Tagora SX - Restoration

TagoraSX

• 7 months later...

Great to see the car coming on with old parts being repaired and new ones adapted.

Those wheel spacers look GR9. Should correct the poor stance of the car at the back and make the whole thing look so much better.

The original alloys were 3D scanned and diamond cut.

Excuse my ignorance but what does the above mean - curious how the 3D scanning fits in.

...wheel spacers look GR9. Should correct the poor stance of the car at the back and make the whole thing look so much better.

Was the Tagora meant to have a narrower track at the rear? I know the big Citroens all had this, but I didn't know other manufacturers adopted the same thing.

Was the Tagora meant to have a narrower track at the rear? I know the big Citroens all had this, but I didn't know other manufacturers adopted the same thing.

The use of off-the-shelf parts meant that it ended up with a very narrow track. 504 axle was it? The original intent was for a much more elaborate multi-link affair IIRC.  Cost killed that off before it even got off the drawing board.

The Tagora ended up with the rather narrow rear axle of the 505 because Peugeot insisted on using Peugeot parts to save costs.

You can see the difference in these crash test pictures.

This is the original Simca design.

post-5425-0-99769100-1515433761_thumb.jpg

After the change to PSA parts:

post-5425-0-62510200-1515433813_thumb.jpg

No the Tagora / Chryslers C9 wasn't supposed to have that narrower rear track at all.post-20412-0-52187400-1515433617_thumb.jpg

As can be seen from this fibreglass mock up prototype it was designed to have an equal track footprint all round. It was to my knowledge originally to be based on an updated Chrysler 180 platform. Following the Psa takeover of Chrysler Europe in 1978 the project for far enough forward for Psa to commit to it but with some major cost savings.. and that was to utilise the complete Peugeot 504/5 front and rear suspension assemblies lock stock and barrel to the already finalised shell, which when grafted on to the Tagora, gave it that narrow rear track look. Adding the rear spacers will make it look much more like Roy Axe and his Coventry design crew intended it to be.

• 1 year later...