Van question (not shite, soz)

MrDuke

Despite the thrilling subject, my question got a bit lost in the 'stupid' thread...

Is there any appreciable difference between the big Renault TDi and DCi engines? I've heard plenty of awful stories about DCis failing spectacularly, but I'm not so clued up on the earlier jobbies.

Basically, supposing an imaginary* person were to theoretically* pick up a non-existent* Master 2.8TDi from, oh I don't know, say 100+ miles away, should they be joining the AA well in advance?

A quick Google turned up with this:

Although being the internet it could be total bollocks of course. :-)

Summary:

Total Rubbish

Faults:

Firstly temperature sensor failure, dealer was very good.

2nd fault, rear wheel bearing failure at about 40,000 miles. A different dealership changed the wrong bearing, destroyed the drive shaft and returned the van like that. I took it back, they had it for a week, they told so many lies I had to pay for an independent vehicle inspector to go in and get the truth.

Third fault, driver's seat welding broke, complaints fell on deaf ears.

Fourth fault, total gearbox failure at 86,000 miles, Renault warranty is 3 years or 60,000 miles, whichever the sooner, they refuse to do anything to help. The dealership (Mumfords at Plymouth) have been great, Renault themselves are totally without any sort of flexibility or customer goodwill.

General Comments:

I will never buy anything from Renault ever again.

Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? No

Man maths plus Man logic plays a huge part in any vehicle purchase. Renault or anything else.

The formula being along the lines of:

Want% > than funds = purchase. Minus internet dire warnings. Multiply wantage over warnings and factor in anger from Spouse. Subtract anger. Add hugely exaggerated estimates of fuel consumption.

If answer > 1 buy it anyway!

:-)

Don't think they'll be much better or worse than anything else at that age tbh. When I worked for ****** ***** we had a few Masters on fleet and they were ok, no real issues although the Transit was a nicer place to be.  I think the big issue with any van at that age is how its been looked after previously really.

Well, I went for the least 'pikey-looking' van I could find, plus it's not been used for couriering or delivery work, so that's a bonus. I would have gone for a Transit, except they're twice the money of everything else (except Sprinters obv), and I don't believe they're actually twice as good. I even considered a Convoy for a while  :oops:

I've just perused the COD forum, on the basis that courier vans take more abuse than most, and they seemed to think them as good/bad as anything else.

Yep, I'd seen that (and a few others!)  :-D   To be fair, most of the frustration seems to stem from Renault themselves - I wouldn't expect a 14-yr-old van to be perfect anyway.

If you are looking for a grenade, and two would be offered to you, one with the pin already pulled out, the other not, which one would you chose?

Also, the van to buy as an Autoshiter is an LDV. I had a Pilot and it never gave me any trouble, mainly due to the fact, that it wasn't equipped with anything that could go wrong to begin with.

If you are looking for a grenade, and two would be offered to you, one with the pin already pulled out, the other not, which one would you chose?

Also, the van to buy as an Autoshiter is an LDV. I had a Pilot and it never gave me any trouble, mainly due to the fact, that it wasn't equipped with anything that could go wrong to begin with.

GPWM  :-)

On the (sore) subject of Pilots, I was on the point of getting a nice minty one from this very parish, until The Executive Manager decided it was the wrong shape/style/colour/day of the week/whatever  :mad:  She might have been swayed by a Convoy, except the only ones I could find were either camper-converted, or rougher than a badger's ar5e, or both. Ho hum. I guess there's a minutely slim chance that a mk2 Master might edge into shite territory one day, if it lives long enough.

Well, we made it home uneventfully, and it's in surprisingly good nick overall. 1st gear expired many moons ago (which I already knew about) and 2nd is not long for this world by the sounds of it; there's also a lot of clunking when steering, but all in all I'm chuffed with it.

Oh, and it's a definite contender for futureshite - beige dashboard, electric nothing, and the most comically vague gearshift I've ever used  :-D   Miles of motoring pleasure to be had.

You moved too quick, Dukester.

Just look at what style you could have had...

$_12.JPG

i originally bought this van to start up my own jetwashing and courier business but due to expanding family, ive had to take on full time, contracted work so i have no time to do this van up and start my own business.

this would be an ideal opportunity for anyone with time to fix this up!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LDV-convoy-1998-LWB-ideal-man-van-start-up-panel-van-for-existing-business-etc-/191088046121?pt=UK_Commercial_Trucks&hash=item2c7dbc3029