The prodigal returns!

nigel bickle

Several years ago -long before this august Forum was even a twinkle in its designers eye- I put a Renault Caravelle in for some bodywork.

To cut a (very) long story short -the 'restorer' vanished ,along with the car.

I consoled myself that- knowing the car well -having rebuilt half of it -I would recgonise it when it eventually surfaced.

I did use the Feds to try and track it -but they were as much use as a chocolate teapot. Little interest or understanding at all.

So -imagine my suprise when Item 330184279816 appeared on Ebay- my Caravelle.

A lengthy chat with the new 'owner' -presentation of credentials, service history etc etc, and I 'bought' it back; collection next week when the cheque clears.

Nice man -sold to him with a V5c (how do you do that when the car is listed as stolen, has a crime number, and DVLA are made aware?) and receipt -I now intend to hunt the miscreant down & press charges- civil & criminal.

Seems I paid £1300 to 'alleged said miscreant' (-and a pair of near unique original sills) for a cheap lash over and pattern copy sills.presumbly sold mine -along with the Cosmic alloys that were on it.

Still,overall, very happy to have it back:-

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb290/nigelbickle/renault/9306_1_sbol.jpg

Posted Image

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb290/nigelbickle/renault/9c81_2.jpg

It does seem to have been a strange week:-

Looks like I've bought a Taunus Transit in Germany (from OldBus on 'the 'other' forum)

Got a Fiat 850 and 1100d to collect, and, yesterday, was offered a splendid throw back by another esteemed member of this very site- which I accepted with alacrity.

Also sorting the 124 & Isuzu- still in Oz whilst the brakes are repaired.

Alas-SWMBO thinks we're contracting the fleet. Poor deluded soul!

How did you approach the seller to ask for your car back then? That must be a delicate one. 'Er, this car you've got for sale, well actually it belongs to me and i would like it back please'.Did you have to pay the seller his asking price to secure it? Is the guy he bought it off, the same feller that you handed it over to or has it been through some other pairs of hands?Mega respect to you for playing it cool! I would have been absolutely purple-faced with astonishment, fury and lord knows what else if i saw my previously-stolen car for sale on ebay.

Thanks all. it was a difficult one. The new owner, Tim, had bought it in good faith, complete with V5c -in the sellers name/address, and written receipt. he had no knowledge of its history.So -where did we stand. i am clearly legal owner -crime number alone effectively proves that- & I'm unlikely to sell it less hood, lights, bumpers etc- still in my possession. That and a copious wad of history. So the Old Bill would have grabbed it -mucho hassle all round.We met -nice bloke -and thrashed it out. I had a good look at 'my' car -and he had a good look at my paperwork. He offered to buy the paperwork, bumpers etc etc -or sell the car for what he paid -about 60% of the listed price. I took the later route. I had already shelled out £1500ish on 'repairs'- and wasnt going to get that back.I had the history to prove it has only done 16000 miles -cos of a silly fault when it was first assembled. In essence- the titled lady owner (really!) sufferd brake failure every 1000 miles. Renault Knightsbridge put new pads in each time (bills for 12 sets in 16000mls!) and sent her off. M/cyl was sticking on -wearing the front pads down which -then shot out of the caliper! So the front was a mass of dents and bashs -and the car had been stored since 1977.Anyway -I paid for it and collect next week once the cheque has cleared.I then intend to file formal proceedings against the miscreant -lets call him Paul, for instance, and follow up with civil proceedings for the lot.Criminal proceedings is a cert -and once found Guilty -civil should be a formality. So -all being well -money back in about 2 years!!

• 5 years later...