Wheeler Dealers .....

blguy1975

Classics getting into mainstream TV and the general public eye is no bad thing imho.

Apart from every time a model is featured on one of the UK programs, 'values' on eBay go through the roof, everyone that's got one thinks they're worth a fortune, the upshot being that idiots like me can no longer buy them for £400.

Which frankly is a DISGRACE.

Totally agree about Mario and Bernie.

If I remember correctly Car SOS did a local car and they had it for about a year, after all if its an old rare car you don't always find the parts you need at the local Halfords.

To me Ed and Fuzz come across well but Tim is too 'full on'.

Not a big fan of Car SOS, can’t deal with all this ‘will they won’t they’ crap or some story about Barry not being able to restore his whatever after he fell headfirst into a bacon grinder. Nothing against Mike Brewer, I’m sure he’s a nice enough chap, but to all intents and purposes he’s a television personality, it’s presumably dictated by the directors that he comes out with all this hold out your hand bollocks.

Ed seems like a good mechanic, the scenes are heavily edited, I mean who wants an absolute real life scenario where Ed wanders round the other units for half an hour looking for the track rod end remover he lent out, then an hour of him trying to get a chewed up bolt out then an hour pissing about watching a woman shit in a cup with one of the blokes from the shop fitters across the road. Wouldn’t make for very interesting viewing.

I disliked that program, the name escapes me, that was on last year with those two scruffy bastards that didn’t really know what they were doing. They bought an Alfa blissfully unaware it was as rotten as last months fruit, then weighed the fucker in with all the good stuff on it.

To be honest if I want to watch something technical I like watching Paul Sellers Joinery Masterclass. He is genuinely fantastic at what he does and makes some great stuff. A genuine craftsman. It’s infinitely more interesting than anything you’d ever watch about cars.

Gave up on WD long ago and I tend to agree that SOS is better despite the obviously false tension and hammy acting.

Another Youtube channel I've recently been watching lately sat on the throne is Hoovies Garage. I think he's a journo for American Autotrader and former car dealer but now clearly raking in the money from Youtube. There's a Shitter spirit about him and the general concept is very WD-esque. He buys the cheapest of whatever in the entire USA then gradually fixes them up, (pretty much money no object), with the help of a tame mechanic. Initially vehicles tended to be pretty forgettable Yank stuff but there's Merc's, Jap, BMW, a DeLorean, Lotus etc too. As his income has grown he's been into the more exotic marques like Aston, Rolls, Ferrari, Bentley (interesting history!) and recently a McLaren; still always the cheapest available and with known serious issues which tend to be borked gearboxes. Also for a septic his humour is quite self-deprecating which makes him surprisingly watchable.

I love the fact he bought the McLaren with a years warranty and considers it win.........

I disliked that program, the name escapes me, that was on last year with those two scruffy bastards that didn’t really know what they were doing. They bought an Alfa blissfully unaware it was as rotten as last months fruit, then weighed the fucker in with all the good stuff on it.

Flipping Bangers?

https://www.facebook.com/2359925127351297/photos/2359927177351092/

Mainstream TV? I bet if you put Mike Brewer or Edd China on The One Show a good 80% of the viewers wouldn't have a clue who they are and would never have heard of Wheeler Dealers. However, the Turkish shopkeeper that sold my wife a nice 'best qualitee' leather jacket in the Grand Bazaar in Marmaris loves WD and records them all!

Quite surprised at the lack of Holy thread resurrection comment.

WD I liked until they started chasing money. Very workshop based to start, and I picked up a few tips. I think it was the Capri they rattle canned the front end and it looked shite.

I've only seen a handful of the USA based episodes and the workshop scenes are a little too cut down for my liking. I much preferred it when it was honest little motors that you could get for peanuts and do up for peanuts, and sell for a little* bit of profit* if so inclined. The RX-7 episode is probably my most hated one - what a pile of shite for DRIFTYO!

CarSOSage I've not watched as much; rarely seems to be on all4 and as I don't have its native channel on my TV, I can't watch newer episodes. I dislike that Tim though, he strikes me down as being a total knob. I've read about some of his previous exploits, and these just back up my interpretations of him.

I liked ed China in WD I like ant antstead in WD it's a shame they can't sod that Mike brewer off though, I thought to myself, he may just come across as a twat on the show, the decider for me was when I saw him and ant at the NEC and went over to say hello and get a picture, the arrogant twat never looked up from his phone while ant was very enthusiastic to talk, fair enough he may have had a bad day or something

New WD uncut, avalible on VHS NOW!

Includes

*15 hours of mike reading "swap for xbox m8" bonus footage

*13.5 hours of Facebook "is this available" Messages going unanswered

* 5 hours of ed raging and calling a stubborn part a "fucking cunt" before dropping the spanner then throwing a shit fit.

