Rare sierras

Bren

My first was fairly rare, having less than the usual number of fire exits. £150

35678682965_563d873aa3_b.jpgSierra2 by RS, on Flickr

My second was only odd in as much as it was a CVH despite everyone telling me an E-plate should have a Pinto (registered 9 days before the F plate came out). I paid £50 for this one

35548423491_37c57acf4c_b.jpgPhoto22_1 by RS, on Flickr

I had this as an interior donor for the 1.8L;

35509806272_b8c900ed4a_b.jpgSierraGLX by RS, on Flickr

This was father's 2.0i GLS in the same colour and also on an E like my 1.8L. I liked parking them together.

35548608801_ae8e3805a7_b.jpgLikefather by RS, on Flickr

I have owned no Sierras. Neither did my dad. He couldn't stand the 'petrol smell' of Fords after getting shot of the R reg Granada 2000 L

My dad's friend had a couple: (from memory) a beige mark1 maybe a GL and then a mark 2 that I think was a silver 2.0i GLS. He now has a Nissan Squashi.

Rare Sierra specs? I guess that the mark 1 1.6 Ghia was a rare bird. How about the 2.0i GT from theearly 1990s?

The Sierra is one of very few cars that I think looks good in all of its formats - saloon, hatch, estate, any number of doors, pre or post facelift.  With one exception - they've got to have twin headlamps.

When I was a kid we had beige hatchback with single headlamps and a grille.  No idea what spec it was but I can remember the reg number - any Ford lickers here with access to a database that can tell us more about A363 MBM?

I didn't ever chat with Hendry on here but again well aware it should be him responding to this... 

The Sierra is one of very few cars that I think looks good in all of its formats - saloon, hatch, estate, any number of doors, pre or post facelift.  With one exception - they've got to have twin headlamps.

When I was a kid we had beige hatchback with single headlamps and a grille.  No idea what spec it was but I can remember the reg number - any Ford lickers here with access to a database that can tell us more about A363 MBM?

I didn't ever chat with Hendry on here but again well aware it should be him responding to this... 

It was a GL.  You had Base, L, GL and Ghia in 83 in the simplified pyramid - with some more extravagant specials to come.

Saw this G-reg Ghia estate at ASDA in Shoebury this morning. Remarkably good condition for its age:

attachicon.gifIMG_20180304_102404.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20180304_102410.jpg

I wonder what the exact model is? Let's take a look:

attachicon.gifIMG_20180304_102421.jpg

It's only a 2.9i 4x4! REJOICE!  :mrgreen:

Bonus shite points for the CRT telly ^^

He's got a green F reg Ghia hatch too. I waved at him when driving the Sierra BASE, and got blanked :(

Driven loads but only owned one. An estate in the horrible light blue F reg, didn't have it for long.

Infamously I had a job interview and rang them saying I'd be late as it had done something, I can't remember what. Got there parked up and was told in the interview there'd be some driving duties 'sorry I don't license'.

No, I didn't get the job :-)

I was hoping I could find the photo of nine-year-old me standing next to my Dad's '83 2.0 Ghia (A794MEW) in a Safeways car park, but alas.

Glacier blue metallic. I felt like the flashiest nine year-old git around, cruising around in this luxurious car with wood trim on the doors, front windows that went up and down electrically, and a sunroof (which somehow put me in mind of the Thundertank from Thundercats). And the 'Graphic Information Module' that I found entirely spellbinding. It also had the means to play cassettes, so we could listen to Queen and Transvision Vamp on holiday.

For some reason, it wore a set of Sierra Laser wheel trims in place of the proper Aero items,and by the time I realised he had got shot of it in favour of a Mondeo Ghia X 24v. Had I twigged this this almighty oversight earlier, I would have initiated pre-pubescent pester power until it was rectified.

Those big Cibie headlights with the integrated driving lights could throw out one hell of a beam, too.

Who had that grey ex Trigger CVH that was nothing but a ball ache?  J-plate??  What happened to that one???

I know nothing about Sierras at all, and would never lower myself to have such a shit vehicle on my drivew....

oh.

Garbaldy, me then JayW.

Now on gumtree...

https://www.gumtree.com/p/ford/ford-sierra/1288657004

I think the GLS 4x4 was launched primarily for plod, WYP standardised on em, and even got Ford to do em some Sapphire GLSi 4x4s. One I wouldn't kick out of bed is a South African XR8, a real muscle car, and if it was automatic, it would be JM's perfect Sierra, being pre 86, V8, & lord gears LOL

Uncle had a K reg blue hatchback, think it was a 1.8 Azure special edition which itself was a run out model, really strange spec but I drove it a couple of times - steering was the heaviest I'd ever encountered, can't have been PAS unless it was broken! Looked nice though.

I'm just sad that I will probably never be able to afford another Sierra ever again, rare or not. :-(

It's been the way of many old fords unfortunately, remember when you could pick a decent 2wd saph cosworth up for 1k? A 3 door cosworth for 3k? When I was 18 I bought a tidy 12 month m.o.t e plate 2.8 xr4x4 for £150 my insurance wasnt amused though, Just look now and it will be knocking on down the line to "lesser" models over the next few years