Behold! My God, my Chod, look at that shyte ( Renault and BMW content)

320touring

Now I've been around these parts for some time I thought I better let you see some of the scrap I call the fleet..

I'll start with the best and work backwards.

The Burd's Motor..(Babette is the name she goes by)

A 2001 Clio 172 Exclusive, bought sight unseen off ebay for peanuts- because I offered to buy her "a sensible, reliable, new car" to get her safely to/from work.

Its been excellent over the last 10k miles, needing just consumables and a rear caliper to get by, I'm a convert. Goes like stink, handles well and is safe for transporting the lady.

IMAG0928small_zps1a681ac0.jpg

IMAG0929small_zps0443e709.jpg

IMAG0941small_zps127b47c9.jpg

IMAG0932small_zps3c93530f.jpg

The Kiev Express

An e30 320i touring that has been my constant companion since I bought it on valentines day in 2005. I've slept in it, hammered across continents in it and had it at mildly inappropriate speeds on the Queen's highway.

The burd is under no illusions- If it comes down to a choice between the House or the Kiev Express, the Express wins.

Nurburgring and Knockhill have quivered at the might of its M20b20.

She's lowered slightly, and wears a 3.73 LSD and bilstien B8's- a great drive and needs momentum kept up with her weedy 129bhp.

Also does 400+ miles to a tank if tootling.

Here it is bringing some class to the Applecross Inn

253544_10150196785091677_696176676_76644

The 5

A 265k miles e34 535i Sport with LSD as standard. Bout for £300 at auction, then tracked like a bitch, happy to slurp £107 quid of unleaded in 200 miles, and go sideways at the drop of a hat. superb, and dog rough.

Did 201bhp and 211ft/lb of torque from 2500rpm when we rolling roaded it. A hooligan of a car- can't really drive it without hooning.

12-165C7686-927410-960.jpg

The 320d

Another Euro trek car- we schlepped this to Riga (via Stockholm) from Glasgow for a mate's stag do, so I had to rescue it for posterity. cost peanuts, and needs brakes and dampers plus tyres if its ever to see the road again.

I'm trying to figure out what to do with it

IMAG1188_zpsa0096305.jpg

If you doubt my shyte credentials, My first car was one of these

seattoledo.jpg

and I learned to drive (aged 3 on a private road) in one of these

AustinMaxi.jpg

it used to die when warm cos the exhaust manifold was leaking and causing fuel evap in the carb..

Nice collection. Those 535i's are great I had a red 535i that was Mintola right up until the point I crashed it not a ditch.

Have you never been tempted to put a 325 motor in the touring?

yeah- they're just a sledghammer of a car- the m30b35 is superb in any car- e34/32/30/28 etc. the e34 has amazing build and superb styling.

NOOOOOO to a 2.5 in my car- I love the b20! most everyone I know has a 2.5 I like being different- plus it sounds superb.

I'd do another e30 with an m52 2.8 or the afore mentioned m30 3.5..

Bloody hell are 10 year old 3 series worth so little now? Seems not so long enough people still wanted more than a grand for e36 318's...

Of course yours might have 475k on it or something!

depends on your frame of reference.. mine was more than a days wages.. she's not too bad miles wise.

To be honest, the 346  are cheaper than the e36 versions now..

Welcome along. I love white 3 Series tourings like yours. My dad had a 318 back when it was new in white with bottletop alloys. It's still on SORN and has been for many years. I winder where H913NSF is now?

Cheers- the Tourings are usually the cheapest to buy, so a good way into the e30. Bottletops are ok, look better on mid 80's hondas. 15" BBS are where its at.

Re the 318i, sorry, don't recognise the reg:(

535i e34 much likeage great cars. I had an auto in red which went to torsten

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

they are ACE. if I had the pennies an e434 m5 would be parked outside

Selling my E30 Baur. Now upgraded to leather sports interior, new dash, heater valve 325 engine and manual gearbox if you know of anyone looking for one. Car is currently at Bavarian Retro with Boyd in Hamilton

Selling my E30 Baur. Now upgraded to leather sports interior, new dash, heater valve 325 engine and manual gearbox if you know of anyone looking for one. Car is currently at Bavarian Retro with Boyd in Hamilton

Aye I saw that in your thread, and Know Boyd too.

I'll bear it in mid if anyone asks me:) although it takes a certain type of gent to own a Baur;-)

Welcome aboard! Nice choice of motors there. Had an e28 535 and an e34 M5. That 535 looks similar to my old M5, it was Sebring grey.  And a fucking weapon. Just ask D&G constabulary. CoughASBOcough....

