Wheeler Dealers .....

blguy1975

No one has to buy it or read it if they don't want to. If anyone wants to read The Great Gatsby instead then crack on.

Mike and Edd did many series of TV progs which we've all watched. They're both obviously car enthusiasts.

Why the shit vibe slagging them off? I'd rather have seen the progs than not have seen them.

My friend Ragnar’s early ripple 2cv is appearing on car sos shortly. Presumably as an example of what they should aim to end up with.

I’ve just watched a car sos this evening on a minor traveller, sans wood. Great apart from Tim. Get rid if him and it would be a lot more watchable.

^^ Agree with that, Shaw may be genuinely enthusiastic (I personally believe he is) but he acts like a twat on camera, now that can occasionally (stress - occasionally) be quite funny but he does it way too much and it's simply annoying and detracts from an otherwise excellent programme. I sometimes get the impression from the expression on his face that Fuzz gets a little tired of his shit too. 

I hate the car SOS fake tension.

Will they get it to start? (Yes, but they never reveal why or how).

Will they get done on time? (Of course they will or else there isn't an end to the show).

Are they are going to have to work all night while Tim ponces off to pretend to be a traffic warden or whatever? (Yes. Every single show).

All this bullshit detracts from the massive amount of work they put in.

None of your Wheeler Dealers rattle cans.

When I used to watch WD I would always fast forward through any of the bits with Mike in it on account of him coming across as a total spunk trumpet.

I was always more interested in Edd putting in the graft and showing how the work was done.

Probably why I now immensely enjoy watching this channel on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/mustie1

Yes, I'm a fan of 'Mustie1' too, (think his name is Darren?), his vids are certainly long but very rarely boring if you are actually into fixing stuff and I like the way he solves problems by using his brain and talents rather than throwing money & parts at a problem.

The gear he picks up at yard/garage sales is sometimes amazing - shows how rich the USA is given what people almost give away or throw away. 

He's just done a renovation on an old VW KG on the cheap, haven't watched it all yet but my nightshift has another 8hrs to go!!!!

Template at Car SOS pitch.

Act 1) Sob story. Sad music but quiet.

Act 2) Comedy (?)  part sourcing skit with Tim.

Act 3) I THINK THIS TIME WE REALLY HAVE BITTEN OFF MORE THAN WE CAN CHEW TIM. I DONT KNOW IF WE'LL GET THIS DONE.

Act 4) Reveal, sad music, everyone stands up, applauds and cries.

Repeat, forever.

You can usually see loads of the other cars from the series in the back ground at various stages of repair so the air of tension and urgency is somewhat lost coz it looks like they've got months and months to complete the jobs.

Its cool that people enjoy it, but I'd rather be watching Deboss Garage or Finnegans Garage to be honest.  More graft, learning and cars than emotional manipulation and faux comedy.

I am another one who has a soft spot for Edd - the sort of bloke you would like as a friend. He seemed decent and I always enjoyed WD.

I noted with interest that WD was the most watched motoring programme Worldwide after Top Gear. WD was reported to have a global audiance of 138 million.

I found this an interesting interview with Brewer post split with China:

https://www.motoringbox.com/cars/entertainment/wheeler-dealers/wheeler-dealers-mike-brewers-side-of-the-story/

Template at Car SOS pitch.

Act 1) Sob story. Sad music but quiet.

Act 2) Comedy (?)  part sourcing skit with Tim.

Act 3) I THINK THIS TIME WE REALLY HAVE BITTEN OFF MORE THAN WE CAN CHEW TIM. I DONT KNOW IF WE'LL GET THIS DONE.

Act 4) Reveal, sad music, everyone stands up, applauds and cries.

Repeat, forever.

You can usually see loads of the other cars from the series in the back ground at various stages of repair so the air of tension and urgency is somewhat lost coz it looks like they've got months and months to complete the jobs.

Its cool that people enjoy it, but I'd rather be watching Deboss Garage or Finnegans Garage to be honest.  More graft, learning and cars than emotional manipulation and faux comedy.

I used to have a Triumph Renown hotrod......During one of the the previous series, the thing is in the backround, never changing appearance, for the entire run of episodes.......post-2866-0-08775500-1548842763_thumb.jpg

Late to the party on both WD and Car SOSage, but have waded through virtually every episode of the former, and just started on the latter.

WD went shit when they moved to USA - I suppose there's only so many Brit 'modern classics' they could restore but it was clear Brewer was chasing the money, and why the fuck not - he's a car trader first and foremost. (https://www.mikebrewermotors.com/) I actually really like him - it's clear he's genuinely mad about cars and gets excited by old classics even now. I suppose he's an acquired taste.

Edd I also really like although it does make me laugh when he says 'yes, you can easily do this at home' and then wheels out about 10 grands worth of kit to do wheel tracking. 

The chemistry between them was good, and yes there was a bit of acting up to the camera. Ant I also really like - in fact, he seems to be a little better at engaging with the audience and clearly explaining things. 

Car SOS I've only just got into - there's nowhere near the depth of information for the budding home mechanic as WD, but I've learned a few tricks from Fuzz already. Again I'm not a Tim Shaw hater, i really like him and he does genuinely make me laugh. Yes, of course there'll be hamming up to the camera, but sometimes there are genuine LOL moments.

ANyway, the true heroes of both programmes are the peripheral characters - Workshop Phil in SOS and Paul in Wheeler Dealers

Gave up on WD long ago and I tend to agree that SOS is better despite the obviously false tension and hammy acting.    

Another Youtube channel I've recently been watching lately sat on the throne is Hoovies Garage. I think he's a journo for American Autotrader and former car dealer but now clearly raking in the money from Youtube. There's a Shitter spirit about him and the general concept is very WD-esque. He buys the cheapest of whatever in the entire USA then gradually fixes them up, (pretty much money no object), with the help of a tame mechanic. Initially vehicles tended to be pretty forgettable Yank stuff but there's Merc's, Jap, BMW, a DeLorean, Lotus etc too. As his income has grown he's been into the more exotic marques like Aston, Rolls, Ferrari, Bentley (interesting history!) and recently a McLaren; still always the cheapest available and with known serious issues which tend to be borked gearboxes.  Also for a septic his humour is quite self-deprecating which makes him surprisingly watchable.

I don't think I get* Wheeler dealers anymore. I mean I'm not a Brewer hater and I liked Edd but this whole move to America made it into yet another programme where money is no object and things just appear or get done with no explanation.

Like that Capri they had on the other week. Fannyed about making bumpers for it saying it's too expensive to get European ones but the week after, bugger me European bumpers, grill etc for that Rabbit/Golf.

Got to be honest, I like them all! WD, car sausage, chasing classic cars, and I even like Gas Monkey and Fired up Garage.

It’s about old cars which I love and I don’t mind the ‘entertainment’ value stuff that gets thrown in to, well, entertain! I don’t mind Brewer, Tim, Ant, Ed, Fuzz, Richard Rawlings or any of them. They all clearly share my interest otherwise they wouldn’t do what they do and that’s enough. If they can make money doing it then fair play to them. I would if I could!

Sometimes you need to take it with a pinch of salt but who cares. Classics getting into mainstream TV and the general public eye is no bad thing imho.