Tales from the Two Poster.

Barry Cade

If this hasn't been sorted yet I would say the best approach is if you can get someone with an account to take it on the van and see what they say. I've bought stuff off Ebay which turned out to be a crock and they've sorted it but I suspect it depends a bit on the dealers attitude toward the customer.

Flag down a snap on van and get a replacement, they've a lifetime guarantee.

I did try speaking to a snap on van man that was outside the garage I used. He seemed distinctly uninterested in helping me and referred me to head office. It's still sat in the box under my bench waiting to be sorted.

I've bought a Halfords torque wrench for my own replacement. A very nice, quality tool.

• 4 years later...

Holy thread resurrection Batman !

I will try and add some to it when I can .

At the moment I’m so bloody busy and frazzled when I get home tho .

Having al the mots at one end of the year due to the covid extension is bad enough but every single job seems to have An Dens !

Customer books in for a service for example , so somewhere between 1-2 hours allowed. They rock up on the day and drop a timing belt or clutch bombshell . While it’s nice to have the work there is no way to allow for that kind of extra . It’s like going to a barber  with an appointment then asking them to do your whole family . 
Pretty much every job seems to be like it . Of course they all need it done before some tale of woe emergency drive etc . 
That’s before any MOT fails which I do try and allow for . 

2 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Of course they all need it done before some tale of woe emergency drive etc . 

Get this all the time selling parts, 

"I need the part now Im driving to such and such tomorrow morning!"

As if telling me that suddenly makes our suppliers warehouse magically open back up and deliver the parts to me on a sunday, NMFP M8.

Have any of you guys noticed an increase in customers telling you what you need to fix? From several of the Facebook groups I'm on, it seems like more and more people are giving a symptom (or a video) with the request "What shall I tell my mechanic is wrong?" I sometime reply to say that a decent mechanic is far better placed to diagnose than a bunch of internet experts, but I've given up trying to help. You get about 20 people coming up with random guesses, and any requests for more information about the fault are ignored!

Yeh get  loads of that now ! Had a focus booked in last week for a clutch . As soon as I drove it in I could feel it was a hydraulic issue and the m/cyl was creaking away . But the customer supplied the clutch kit and was insistent on it being changed so that’s what it had . Old one was a bit worn but fine and guess what ? It didn’t fix it ! 😂

Yes I’m a cunt but don’t tell me how to do my job