My, how you've grown...

Ratdat

If there is one thing I can say in favour of the newfangled behemoths, then it's that I like the 'because we can' factor.

"If we'd stop doing things just for the heck of it, it will be a very sad day indeed".

(Sir Donald Campbell)

But.

The 1971-1976 GM full-size range, in particular the A-Bodies (Cadillacs, Buicks, and senior Oldsmobiles, i.e. the Ninety-Eights) were arguably the largest mass-produced cars delivered in automotive history. The severely downsized 1977 models are often seen as a result of the OPEC oil embargo by the ones not in the know, however, this is not the case.

Given the 4-year lead time of new model development at the time, the decision was obviously made well before the Sheiks turned the oil tap control wheels clockwise. If you add the managerial decision process and the lead time for persuading the bean counters to clear the funds for the development, the initial decision was actually made shortly after the 1971 models were launched. If I then believe some people I know who actually worked in the GM design studios at the time, the reasons for downsizing were a lot more trivial, namely to maximise profit.

Let me explain.

- The cars had reached a size that allowed fewer cars being on the assembly line at a given time, which reduced output.

- The heft of the cars required such an amount of raw materials, that a certain profitability threshold was passed.

Consequently the decision to downsize was made to reduce unit production cost. Making the cars smaller not only rectified the above mentioned points, but since the smaller cars no longer required the expensively to produce Big Blocks to perform well, those could be deleted as well.

In the end, the 1977 GM full-size offerings were reduced to a 116 inch wheelbase, last seen on the 1955-1957 models, or the Intermediates. They also were a whopping 550 lbs lighter than their predecessors on average. Other US manufacturers followed suit with the usual delay and a lot more haphazardly developed shite, to merely counter the GM marketing offensive, and not as a reaction to the oil crisis either.

I just thought this completely pointless piece of useless trivia might interest the odd autoshiter.

However, considering the above, I see history repeated. With that, I think we will see yet another generation of yet bigger cars in Europe, before downsizing commences. Currently, the new car offerings in Europe are a slap in the face for any self-respected engineer, but that's probably only my opinion, as usual. Please be aware that I actually am a graduate automotive engineer who aspires to the demanding standards set by the likes of Spen King.

Oh, before I forget, the downsizing of passenger cars in America has led to the daft septics now predominantly buying lorries. Because they can.

The only thing that really bugs me with moderns is that you can't bloody see out of the damn things. I drove a new corsa (shit) and it has these tiny little triangle rear windows that are too high to look through over your shoulder, and the dash is so high its like sitting in a well.

I find mrs oman's sandero hard to parallel park, can't see where the front or back is. no wonder so many cars have parking sensors fitted.

I dunno, maybe I'm too used to square volvos.

You are dead right about poor visibility,on my fiat stilo the A pillars are so big that more than once when coming up to a roundabout I have to look twice to make sure there are no cars/motorbikes on the roundabout hiding behind them,not good!!.While on about size of moderns,some friends recently chopped an old Xtype jag for a new astra coupe thingy and the astra wont swing into their awkwardly shaped garage, but the X type fitted in the garage no problem.

I think the Odious can be forgiven it's size,as in Korea it was available as an 11 seater. Yes,it's our fault for having such fat Western arses that this abomination is just an mpv here.post-17414-0-25924600-1390647751_thumb.jpg.

What excuse the man that designed two of the last Gentlemans cars ever made has for the way it looks,I have no idea.

Here's a couple of Kens's less popular earlier efforts.

post-17414-0-35983700-1390647881_thumb.jpg

post-17414-0-85429200-1390647905_thumb.jpg

From memory, I think the centre seat of the 3rd row flips up to allow a little corridor to the back. That Rhodius may look awful from the outside, but configured as a 6 seater, they are really comfortable to be in. I did 800 mile as a passenger in one of these and felt like chopping in my Kia Carnival for one. The 3.5V6 lump in the Kia won the day though.

Aaah yeah that doesn't appear to have changed - B category is 8 seats at 17 years of age, 16 seats at 21 years of age but not for cashmoney.

Doesn't alter the fact it's fugging ugly. 

http://www.uglycars.co.uk/uglycar.asp?ref=71

f a person were to take a collection of blind kittens at a heavy metal concert and ask them to design a car whilst stabbing them repeatedly with a sharpened stickle-brick, then the result would almost certainly be an improvement on the Rodius

The wheel size is to do with the aesthetics.  Apparently the design is easier on the eye if the space between the front and rear wheels corresponds to the size of around three wheels.

I often have to manoeuvre big cars in small spaces and it gets irritating when the front and rear parking sensors are going off at the same time, luckily some of them do have reversing cameras which do help.

The pics of cars and their ancestors are a real eye opener. Anything pre '80s looks like a toy next to what amounts to some of the smallest cars you can currently buy. I guess some of the growth is beyond manufacturers control, mandatory safety features and the like but peoples expectations of what comes with a car are very high - air con, sat nav and so on all need squeezing in somewhere. It's interesting that the increasing proportions have allowed new smallest cars to be slotted in; Ford Ka, VW Urban Fox, BMW 1 series etc. etc.