My autoshite

Maltelec

I have several pieces of autoshite

My 1983 County Station Wagon Land Rover (rebuilt)

Posted Image

My 1977 Police Car (currently being restored)

Posted Image

My 1975 Matrins Truck (to be restored)

Posted Image

My 1972? Drott (Click for a bigger picture - engine requires repairing)

Posted Image

I bought my CSW (brown land rover called Poo) when I was 19 (1st car). I then bought my Police land rover off Ebay for £102 about 2 years ago which will soon be drivable again for the first time in 6 years. My 3-wheeled truck I found in my local scrap yard which I bought for £50. One day I'll restore that.

And my Drott I bought to save it from being scrapped. It has 4 forward gears and 2 reverse, top speed of 5mph. 4.3 litre diesel engine with broken rings so it has bugger all compression. Its a 2 man job to remove the head it is that heavy. It weighs around 8 tonnes and once it gets moving is almost unstoppable.

So what do you recon?

International Harvester BD264 engine (thats 264 cu in = 4.3 litre)

It developes about 60BHP at 1400 rpm (top speed) and summet daft like 300 ft lb of torque at 800 rpm.

12v starter the size of my mums 1 litre yarris engine and a 18" main clutch IIRC.

Driving it is interesting. You have 3 clutches all operated by levers. 1 main clutch, and 2 steering clutches. You also have 2 brakes, one for each side. If you want top speed, you set off in 4th gear. There is a hand throttle which you basically set and leave at full all day long, and there should also be a stop lever but that is missing, as is the rest of the dials/controls including the air filter. It has a 4" stainless exhaust pipe. I'm going to stick a K&N air filter on, see if it really does give me more powa! and fuel ecconomy. Maybe even get 4mpg out of it!

I hope the gearbox has oil in it. Looking at the user manual, it requires 22.5 litres (5 gallons - 6US gallons) of gearbox oil :shock:

I havn't tested the hydraulics yet, but they rarely go wrong. The JCB thing at the back isn't ment to be there, but quite a few people used them. The main problem being it adds 2 tonnes to the rear, if not more.

The bucket can lift 2.5 tonne to quite a height, more than you'd think.

I almost forgot my other piece of junk

Posted Image

Martin (Bonser?) truck

Martin trucks bought out Bonser which is why it looks so much like a Bonser.

What is a Drott then and where's it from, and why the JCB plate?

A Drott is a tracked vehicle with a 4-in-1 bucket on the front. International Harvester first used the name Drott IIRC and when CAT and others made things in the same style they generally kept the name.The JCB back actor is something which literally clips on the back. Most "Drotts" didn't have this feature. It weighs the back end down and makes it difficult to steer, which is one reason why they wern't used all that much. The other problem is that they only do 5mph and with the metal tracks can't go on the road.

Looks like a nice place where you live, where is it?

North West England.

• 1 year later...

I've got an update on my Police Land Rover:

It is now running on the road, though still a bit away from "finnished"

Posted Image

I've got the removable Police sign on the front. Excuse the mucky wheel, I got a puncture and it was my only spare :oops:

Posted Image

Not the original interior lights, but they don't look out of place (pinched from a 1980 Ambulance)

Posted Image

And last but not least, listen to this kwality engine (need to turn sound up).

Its now got a rear door, and as of Xmas eve, door seals. Just need to fix the door tops and bonnet (still need painting), then pile on the Police junk. Then I'll sit back and watch it rust :D

Oooo, forgot to mention, I've taken appart every single nut and bolt. cleaned it, polished it, and put it back on.I basically moved the land rover from the garden to the workshop piece by piece. There are only 8 bolts I didn't remove, and they are on the hard top sides. Engine, gearboxes, axles, even the ones you never knew existed have all been taken appart and put back together.At the moment it's cost me over £8k. Worth it though, it is the oldest known SETAC Land Rover, and as far as I know, will be the oldest Police Land Rover still in its (mostly) original Police state.