Autoshite book club

Sounds good Seth - I have a small collection of American "Road & Track" magazines from the late 70's and early 80's; Paul Frere wrote their "Letter From Europe" feature. Incredibly coherent reporting, and enjoyable to read.I must admit I am also tempted to try and find some AA Drive magazines, as the covers of the ones Rootes Arrow posted up look intriguing...

He died only a couple of years ago as the result of complications arising from an accident he had while test driving a car. He was 91!

Blimey, I didnt realise he was that old or had such a history. I mainly knew him from his '911 Story' as it's always recommended to 911 owners and fancy getting a copy someday.

• 3 months later...

Here's what's been keeping me entertained at bed time for that last week or so.

Posted Image

I picked them up at the Enfield Pageant for £1 each. Mr Walkerly was Continental Editor or some such for "The Motor" and spent a lot of time travelling abroad sometimes to various races/car launches, other times on holiday. The first book was written in '49, the follow up in '53. I'm a fan of Brockbank's cartoons and that was what attracted me to them really.

Posted Image

But they turned out to be fascinating to read. Little is mentioned on his reasons for traveling or indeed his vehicles (A Riley is mentioned in passing - pre-war I reckon - and a Ford Pilot in the second book) but as a social history of driving around Europe they are really good.

Posted Image

Its amazing how much alcohol is consumed en route, wine, brandy, gin etc and he passes comment on the standard of various hotels, restaurants, cafes, nightclubs etc so that if you happened to be going in a similar direction you could keep an eye out for them. The war is also mentioned a fair amount as at "home" rationing was still in force, and there were limits to how much money you could take abroad, but he shows how other countries had recovered much quicker after the fighting ceased - I guess they were not as economically damaged as the UK.

Posted Image

There is a real sharp wit in his writing too, making them very enjoyable to read. Recommended!

Posted Image

I'm currently dipping in and out of Peter Carrick's All Hell and Autocross...more Hell and Rallycross. It was a pressie from Bodie & Doyle after he spotted it at Capesthorne. It has a Nantwich County Library stamp inside the cover - seems someone checked it out to be returned in July 1973 and never bothered.....

I read it blatantly at work as part of my 'Work Is Bollocks - Apathy Initiative'

Here I can be seen enjoying it whilst pretending to give a toss about your delivery related problems:

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

I've just started reading this:

Posted Image

Ferdinand Piech's autobiography. Unfortunately its all in german, and my german is dismal, so it takes me a good hour to get through a page, sat there with my dictionary. Howerver i'm trying to learn some german so this is a good shiter's educational aid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've just finished reading this:

Posted Image

A rollicking good read that I was inspired to buy after watching the excellent DeLorean documentary on BBC4 - see

The DeLorean story is well-known, but this goes deeper into the cult of personality that he nurtured; no doubt his dream of an "ethical sports car" started with good intentions, but his ego and desire to succeed led to production of what must be the most Autoshite-worthy supercar (as it ended up in the 911 price range) of all time*, ending up as nothing more than a gull-winged Esprit (with Cortina brakes!) with a stainless-steel shell, powered by a PRV V6 in the wrong end.

* Although the Bricklin runs it very close.

Got this coming in the post (don't click it, it won't do anything).

Posted Image

The book includes a history of models from 1979 on, including the Dodge St. Regis, Chrysler Newport, Dodge Diplomat, K-cars Dodge Aries K and Plymouth Reliant K, Jeep Cherokee and Dodge Intrepid.

Can't wait!

Hirst: as I'm sure you already know, that cruiser on the cover is the M-body Dodge Diplomat. :D I had the Plymouth Gran Fury, which is virtually identical, and was alleged to be ex-LAPD, though I never had any confirmation. I suppose I'd better go looking for your police car thread now... :shock:

That's not the one you've been after for a while is it Hirst? You started a thread about one, I believe to do with police cars..

No, it's by the same guy though - the book I wanted is Encyclopedia of American Police Cars, which I had on back order for months before they said they eventually came back empty-handed. It's available on eBay and other places, I think the cheapest price I came back with was in the region of £60! This was cheaper (at about £15) so I've ordered this to make do for now.

Eddy, stick a thread up about your old Gran Fury! Sounds superb. My thread was just a recreation of this book club thread because it was long-lost. I'd love a thread on here about American police cars, but only about three people would post in it, because US stuff somehow isn't shite enough for this lot. Rotters!

Hirst, we must be brothers! :D I HAVE Edwin J. Sanow's "Encyclopedia of American Police Cars," right here beside me on my desk. It was given to me by a very nice man, Chris Hahn, known in parts of the web as "Hoss," when I visited him in Pope County, Illinois in 2005. Marvellous book!

You want to talk police cars? I'm your man. I've had two, assuming my deductions are correct for both of them! One English, one American. Oh boy do I have stories! When I have the photo stuff figured out there'll be no stopping me...

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought and read this:

Posted Image

I remember hearing this guy on the radio when this book came out and he sounded llike a pretty interesting chap, he seems to be a journalist/writer/commentator-type character with a lot of interest in cars. He often featured in american car mag 'AUTOMOBILE' which i sometimes bought when i was about 13.

Gotta be honest though I didnt think all that much to his book, although there is a chapter about his exploits cadging a couple of Jeeps off AMC in the 80's and driving them down the Baja (knackering them completely), that I enjoyed. I certainly got the impression after reading it, that the place is a shithole, as far as somewhere so sparsely poulated can be.

Its just a collection of his best car-related articles , 8 or 9 chapters in all, about rent-a-wreck, driving a Discovery through India, and a few other bits.

Anyway if any Shiters fancy reading it PM me your address, i'll pop it in a jiffy bag for you and send it off.

Hey AG, that book went in the post this morning, second class like (as is the AS way).

In other news, I have just won this:

Posted Image

I have been 'doing turbos' for my job for the last 3 years, but I am sure this rare book will teach me a lot nonetheless. I am looking forward to seeing the great man's take on these things.

Got this from a charity shop today - a good book.

Posted Image

One to go on ebay soon.

This is good too

Posted Image

Includes the sc100 240z Suzuki swift Preludes etc

In other news, I have just won this:

I have been 'doing turbos' for my job for the last 3 years, but I am sure this rare book will teach me a lot nonetheless. I am looking forward to seeing the great man's take on these things.

That looks like it could be full of good (and long!) words :D Once you're done I'd love a chance to borrow it if possible.