Offensive Wreck

KruJoe

You say that...I would agree with you, apart from one time on a neglected 106. I stabbed it and hammered it round with the screwdriver. I thought it was turning, but all I was doing was tearing the hole in the side of the filter until the screwdriver had cut the end off! Bother and blast said I, or words to that effect. Ended up with a hammer and chisel on the filter base to get the sodding thing off.

I hammered the screwdriver through a stubborn filter on the Scirocco once which I hit a little too hard and it went straight through a live wire running right behind and caught fire. 

Albert Ross suggested one of these several years ago. Still to buy one, I really don't know why I haven't yet. 

Worlds%20Best%20Oil%20Filter%20Wrench.jp

the kwak had afilter like that no access from side (which is odd on a bike)  and you needed a cup type only which i didnt have and no where local had right size

screwdriver elongating the stab hole wasnt funny until it hit something solid and finally started turning - i bought one of those things  ^^^^    and it just squashed the end of the filter :D

10 min job took hour and a half (of rage)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the bump Tim! I plan to dig this POS out from the back of the shed to resume activities this weekend.

P1140760_zps91d54016.jpg

P1140745_zpsa38a7867.jpg

The prettier, earlier front end from the green one will be going on the silver car. I think I have the pair of vents, though one is off in that picture, I have no spare ones I'm afraid, and there was nothing mounted in the holes in the silver bumper, so I don't know if they'd be the same.

Edit for measurements:

P1030488_zpsyujuekhm.jpg

17cm long.

P1030490_zpsz3z0pvkb.jpg

7.5cm wide.

P1030491_zpswdi7sj3h.jpg

The vents look like they're not 'handed' but they are.

P1030492_zpsqx6m7asp.jpg

And the two mounting points are staggered, not an even depth.

Hope that helps.

Yes, I brought it into the kitchen to photograph :)

• 2 months later...

Apologies for lack of updates folks, but progress has been made.

As you may have read in this strange thread...
http://autoshite.com/topic/20160-suzuki-swift-1989ishhelp/

post-1381-0-45819100-1429345907_thumb.jpg

Jings. How much time did the Justy spend in its Inverness registration area? The roads are very heavily salted up here.
Is the silver one going to see the road again?

The green bogie I bought in about 2008, it had been a kid's plaything on a farm atop a hill in bleakest North Yorkshire. It came with Reekie Forres (IV36) number plates. Shame I couldn't save it, it was too far gone even then.

The silver wreck was also a field car, as you've seen in the thread. It WILL be on the road soon, though I've neglected the updates recently. As of this week, welding was completed (hopefully).

Yes, it has been somewhat of a mission. I won't bore you with step by step, patch by patch, but has been had rather more than the Samara had during it's first weldathon. (That is currently in the middle of its third!)

However, this example is fairly typical of how it's been going. The NSF corner of the floor. How it starts... not looking too bad:

P1310004_zps0590ada2.jpg

A bit of a scrub with the flapper left nothing but sound-deadening:

P1310007_zpsca6f0faa.jpg

Inside:

P1310010_zpsf30e4a53.jpg

Bollocks.

P1310016_zps3b226227.jpg

All cleaned back:

P1310017_zps6b30d308.jpg

And then...

P1310021_zpsfc2a3758.jpg

Some nice-ish patches

P1310019_zpsb61f3f0a.jpg

Stitched both sides where possible.

P1310022_zps06eed0cd.jpg

Will's new welder has been a joy, once I've got my metal clean, and lighting right for me to see what's occurring.

I haven't got a pic of this part at the next stage, but here's the OSR sill end patched up, painted with my phosphoric acid, and left to dry.

P1310146_zpsint2efx0.jpg

After that, it's plenty of zinc primer and underseal.

As I said, I've hopefully finished all the welding this week. There's still loads of tidying up, and re-assembly, but there's light at the end of the tunnel now. :)

Aye, the green one's deffo a breaker, as per my sig.

It is donating a complete front end, rear lights and bumpers, full interior, dash, stalks, springs etc. to this project.

What do you need?

I could do with mainly small bits and pieces really:

- A steering wheel but I think all Justy's had air bags

- A rear screen heater button, the LED is dead in mine and I keep leaving it on

- Parcel shelf supports if they are OEM

- An interior rear view mirror, the mirror layer on mine has deteriorated around the edges.

- From the digram below: part 24 from both sides and part 28-29 from the driver side

Window%20Channel%20Diagram_zpsfzhryufm.j

I have no idea what these parts are called or what they do but they're broken on my car.

I'll have a look tomorrow for those bits Matt. Mine are five doors, but I think the door parts you need may be the same.

About airbags, yes, both Justys have airbags, but the earlier one seems to be a self-contained unit, so you could maybe fit one of them (no wires to a remote trigger). Dunno about the horn switch/wire system. There are several options there.

I think yours is a later one so will have the post-face-lift dash in it. Can you please photograph the switch you need, then I can match it? Ta.

This is definitely making me think my suzuki isn't that bad after all. Shame my welding shit (well for now)

To be fair Shrimpy, this silver one had about the same rot in this area as you've shown there.

P1310205_zpsxgqrohka.jpg

This is the OS sill, after welding and acid. It has been patched about 80% of it's length.

P1310208_zpsindwyoee.jpg

I've had to reconstruct the front corner of that seam too. Have you had the wings off yours? Maybe best not go looking for trouble, but the chassis rails above the wheel (normally hidden) are notorious.

P1300997_zps0446e255.jpg

You're doing alright by the looks of things in your pics. If you post some close-up pics of your welds, some of the more experienced welders may be able to give you some pointers.

The only thing I can say from what I see there is that maybe you'd get cleaner welds if you used the flapper or ground back a bit further to clean the metal on the car.

I'm glad to see yours being saved, anyway.