my 1992 sapphire gls

fordperv

well ive shown you my long term and probably upset people for what ive done, now its time to redeem myself, heres my sierra i have owned for a year and a half.

this is when i 1st got her, she looked good but the paint wasnt good the bumpers were scraped, the sill backs and part of the archs had corrosion, the headgasket was in early signs of failure and quite a few other problems, but she was straight and original

DSC_0706.jpg

DSC_0705.jpg

i sorted the problems and drove her around, until one fateful evening i got hit in the rear

DSC_0944-1.jpg

luckily just cosmetic, then discussions happened with my mate who owns a bodyshop, he let me work with him.

it started with dents sorted and sections of arch repair panels being let in

DSC_0009.jpg

then sill bottoms but then it turned into, this small imperfection will let it down

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

then it turned into we may as well just paint the whole of it

here it is flatted before polishing

DSC_0066.jpg

he polished the boot, back and top of the quarters so i could put the spoiler and bumper on

DSC_0077.jpg

heres the finish

DSC_0078.jpg

here it is polished up and out in the open

DSC_0168_zps1dd4d72e.jpg

i gave the suspension an overhaul, replaced brake calipers pads and discs, then got a tasteful stainless exhaust made

DSC_0247_zps845d7ac4.jpg

heres a picture taken at fordfair

saphpicfromrsowners_zps7e1aa30d.jpg

all ive done since is drove and enjoyed it

That is a gorgeous car. I had an identical spec one but in white K125ANM.

I absolutely loved that car, totally mint with all original paint and never welded.

Bought for £350 out of the loot ( back before OSF scene tax kicked in) .

There seems to be very few affordable clean cars anymore, they all seem to suffer various forms of rape.....banger/driftyo!/parts donor etc.

I had a black GLS, the colour was the best the Sierra came in, imho. It was a really nice car, but my lad was sick in it once after drinking Lucozade and the car just stunk and the smell never went, so I sold it to a mate.

In about 1998 my missus had a lovely white K plate GLS, a mate wanted to swap it for his F plate Sapphire Cosworth because he couldn't afford the insurance.

After driving the Cossie I turned him down, it wasn't much quicker and the GLS was much nicer to drive.

Just one of the many reasons I'll never have any money

• 1 month later...

You just don't see them in this condition on the road anymore.

Where I lived before where I am now a guy over the road has a Sierra 1.8lx in his garage that is mint. I lived there 10 years and he never used it in all that time. Must be really low miles as it looks factory fresh.

That is a gorgeous car. I had an identical spec one but in white K125ANM.

I absolutely loved that car, totally mint with all original paint and never welded.

Bought for £350 out of the loot ( back before OSF scene tax kicked in) .

There seems to be very few affordable clean cars anymore, they all seem to suffer various forms of rape.....banger/driftyo!/parts donor etc.

recognise that registration. Are you Penketh way? jJust that and the alpacas in your resto thread makes me think

recognise that registration. Are you Penketh way? jJust that and the alpacas in your resto thread makes me think

I'm not no, but i did buy it from a lad in sankey bridge around 2004/5. Unfortunately it died on the 26th of october 2006, when i wrapped it around a lamp post. I remember the date beause it broke my heart......

• 5 years later...

Well guys 5 years of running this daily took its toll some bubbles were popping up so it was time for a refresh so I went mad with the grinder and a 1mm cutting disk, I've replaced the rear inner and outer arches, sill backs, strengthened and up behind the sill, repaired the 2 front wings on the leading edge under the bumper and under the trim where ford decided it was a good idea to leave a hole and they rusted and a couple more localised repairs on the rear panel and roof, I hadnt ground the welds on the repairs flush on the primer pictures, I got it back on Tuesday after building it back up, I put a new sunroof seal on and had the windscreen replaced at the same time

20190812_201500.jpg

20190826_180956.jpg

20190917_160025.jpg

20190920_154840.jpg

20200118_111239.jpg

20200118_111237.jpg

20200118_111245.jpg

20200118_111333.jpg

20200130_124920.jpg

20200316_123014.jpg

20200316_123034.jpg

20200323_160525.jpg

20200409_154158.jpg

20200411_152624.jpg

20200411_154121.jpg

20200414_162905.jpg

20200414_162916.jpg

20200414_200923.jpg

Cheers mate I've not really been doing the internet over the past 12 months lol I have popped on here occasionally 

Im so glad I did the work, I'm very chuffed with how it looks again now

On another note I've been running around in this little french plop for a few months  while the saph has been in the bodyshop, a 1.2 sport what's sporty about it I definately do not know, it was nice and cheap, the only thing that's gone wrong with it was the key died so the uch didnt recognise the chip any more, I'm going to run it until the insurance is out then move it on

20200325_163556.jpg

Yowzers.

These late Sierra’s were, I think, the most handsome of the lot. They looked great right up to the end. 

Would I have bought one in 93 over a new Mondeo? Probably not. I think the pen holder would have made me overlook the jamming brakes and the pull to the left. Now? I’d happily spend twice as much on a nice run out Sierra. The problem is most people want over 5k for any Sapphire and they’re my favourite!

Lovely car, @fordperv. I’m very very jealous!