Modern Buying Advice

warren t claim

I'm having a look at a Mk4 Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Dizzler estate tomorrow and I was wondering what to look for on these modern type vehicles? Obviously being a mid sized Ford constructed after 1970 it'll eat suspension bushes but what else are the main weak points?

Injectors and DMF spring instantly to mind. Both hellishly expensive to fix.

Any hint, even slight, of it running on kangaroo juice is usually the first sign in both instances.

Oh, and suspension bushes made of chocolate, as you have alluded to already.

Oh, and exhausts held on by a couple of rusty bolts and blind faith.

My experiences come from racking up over 65K in under 4 years in a Mk3 2.0 dizzler - I wouldn't imagine the Mk4 is much different in these regards.

You know, something I've always thought about Fords is that from the late 1970s to the early/mid 1990s they had excellent engines. Before that, the mechanical bits were shit. Now they seem to have gone shit again, along with all other car manufacturers. Another thing that I remember about old Fords, is that whilst the engines were good the body would drop to pieces around them.

My FIL has an 07 plate diesel coming up to 90k miles...dunno if these are typical faults but in two years he's had a failed rear wheel bearing, rain leaking in via pollen filter, seized bonnet lock and rusted exhaust. I only mention the latter as the original was in one piece, so had to be cut to remove it. Bit of a waste if you ask me when only one part had failed.

as above

injectors, fuel pumps, dual mass flywheels, crank pulleys, broken coil springs, drop links, worn suspension bushes and heated seat elements,

ohhhh..........and try and get the bstard to start again after you changed the fuel filter  :shock:

the petrol is a slightly better option

but on the plus side.......its probably no worse than any other modern motor

I am going to make a bold statement - I bought a vectra because it was a more reliable option than a mk 4 mondeo!

Fuel pumps, turbo, injector, creaking b posts - I could go on. No cheap fixes either - vectra is inexpensive by comparison.

Ask yourself this - how many vectra taxi's do you see? Lots. How many mondeo mk 4 taxi's? Hardly any.

I have heard too many professional mechanics say the same word when asked about the mk 4 mondeo - "don't."

A friend of mine has a 2005 Mondeo Diesel and has had nothing but trouble with it and it cost him close to a grand the other month to get fixed and it's not a knackered ex cab but a well looked after 90k example..

I think the main problem with his was an injector and fuel rail problems and the injectors are coded so your average joe bloggs can't just change them with a couple of spanners.

Unless your doing starship mileage I would plump for a petrol version.

My fathers mate has a 06 petrol Mondeo which runs on LPG and it's never had an issue and he says running on gas is the equivalent in cost of getting 50/60 to the gallon on a run.

My 2005 Mondeo TDCi with the PSA engine was a better car mechanically than the 2008 Focus 2.0 TDCI that I've bought to replace it with is, sensors and poor starting being the biggest issue and I can't say 37mpg is anything to write home about either.

I'll be buying a petrol next time.

I'm hoping to buy at 120,000 and run it for a couple of years/250,000 miles so petrol; won't be much of an option. I've been told to steer clear of the 1.8 engine as it's not suitable for taxi usage. Whatever car I buy will have big running costs as I'm doing over 1200 miles a week but the Mondeo is super roomy and a nice place to sit.

A bit different, buying for Taxi duty.

As a Taxi customer, I do hate using cars with no room in the back for my head or legs! The space between the B pillar and the front of the back seat is rarely enough to easily swing my size 10s through and back doors can be really low on headroom even if headroom is ok once seated.

For short rides I much prefer van based things, they are much better to easily get in and out of and see out of. I feel horribly trapped in the back of a Mondeo unless the driver is tiny and has her seat right forward and the headrest right down.

I have a MK4 2.0tdci estate.

so far it's been fine,couple of small niggles,

It was showing 134km on the clock when I got it,it's now at 190km and pulls like a train.

it spends a lot of time on rough country roads and never had a suspension problem.

A rubber hose going into the DPF got burnt due to the heat and caused the EML to come on,

10mins under the car and some new pipe had it sorted.

Indicator stalk started to indicate even when in the off position,

a quick dismantle and clean had it working perfectly again,

likewise the boot release switch.

Thats about it in 2 and a bit years of ownership and almost 60,000 KM.

Will return 45-50 mpg,huge inside,comfy and good to drive,and a really stong shell,

watch some crash tests on youtube.

This is mine,Thunder grey.

Yellacoop007.jpg

Yellacoop008.jpg

Yellacoop007.jpg