OLLI - I can haz old Landy - Staying for another winter

Guest Breadvan72

Guest Breadvan72

I have punted on the old Red Rangey, but as I am an old knacker that comes from Solihull, I needed another old knacker that comes from Solihull, and so I stopped off at Watford this morning and purchased a 1976 Series 3 Landy, as one does.  It is a pezzer version and much better than the very rough diesel one that I had until 18 months ago (sadly now broken for spares by an unfeeling type).

Pics here, and possible epic 35 miles of total terror collection thread later this week.  

DXrQ6LH4.jpg

W3A1JqcV.jpg

l797lMoF.jpg

post-5528-0-19129000-1392589764_thumb.jpg

Guest Breadvan72

The jam was there for ages, no idea what caused it. I drove to the pub at Crowell for lunch, but went up Aston Hill and down Kingston Hill to avoid that mahoosive jam.

Guest Breadvan72

That must explain why it was cheap!  Not a biggie, though, as plenty of other holes in the heap to let the air in to the mighty engine, and blow the cold wind around my knackers (but no wind can be as cold as that which will blow around my knackers when my wife sees this Landy). 

Guest Breadvan72

Chassis and bulkhead appear implausibly sound.  Last MoT 01 02 14 says no worries, advisory on brake pipe.    I am now stressed out because usually I only buy right cranky old grids and this one seems a bit reasonable.    No doubt I will find that in fact there are angry badgers living in the gearbox, or something.  They did not make much fuss when I test drove the heap, but we shall see.  

Guest Breadvan72

I collected the Landy today, and drove it on the M25 and M40 for about 35 miles to get from Watford to Muddyshire.  Eek alors, I don't usually drive a lot in the inside lane, unless towing a trailer.  Pretty hairy in there as all the tailgaters seem to come right up yer wazoo. OK, I was only going at something between 50 and  60 (the speedo needle wanging back and forth between those two numbers), and probably more like 50, but those nerbs ought to realise that if they prang their small Euro hatchback or giffer Merc into the back of an old Landy with a non rusty chassis, the result won't be a draw.  

Anyway, all the high tech stuff like wipers and lights worked OK, and I eventually got off the motorway and tootled along some country roads, including a steep hill to test the brakes.

All the usual vagueness of steering and sketchiness of brakes are present and correct, but this Landy is mega smooooooth compared to my old diesel one  (which was a right dog, but a lovable one).  The engine feels positively ooomfy after the diesel version, and the gear change is actually pretty slick by old Landy standards.  The noise, as usual, is akin to sticking yer head in a tin bucket and asking a friend to whack it with a hammer. 

I called in at the local old 4 x 4 place to give the old Red Rangey a snog and collect a bunch of old tat from its boot.  It's all gone a bit mouldy inside as it has been sat in the rain for many weeks.    

I made the obligatory petrol station stop for photos, even though I did not need pez because the seller had kindly left over half a tank in the heap.    I then ended up at a local pub where the landlord is a series 3 maniac.  

All in all, this Landy seems pretty spiff as 38 year old semi-agricultural rattletraps go. 

Photos below include some interesting old things inside at the garage - a Bentley, a 944 and some red Brit sports car of uncertain type. Note also the pair of early 3 door Rangeys awaiting their fate or reprieve at the 4x4 place, the Red Rangey looking damp, and the fine Daewoo at the pub.  Also wanker briefcase to prove that this Landy is yer proper deluxe executive transport.  

post-5528-0-45733900-1392858684_thumb.jpg

post-5528-0-25831300-1392858833_thumb.jpg

post-5528-0-54204400-1392858896_thumb.jpg

post-5528-0-76788600-1392858966_thumb.jpg

post-5528-0-24891900-1392859003_thumb.jpg

post-5528-0-02279200-1392859047_thumb.jpg

Nice! Added points for going to the most fucking expensive petrol station in the world! 

There's an A reg s3 in a field just outside watlington that I eyed up at a BBQ we had in the farm there last year, was drunk and tempted, Amy stopped me though :( Galv chassis an everything!

Guest Breadvan72

I put a ceremonial tenner's worth in at the garage, to comply with AS tradition.  I usually go to the Shell in Stokenchurch, as some of my other heaps like to nom V Power, and even the Shell ordinary stuff is cheaper than the local Murcojuice. 

Stokey is the cheapest around, I've put £4 in at chinnor before to get up the hill to put £30 in at almost sensible prices. Asda wins for a full brim though at 126.whatever.

My uncle fills up his jerry cans at watlington before he goes racing and it's always eye watering after 25 litres in a can and 40 litres in his towcar!

Guest Breadvan72

Yeah, that Stokenchurch used to be well posh until I moved my collection of chod into the vicinity, and now your house is worth 10p.   That may explain the povvo petrol prices.   I love reading the local news about Stokey  with the many light hearted tales of fist fights and stabbings, and I like the semi-permanent police notice on the A 40 near the garage saying "crime operation in progress".    

I used to love watching the crashes on the main road (our old flat was above the fire shop, next to the chippy/chinky/bakery) Saw a great one once where a van pulled into the side of a corsa B at about 20 past 5. By 6pm the M40 was fucked, as was the road back as far as west wycombe and lewknor!

Do check out Chas if he is there nowadays though, although if you cant be bothered to wait 40 minutes for a good kebab go to Thame and get a much better, bigger one there, including driving and optional cheeky pint whilst you wait for the same time as driving to and waiting for Chas!

At least you will get a tossco local there soon! (Over in Marlow now, may move back to stokey if there's somewhere to rent when we get the dosh for a deposit!)