my 1992 sapphire gls

fordperv

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

Lovely Saph

NO is an Essex reg along with VX, OO, EV etc. Possibly registered by FoMoCo at Warley when it was new?

Registered at trimoco in chelmsford, sutty2006 and I picked it up from chelmsford the owner was its original salesman at trimoco, he sold it to his son new and he had it from 3 years old

1 hour ago, fordperv said:

Registered at trimoco in chelmsford, sutty2006 and I picked it up from chelmsford the owner was its original salesman at trimoco, he sold it to his son new and he had it from 3 years old

Just around the corner to me. My old man had an 88 GLS Saph, I had a same colour (Regency red) 1.8 hatch at the same time. Somehow missed taking any pics of them together though.

Known a few people with these DOHC GLS Saphires, nice torquey engine but never understood why it was an 8V.

Think they occasionally throw timing chains when the tensioner fails so might be worth a pre-emptive replacement.

1 hour ago, bunglebus said:

Just around the corner to me. My old man had an 88 GLS Saph, I had a same colour (Regency red) 1.8 hatch at the same time. Somehow missed taking any pics of them together though.

Known a few people with these DOHC GLS Saphires, nice torquey engine but never understood why it was an 8V.

Think they occasionally throw timing chains when the tensioner fails so might be worth a pre-emptive replacement.

Its had a new timing chain kit and genuine ford MLS headgasket too, ive had an aftermarket hydraulic tensioner fail after less than 15000 miles destroying a cylinder head in the process, do you want to know something interesting about them they run pistons with small cutouts suitable for 16v heads, heres a pic which shows it

20181217-154134.jpg

I had an identical smokestone sapphire GLS in about 2007. Paid £450 for it and loved it. Was spotless too. Sadly the internal oil pump drive went on it and borked the DOHC engine and that was that.

It was a J reg and the last 3 letters on the plate were CUM which I used to get teased about near daily ha

I love sierras and cortinas but sadly for me I'm priced out of them these days!

8 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

These late Sierra’s were, I think, the most handsome of the lot.

I tend to agree. Here is my old J plater.  Yours is great @fordperv - does it have the very late dash when I think the air vents went to a different design etc?

sierra6.JPG.b8502ede2d3379b6fc4779f9309ce074.JPG

4 hours ago, egg said:

I tend to agree. Here is my old J plater.  Yours is great @fordperv - does it have the very late dash when I think the air vents went to a different design etc?

sierra6.JPG.b8502ede2d3379b6fc4779f9309ce074.JPG

The late dash was a big improvement I thought as the sierra dash was looking quite dated by then.

The very last ones even have a CAT as the legislation to require them by law came in in the dying few weeks of production.

I had an 18i LX with a cat and it needed a lambda sensor which was a pain as there were so few made

10 hours ago, The Mighty Quinn said:

The 1.8 CVH ones were iffy though, used to smoke like a bastard.

Mine did that but changing the cambelt was a piece of piss though. Think the ICME time is 36 minutes!

Mine was an E plate CVH so I was forever getting Pinto parts in error. Registered 23/08/87 I think, 9 days later it would have been an F plate

• 3 months later...
On 4/18/2020 at 8:01 PM, CortinaDave said:

The late dash was a big improvement I thought as the sierra dash was looking quite dated by then.

The very last ones even have a CAT as the legislation to require them by law came in in the dying few weeks of production.

I had an 18i LX with a cat and it needed a lambda sensor which was a pain as there were so few made

I'm confused about that, was the legislation change from 1st Jan 1993?  Mine is an Azura run out model with a 1.6 Pinto and doesn't have a cat but was registered 27/01/93.  I guess they could show the build date was in 1992 and as it was built the year before it could still be sold in Jan 93 with no cat?

• 9 months later...
On 8/12/2020 at 2:28 PM, Steve79 said:

Oh wow that was after my front bumper got damaged at work, hence the temporary red front bumper, I was gutted I couldn't get the correct 92 spec with foglights front bumper for it, it looks like this now20210307_162403.thumb.jpg.5a61f1210ada54895babd8baaf56d677.jpg