DVR Dashcam OTE £250 off great big Lisa Riley

cobblers

• 2 weeks later...

Mine arrived the other day and I finally set it up in my car today. It seems to run for three minute intervals which was still enough to capture me shouting WANKER at some bloke out for a run.

How do I upload onto here or Youtube or whatever, please?

• 3 weeks later...

Inside the camera there's only really a battery to wear out, but that only needs to last ten seconds to save the last clip after the power goes off (from new you can record for about 15 minutes on battery alone)

The mount is a bit flimsy so I wouldn't want to be taking it off every time I left the car, I've got it hidden up behind the rear view mirror and once I tuck the wires in the headliner you'll barely notice it from inside or outside.

My golf has a permanent fag lighter too, but I'd always planned to wire it up proper -  you can get "piggyback fuses" to steal a switched feed off the fusebox without actually cutting any wires, but there's a load of spade terminals in the golf fusebox ready to wire up to.

Any chance of some advice Cobblers,mine has now had 2 micro cards used,if you pop a new one in the cam works as it should but after a couple of days it still appears to view ok but none of the functions work,e.g. recording,time,date etc.Are the sd cards corrupted in some way?

Whoah, Had no problems with mine ever but someone else said these do work better with slow SD cards too. I only have whatever was cheapest about a year ago when I had some kind of 16gb microSD binge.

in all the time I've had the camera only once has anything really been worth showing anyone (that wouldn't result in me losing my licence anyway) and that was me doing a massive inadvertent TOKYO DRIFT round the roundabout at the top of my road on some diesel while playing "this charming man" on the wireless and carrying on an uninterrupted conversation about the availability of cheeses in morrisons with wor lass . Anyway I was so excited I went home and popped the card out of the camera so quickly it hadn't even saved that segment so I lost the amazing footage anyway. 

Tell you what, you're not wrong there. It's actually made me realise that I'm not quite* as good as driver as I thought I was. In some ways I'm hoping it'll help, as when I'm too close to someone because I don't like their car/face/hair and muttering obscenities away to myself, it's not going to look good in court if (God forbid) I have an accident one minute later. 

Anyone know what's going on here?

As stated in my Triumph thread: http://autoshite.com/topic/15584-1967-triumph-gt6-mk1-rust-dodgy-brakes-and-idiotic-previous-owners/page-3

I plugged the camera in and set it up so it should've taken video in 10 minute segments until I turn it off.

It diligently took video for half an hour, in 10 minute segments.. then filled the rest of the SD card with unreadable hour long mov files.

The hell???

Tell you what, you're not wrong there. It's actually made me realise that I'm not quite* as good as driver as I thought I was. In some ways I'm hoping it'll help, as when I'm too close to someone because I don't like their car/face/hair and muttering obscenities away to myself, it's not going to look good in court if (God forbid) I have an accident one minute later.

Surely if you required the footage as evidence you'd be muting the sound first ? :)

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Mobius undoubtedly.  Non wide angle version.  About £60. Works flawlessly.  And you can use it for a million other things (cycling, helmet, web cam, survey photos, remote controlled stuff). Better quality than a GoPro. (Two other cheaper cams I had failed after a few weeks or months.)  

Anyway, take the time to watch this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmIyD1fM4M#t=29 

Here's my much-missed Sirion filmed on my Mobius WITH the wide angle lens. I have never actually tried to use it in dash-cam mode (you can play around with the settings a lot). Happily, it seems to have survived being run over by an electric van. Just. 

-snip-

Nice intro sequence. Also Daihatsu 3-pots sound way cooler than the Suzuki equivalent, makes me want a Cuore more.

---

I used to have one of the ones pictured below, the front camera recorded in 720p HD* (ha ha, yeah right) and the rear camera recorded in 0.01p. The rear camera swiftly died (I think the cable was damaged ) which fucked the main unit internally, money = solidly wasted. I'm only really happy running a duel channel dashcam but there is only one good one that I know of and it's £250 or something daft like that and the front camera is a bit enormous. How hard would it really be to have two small HD cameras feeding to a box hidden under a seat or something? Starting to think that I may as well get a pair of Mobuis' (Mobiosi?)

