Sierra "S"

andrew e

I had a brown 1.6 4 speed from Ford as a hire car in july 82 that had the grey grill and all the blanking plates

Really? That would make it an X-reg then, I didn't think they were launched until Y...?
my mistake it was July 83 :oops: old age creeping up on me :lol:

The povo spec I remember was OTH 803Y, belonged to a mate's dad. Turns out it was a 1600, but I'm certain it had the grey grille.According to the DVLA, who may not be faultless with their info.

Brochure says yes to 1600 being an option on the grey-grillers :DPLUS....... a 2.3 diesel 5-speeder
well reminded back in 1985 I worked for a frozen feeod delivery company, their rep had a plastic grilled diesel A reg it was and pale green, the only option it had was the radio...... thats what started of my love for diesel cars as well............ :shock:

I have replaced the bonnet with a hatchback (longbeak) bonnet, as it's all I could get!Reg G 56 ALK , if anyone has any info, let me know eh!

Strange about the bonnet, as I'm pretty sure that the French market Sierra saloon (did they call that Sapphire over there too?) had the same bonnet as the hatch. I wonder if Britain was the only place to get that separate grille arrangement on the bog standard models - RS Cosworth and P100 probably the exception.I well remember the first Ford Cars brochure featuring the facelift model in 87, the base trim level appeared to have the same 13 inch steel wheel/central half-hubcap arrangement as that year's Fiesta L, though no doubt a different offset and rim width. I have never knowingly seen one of these cars on the road, perhaps they only sold tiny handfuls due to the fact that the much more luxurious Orion Ghia was probably about the same price.

Now we're happy that the black slatty grille one actually exists, here is a challenge - first one to get a photo of one and prove they aren't totally extinct.Though if someone goes a step further and actually manages to secure ownership of one, they pretty much become Shite Master of the decade in my eyes.

I think just we got the grill unless you order the diesels on the continent, shite spotters will not the Granda's had a bigger intake grill for diesels too.

[anorak] Mk1 Mondeos have a different shaped grille opening on the diesels as well [/anorak] :lol:Sierra 2.3D is an Indenor lump, no? Definitely from the "dark age" of diesel with 55bhp extracted from 2304cc of pigiron...

Can anyone post up brochure pics of the early Sierras with the two and three slot "aero" wheeltrims. I used to think they were absolute beauts, but hardly see them around now. The only Ford range brochure I own is 1982 with the late Cortinas!Cheers!Mark.

Window profile on the other side (look at the interior) seems to indicate it's a 3-door on the nearside...

I went-a-hunting on the same site after I'd posted, saw an identical car the other way around in the background of another shot (with a maroon two-slot wheeltrimmed sierra in the foreground) but thought "oh wait, no, that's a three-door model" :oops: I remember the Urba well, really digged the interior!

I have a two slot wheeltrim in my shed, off my old workhorse VWA184Y.It started life as a Crystal Green 1.6 4 speed estate, but ended life as a 2.1 5 speeder with XR4i Brakes and diff.............great for towing heavy trailers with other Sierras on!I also had, a 2.3 GLD Mk2 with 360k on it, E615FVL, a really nice 2.0i Ghia MK1 D354THD, which was Regency Red, but crumpled when it got run over by a truck on the A46 one year..............A sweet 2.3 Ghia hatch in Crystal Green, and a 2.0 Ghia Estate ODO920Y in yup, Crystal Green. That was a 32000 miler for 35 quid, and lasted me for years, until I bought an S class Merc. Theres been loads more. B780AEV, C105RFE, A355XTN (My Xr4i) A225JCL, I do know where theres a B plate 1300 Three door in that hideous turquoise colour with coded grille ...............which I want to get before the barries or pikeys do................But i'm keeping quiet about exactly where!A mate in Nottingham had D23URA on a 2.3 Diesel Estate in White, aswell...............

THats an impressive history of Sierras. The 2 and 3 vent wheel trims are for me the ultimate in 80's style.The only 2 Sierras I knew well were my friends 1.6 4-speeder in Sunburst Red B459NMS (not rust at all at 13 years old but crispy dash top) and my Uncles LX Sapphy 1.8 F907MSL in metallic grey which literally fell to bits after 10 years.

My Sierra history is quite long and varied.First was a Cosworth 'replica' that seemed far too genuine to say no to at the time. A699 NWR, 3dr shell (not 4i), Cossie motor, suspension, interior, brakes, basically the lot but with a 3dr auto shell. Then an XR4x4 which I can't remember the reg of, a 2.3 Ghia Auto in JRG with beige interior, a Sapphire Cosworth F521JAT, then over the years a load more XR4x4s.Last one I had was a 4x4 Ghia estate with the Turbo Technics twin turbo setup. I miss that. G666PFJ.

I've had about 20 of the things. Great cars, but outclassed by the mk3 cavalier when it came out...Best ones were a Y plate 2.0 Ghia with 30 odd K on the clock. Diamond white with blue trim and all the toys in immaculate condition. The Y and A reg Sierras were built like tanks and lasted years longer than the C and D platers which rusted like buggery. Had it in 2001 and probably still would have had it but a muppet in a scenic ran up my backside when i was sat at a roundabout. Was just about fixable but then another (uninsured) muppet on the run from the police came screaming round the corner on a handbrake turn a fortnight later and went straight into the front end and wrote it off :(I also particularly liked a black sapphire GLS I had - J296 CUMA bloke walked past me when i was washing it and said " you can scrub all you want mate but you won't get the cum off " :lol: It was a minter as well but the internal oil pump went and that was the end of that :cry:

I've had about 20 of the things. Great cars, but outclassed by the mk3 cavalier when it came out...

I was never a fan of the Mk3 Cav, or indeed any Cav but the Mk3 did have a nice interior.I've had more Cortinas than Sierras, I still get the itch for a nice 2000E on a regular basis.

Sierra Ghias always lasted better than the boggo specs, partly because they were all German-built (the boggo stuff was either Belgium (Genk) in the main or Dagenham), and partly because they tended to be looked after better if they had a private 1st owner.

Cortina or Sierra?

Cortina. The Sierra doesn't hit the spot for some reason. Nice spec with AC and leather, but I'd rather have the Cortina.One of the 'lottery holy grail' items on my list is a black manual Mk1 Granada Ghia S with AC.There's a lot of stuff on the holy grail list though...