Telecom vanz

mk2_craig

JEEZY CHREEZY!I've just BLATTERED MY DUDS looking at those pictures. Mega. Loving the first Bedford there (pic1), "P" reg is a bit late for one of those isn't it?

Me to :lol: That "P" reg is a Bedford TJ, which was built from 1959 right upto the mid 1990's, laterly badged as an AWD, and were very popular in developing Countries having a forward control layout as favoured in such markets, and of course Bedford simplicity :wink:

I meant this one:

Posted Image

Which is a Bedford J-series, innit? Or certainly similar to. It's what me dad would refer to as a Gypsy Wagon.

Did you mean that one?

Or the "TK" type below?

Thats the one! a prime example of a "TJ" I am unfortunately of a vintage where I can clearly remember seeing vehicles identical to that on the road :lol:

Posted Image

Haha, is that Barry Sheene doing work experience?

Whatever happened to those stripey red tents, anyway? QUALITY.

Southern Electric had some CF2 Electrics at their Maidenhead HQ a few years back - probably still there. I will have to check...

Speaking of Maestro vans, I saw a C-reg one on the road earlier which must be one of the earliest left I would have thought.

Posted Image

Haha, is that Barry Sheene doing work experience?

Whatever happened to those stripey red tents, anyway? QUALITY.

Doing work experience? Barry's busy nicking power tools. Why do you think you spend half your driving time reading that stupid sign on the back of vans? Makes me want to break in & pinch the bastards just to prove that they were lying about them not being kept there overnight.

Yes. Stripey red tents and nightwatchmen with flaming braziers.

Anyway, you forgot the most important person at British Telecom:

Posted Image

I think our cat got him around 1978, though scarily still hear his voice (now old and quavery) on ads for things like Stenna stairlifts and colostomy bags.

Crikey!! I still have a Buzby bag, badge and set of coasters from the 1978 BT Xmas works do at the Fletton depot in Peterborough. The ol' man's golfing buddy used to work there and I'd get dragged along with the folks to watch them jive to Abba and slow-dance to Coward of the County.Thanks for those memories (or not actually)

I saw one of them stripey tents last week, two BT vans parked up and some underground shenanigans taking place. Been years since I'd seen one, thought I'd accidentally driven back to 1987.When was it that BT started registering all their motors in Birmingham? Usually feature a 'O' in the middle of the letter group on the registration, which a lot of Brummy plates did pre-2001. That Transit Luton van is one, as is the Befrod with Barry Sheen, and it's a good bet that any crummy old Transit in dirty grey with such a registration is ex-BT.

• 2 weeks later...

Bedford lasted into the '90s...The enquiry is complete The vehicle details for MFT 891P are: Date of Liability 30 03 1990 Date of First Registration 14 07 1976 Year of Manufacture 1976 Cylinder Capacity (cc) Not Available CO2 Emissions Not Available Fuel Type Petrol Export Marker Not Applicable Vehicle Status Unlicensed Vehicle Colour YELLOW Vehicle Type Approval null The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry. Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle 6 Months Rate £90.75 12 Months Rate £165.00

• 3 years later...

My abiding memory of BT vans is the little friendly HA, later replaced by the Marina/Ital, then the Maestro. Think the Maestro was the only one to go grey, the others would have left service by then. Had a couple of HAs, but amazingly neither was ex-BT, or even ex-council. One was ex-British Rail, though the yellow had been overpainted red, and my dad brushed it blue...

BlueVivavan-vi.jpg

(This is 1983...)