Welcome aboard! Nice choice of motors there. Had an e28 535 and an e34 M5. That 535 looks similar to my old M5, it was Sebring grey.  And a fucking weapon. Just ask D&G constabulary. CoughASBOcough....

e34 m5 would be a WINNAH for me, the e28 is lovely too.

Funnily enough, a fair few folks I know with straight 6 e30/32/34s have ASBOs..

I've yet to join such an exclusive club..

Nice selection but hold on! You're complaining about 129bhp being weedy? I've just totalled my three-car fleet up and between them, they can only muster 154bhp.

My touring weighs in about 1280kg, so in that respect, aye it is weedy.

Re my fleet:

e30 320i 129bhp

E34 535i 201bhp

e46 320d 150bhp

Clio 172 172bhp

Mk1 Golf Gti convertible 117bhp

and lying on the floor i have

1x m40b16 @ 102bhp

1x m40b18 @ 115bhp

1x M30b35 @ 211bhp

1x m20b25 @ 171bhp

2x m20b20 @ 129bhp each

1x m10b16 @ 90bhp

I think:)

nice maxi.

Alas, the Da's one was not such a shade, but it had burnt Orange interior FTW

Bloody hell are 10 year old 3 series worth so little now? Seems not so long enough people still wanted more than a grand for e36 318's...

Of course yours might have 475k on it or something!

I don't know if the E46 dizzler saloons are worth quite so little now but bear in mind this one needs wedge spending on it for an MOT from how the OP summed it up.

Generally good cars but big bills can soon build up on these if neglected for a year or two, These are the ones that will be worth peanuts, but some GR9 VFM cars out there certainly if your after a well screwed together family saloon.

That Clio is lovely. It's an unusual colour. Most of the ones I see are silver.

You can't go wrong with an e30 Touring. Fantastic cars and a 6 cylinder is the only way to go with them. Here's my 320.

2014-02-18 17.30.47.jpg

Thanks, its an Exclusive-a run-out model before the facelift. They sold 172 over here, this is number 54. It's painted scarab green (an espace colour!) And has grey leather interior instead of dark half leather.

Your 320 looks a lot tidier than mine-niiiice

The tourer is one of the last nice looking cars BMW made imho.

The e30/32/34 era was the pinnacle of modernish BMWs-when they were built to a spec, not a price.

The e36/38/39 era was the start of the shift to the 'it only needs to last the 3 yrs of the lease' mentality that most car makers now have

My love of the touring is not helped by me being an estate man at heart!

The e36/38/39 era was the start of the shift to the 'it only needs to last the 3 yrs of the lease' mentality that most car makers now have

WOW I disagree with that. The E36 and E39 i had were bleedin great cars, loads of miles with little/no fuss. I sold my E39 to a BMW technitian who told me when buying it 'these are better than the new ones' and 'not much that goes wrong on them' etc etc also the same is said by my Indy garage.

The new E90 however I wouldnt bother with. From what I am led to beleive the sloppy engineering kicked in around 2006, not 1996.

WOW I disagree with that. The E36 and E39 i had were bleedin great cars, loads of miles with little/no fuss. I sold my E39 to a BMW technitian who told me when buying it 'these are better than the new ones' and 'not much that goes wrong on them' etc etc also the same is said by my Indy garage.

The new E90 however I wouldnt bother with. From what I am led to beleive the sloppy engineering kicked in around 2006, not 1996.

You're welcome to:) on the e36 caliper bolts all round are 1mm smaller than on the e30, balljoints at the front are crap design, with e30 arms considered an upgrade.

The e39 has too much electrickery for its own good, and loves to eat auto boxes and coolant systems.

I've had several e36, and know a fair few folk with e39s etc.

The e46 is just like an e36 in a fancy frock, except it has fewer bolts holding the front struts on:)

My dad's e60 isn't a patch on an e34 (by his admission) and runflat tyres can do one:)

Thems just my observations-not gospel:)

I can understand the newish E60 not being a patch on the 80s E34, and the E30 being screwed together better than the E90 etc etc..

E39's dont eat coolant systems, they came with plastic impellers in the water pumps and were recalled and replaced with metel ones, of course some cars did not have the replacements and they needed doing later in life, but thats not what I would call eating a coolant system, Thermostat housing seals can break up but there about £20 and the dash would warn you as soon as the coolant goes low.  Never heard anything about problems with auto boxes so I dont know about that.

Going by the above post I think I must of just been very very lucky with my E36/E39/E46 cars 8)

But to summarise, yes your E30 will be a more reliable car over 20 years/200k miles than a now new one, without doubt.