German online car magazine slags German car design

Junkman

I've seen and driven an i3 and think they're remarkable. Not pretty but a poke in the eye for pious prius wankers. The latest Rolf is alright but not as nice as the Mark 4. Current nice Teutonic tin is the A5, 5 Series, C class Coupe ( the other new mercs sre fucking horrible) but best of all is the 6 Series Gran Coupe - just stunning. So: cheaper Kraut stuff = as dull as it always was but some top end stuff is very nice.

I've seen and driven an i3 and think they're remarkable. Not pretty but a poke in the eye for pious prius wankers. The latest Rolf is alright but not as nice as the Mark 4. Current nice Teutonic tin is the A5, 5 Series, C class Coupe ( the other new mercs sre fucking horrible) but best of all is the 6 Series Gran Coupe - just stunning. So: cheaper Kraut stuff = as dull as it always was but some top end stuff is very nice.

Totally. From post-war pot and pan makers, through Isetta-creators to 2002tiiiiiii makers, (ignoring the rather-good 328 of the thirties which Britool made  very good use when UKSA knobbled the German state-sponsored warriors), BMW has always understood how to make the most out of the pubic.Rather like Ford, but more subtly, bay-emm-dobble-UU has made simply MASIF profits on usually very ordinary, often dodgy four-wheeled implements.

I was writing enthusiastically about the i3 before I drove it - it'll be on wikipedia in the 22nd century as the first serious EV. Tyres are even taller and narrower than a 2cv's, you know - and it grips just as well.

I tried to translate their captions as close as possible.

The headline:

Cringeworthy -  These are the most embarrassing German cars

Some cars have the average consumer wonder, what the manufacturer was thinking during the development. Here we show the most embarrassing cars of recent German automotive history.

audi-a2.jpg

This includes the chubby Audi A2 - a prime example of how a car should not look.

And yet THAT is the only GERMAN car I've ever thought "That's good design.neat.tidy.functional."

I'm amazed how much love there is on here for the A2 always thought they were really ugly myself.  Still I guess they are coming into Autoshite territory now with the oldest ones coming up 15 this year and the newest being 9.  They are not worth much, also as they are aluminium even the slightest bump usually means they are written off so with this in mind and the fact that old Audi's have never been popular as classics in the UK (except the Quattro versions) few are likely to survive and will be Autoshite gold by 2023.