* over 35 extra "for fuck sake, deep breaths sighs" when parts from euro's turned out to be wrong.

Avalible to rent now in your local blockbuster,

Anyone seen Drew Pritchard’s Salvage Hunters classic cars show on Quest? He’s an annoying twat but I like the other guy and they seem to do things properly.

I used to think that Drew Pritchard was an industrial strength cunt but when I discovered we have a shared love of classic Italian scooters I upgraded him to an annoying twat.

Another Youtube channel I've recently been watching lately sat on the throne is Hoovies Garage. I think he's a journo for American Autotrader and former car dealer but now clearly raking in the money from Youtube. There's a Shitter spirit about him and the general concept is very WD-esque. He buys the cheapest of whatever in the entire USA then gradually fixes them up, (pretty much money no object), with the help of a tame mechanic. Initially vehicles tended to be pretty forgettable Yank stuff but there's Merc's, Jap, BMW, a DeLorean, Lotus etc too. As his income has grown he's been into the more exotic marques like Aston, Rolls, Ferrari, Bentley (interesting history!) and recently a McLaren; still always the cheapest available and with known serious issues which tend to be borked gearboxes. Also for a septic his humour is quite self-deprecating which makes him surprisingly watchable.

I've recently discovered Hoovies as well, only because it was mentioned on another thread on here somewhere, and I've been really enjoying it. Good mix of interesting cars broken in various interesting ways.

Maybe YouTube is the future after all.

... I watched this; the ginger fella used to be in Scrapheap Challenge on the road, driving a VW LT; yeah they weighed it in after throwing in the towel; in between the got a call from someone offering £300 for the car for spares - a loss on whatever they'd outlayed on the car; instead they crushed the lot for an even bigger loss; shameful stuff...

Yer man Tim from Car Sauce must have some seriously incriminating blackmail stuff on some telly exec's as he gets a right few extra TV gigs outside Car Sauce - often appearing on 'ladybird book approach engineerings Doc's with 'inventor' below his name on screen...

I always thought one day Id see WD 'assistant' Paul on the front page of a Redtop Rag one day; after going 'Nuclear' at a shopping centre or whatever; always looked like he was having trouble 'keeping it all in'...

'paul we've broken down outside of Turin in a Fiat 500. Can you put the trailer on the transit and come and get us? Im in a hotel. Yes I know it's 52 hours each way, I'm eating a cake waiting for you now. No you can't have a room. We need to get on the road.'

Etc

WD is far to Americanized now, prices are always in $(dollars) & what boils my piss the most is, when Mike calls opening the bonnet, Opening the "hood", or the boot, he calls it a "trunk" bumpers are "fenders"...I can see why Ed got pissed off with the way WD was going, if I was Ed, I would have wrapped a 36mm spanner (or "Wrench") over Mike's head in the end.

As for Car SOS, I am of the same opinion as most on here, Fuzz is good, Tim is an annoying twat.

Flipping Bangers, I actually though it was alright, at least you got to see most things being done, my favourite was the old 190 Mercedes they did, although, I would have kept the ride height the same as when they got it & not jacked it up with the wrong struts & springs, which made it look like a 4x4....

The solution?....fit bigger profile tyres to it!!!...bravo lads..bravo.

what boils my piss the most is, when Mike calls opening the bonnet, Opening the "hood", or the boot, he calls it a "trunk".

Yeah!  What raises the temperature of my urine is that on the French version of Wheeler Dealers they call the bonnet "le capot" and the cheeky fuckers call the boot "le coffre"  fukin twats!

I've recently discovered Hoovies as well, only because it was mentioned on another thread on here somewhere, and I've been really enjoying it. Good mix of interesting cars broken in various interesting ways.

Maybe YouTube is the future after all.

I like to think of myself as a much lower budget far more shit British version of Hoovie’s Garage, even thought about making some videos about my low cost big liability heaps

I’m actively looking to buy a classic car parts business in the midlands on the off chance that car sausage need bits only I can supply.

I’ll then make Tim do some demeaning shit for three or four hours before telling him the part is on back order for 6 months and to sling his hook.

Even if I’ve got a warehouse full of them.

I always thought one day Id see WD 'assistant' Paul on the front page of a Redtop Rag one day; after going 'Nuclear' at a shopping centre or whatever; always looked like he was having trouble 'keeping it all in'...

Paul is actually now the behind the scenes man for Flipping Bangers! He owns the workshop, tools etc. and is the real "brains" behind the operation.

Anyone see Salvage Hunters - Classic Cars last night? Drew Pritchard harps on about originality then promptly strips an MGC to bare metal, resprays it green, has a bespoke interior made for it then calls it an Aston Martin. And they drove that BMW on the road that's apparently been stood for years, so probably no MoT or tax and quite uninsurable.