram and he has an account there, though I'm not too sure if it's super up to date. Just search ratdat and up it comes.

I got the 'tip-off' from a recent post reallyloud (another excellent yet sadly ex-member) posted on there, with an image of a large Datsun, which had heaps of interesting French and Japanese background action. Could've only been from one place!