700953175694.jpg

RIGHT POP PICKERS. That original cam I posted up has packed in. All the work vehicles have one in and they are all fine but they never get touched. I took mine off the window every night and stuffed it under the seat so the sucker got muck on it and lost it's mojo, it kept falling off the screen and eventually that was enough, now it just hangs when it turns on.

I have upgraded, to this. Again on recommendation of that techmoan guy. I was going to get a mobius cam and a lense extension lead, but this was easier and cheaper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121387416455

$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG

The image quality is about the same, sound about the same, but it sticks on the windscreen using 3M pads (it is still removable) but you barely notice it from outside the car if you have a decent black spotty bit on the screen to tuck it behind. The plastic bit coming off the back is just to hide the wires away as they feed under the headliner, you might need to cut it down.

I was always worried that I would get pulled by the plod and they would see the camera and want to have a neb on the memory card or whatever. Obviously I don't drive like a total maniac all over the place but there's no doubt going to be a fair few things that would get me in grief.

basically yes. Class 10 micro SD ideally. Turn off "G SENSOR" function as it creates un-overwritable files when it detects a collision (or pothole, or door slam, or loud burp) and fills the card up til you only have a few minutes of rolling footage usable. Again ideally you'd have an ignition switched power feed too so it doesn't record when parked, but they do have a motion detect funtion which records whenever it sees anything happening. OK if you have off road parking with generally no motion most of the time, but for me the card was fill in no time at all.

These dashcams are cracking at low light stuff, so I've got two of them in use as normal CCTV cameras at the moment running off phone chargers, to try and catch the person (Partridge?) that drew a cock and balls on our front door. I gutted one of them and stuffed it inside an old bulkhead light casing for stealth.

• 7 months later...

Crazy Thread Resurrection

Bought this today, been mulling one over for a while and the amount of people doing mad shit in front of my car I reckon it'll eventually pay off. Also, I keep missing some nice spots.

DrivePro-200-Car-Video-Recorder.jpg

It's a Transcend Drivepro 200 - a little bit more than the eBay one at £77 but given that this and similar threads are full of cameras going wrong, I thought it worth it. Also it has WiFi so no ejecting cards or messing with cables, you just connect your phone (which can also act as remote viewfinder) and select the videos to download.

Quality is pretty good - full HD recording at 30fps, and it has an f2.0 aperture.

It's a little bigger than I thought it might be, but it's not getting in the way. I've seen another mount for it that will tuck it up a bit more, but they give me an extra 3M pad anyway (plus that one has been peeled and restuck a few times, because I'm impatient).

IMG_20150815_172705.jpg

G-shock sensor seems a bit keen, keeps tagging stuff when I go over bumps and you can only have 15 emergency records but apart from that it loops in 1/3/5 min segments, and has a button to hit when you see a cool Autoshite Spot. Or have an accident. Either way, it records 10 sec before and 50 sec after as a locked file.

I'm still searching for one that's got a remote recording box that I can hookup down on the dash somewhere and a tiny little camera that I can totally hide in the windscreen.

Occasionally I will drive with severe enthusiasm on some empty country lanes or down the bypass at 2am or something and a few times over the years I've been pulled over afterwards and the copper has basically said "you were driving like a cock but I can't really prove anything so think yourself lucky, take this as a warning and slow down" 

Anyway nowadays if I were to hypothetically do the same thing (obviously I won't because I've been warned) he would just look up and see the camera on the windscreen and I would have to just take the SD card out and chomp it into a load of pieces then swallow it which would look suspicious.

I need to get my backside in to gear and get a dashcam too.

Nearly dropped over £100 on a Transend for the front and a cheapo for the back but forgot about it.

Someone suggested on here having a one with a swivel screen facing the person behind to deter tailgating which is a good idea, but that style seems to be falling out of favour. Still plenty ebay specials like that, and back recording should be less important in theory. Just hope it lasts.