Classic Car tax exemption is back !

CortinaDave

Wonderful news we’ve been waiting and campaigning for 17 years for this to happen, a shame it wasn’t reintroduced at 25 years or even 30 but it is a step in the right direction.  Many people said it would never happen but I think a lot of it is due to the amount of petitions that have been added to the government website also various owners clubs and the classic car movement keeping on about it.  If we had just shut up and excepted it they wouldn’t have reinstated it.

I think the problem with making it 25 years now is a 25 year old car now is a very different animal to what it was in the 90's

Mk3 Cavaliers, Sierras,Calibras,Primeras would all be nudging into tax exemption and I for one would take full advantage of that and run them daily, as would too many others for the governments liking

I reckon it'll be next year for you Trigger. AFAIK this year its moved to all cars manufactured by 1st jan 1974, so  will be next year before yours comes into force

Bollocks. Your right as well. pissing arseflaps. I could have done with it this year too.

The new cut-off date for classic vehicles will take effect from 1 April 2014, and covers all cars manufactured before 1 January 1974

What do we think of this then (which everyone seems to be missing).

it was confirmed that VED - your tax discs - can now be bought and paid for monthly, and you will need to cash in your tax when you sell your car, leaving the next owner liable to buy a new tax disc. This logical move has been introduced to reduce tax administration costs.