Korean Cortina - MOT day

mat_the_cat

35 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Given the quality of some of the "professionally rebuilt" components I've seen I'd far rather do something like this myself than pay anything like that much unless I *really* trusted the seller.

Totally agree, if you have the time. Also way more entertaining for us to keep up with your progress.

14 hours ago, Surface Rust said:

This place claims to have some NOS RWD 'boxes, but the 'price on application' is worrying!

£1750 plus VAT, which I think is a bit steep as I'd have doubts over the condition of the seals at this age.

I'd *like* to have the time to DIY this one, but  I wouldn't be able to even start it until early July, so I could see the summer being over by the time it'd be finished. I did see the reconditioned one on eBay, but I'm probably going to go with an Ashcroft rebuilt 'box. It's obviously still early days, but I'm happy with the LR diff and they have a good reputation. They've always been responsive to emails too which is encouraging.

~£700, which I don't think is unreasonable given the labour time going into it, and the cost of decent bearings. I'll get the choice of gearing, which I'm still pondering over. I'm a little concerned that 5th will be too high to use on non-motorway roads (most of my travelling) combined with the tall diff and peaky camshaft. It'll probably be fine, but I just want to calculate ratios and speed/rpm combinations before I commit.

OK, I now have the cause of failure! I've made a start on removing the gearbox, but before I did so, took out the drain plug. Literally just a few drops of oil left in it :-( The drain plug didn't look too promising either.

20230601_153112.thumb.jpg.a64eefb8f41d7b4c32cc26f736a340dc.jpg

The really puzzling thing is how it's all escaped, and when! There is a fresh looking oil stain over the nearside floorpan of the car,  which is different to the longstanding oil leak I was sure I'd sorted. That was the rear output seal, and the oil was flung outwards by the propshaft, all over the exhaust and both sides of the car.

Since I replaced the seal (and the evidence of a leak stopped) I confess I haven't checked the level in the last 3k miles :oops: So it could still have been dripping out very slowly perhaps. Or could something have suddenly failed mid-journey? 

I've regularly been doing journeys up to 90 miles or so, so I'd expect it to have been an issue before now if it was dry of oil. But equally I can't think what could have suddenly & catastrophically failed, and why? There's the speedo drive and I think reverse lamp switch on that side of the 'box, but both pretty high up and it's not pressurised.

Neither option seems particularly likely to me!

I know it's probably no consolation but if it was as simple as you ran it out of oil, you plonker, bend over wallet out and get it fixed would that be a good* thing? 

At least nothing else caused it to fuck up on the engine or Mounting side that would be harder to sort, and dropping a good* box in would sort it without lingering questions

Can you retrofit some sort of level sensor that puts a light on the dash or similar? Then wire it up to a flashing beacon directly above your head

12 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I know it's probably no consolation but if it was as simple as you ran it out of oil, you plonker, bend over wallet out and get it fixed would that be a good* thing? 

At least nothing else caused it to fuck up on the engine or Mounting side that would be harder to sort, and dropping a good* box in would sort it without lingering questions

Can you retrofit some sort of level sensor that puts a light on the dash or similar? Then wire it up to a flashing beacon directly above your head

I think that would be my preferred cause, yes. Although it would be better for my ego if it was an unavoidable cause, it'd then be a reason to worry that something can potentially fail with no warning. 

I think that last year I've probably sorted the main leak (which was pretty bad!), seen no drips afterwards and just assumed that was the only leak. If it's something which only leaks when driving, it'll have been deposited on the underside and left no trace when parked. Clearly I should have checked the level again a month or two after replacing the seal, just to prove it. Lesson learnt!

6 minutes ago, mat_the_cat said:

I think that would be my preferred cause, yes. Although it would be better for my ego if it was an unavoidable cause, it'd then be a reason to worry that something can potentially fail with no warning. 

I think that last year I've probably sorted the main leak (which was pretty bad!), seen no drips afterwards and just assumed that was the only leak. If it's something which only leaks when driving, it'll have been deposited on the underside and left no trace when parked. Clearly I should have checked the level again a month or two after replacing the seal, just to prove it. Lesson learnt!

As old British bike owners say “ if it’s not leaking oil, there’s probably none in it….”

Or as I thought, if it's not leaking oil, I've finally fixed the leak!

Spent a bit more time on it today. Removed the centre console to reveal the TD5 Defender gear lever boot...

20230602_102950.thumb.jpg.e5db500541f38d5b43459491cc302774.jpg

...which covers the hastily enlarged hole the original shifter came up through.

20230602_103743.thumb.jpg.38ffe418bfb9e788e3e54fdf9a0359b2.jpg

Not my neatest work, but it was over 20 years ago now! I could then support the gearbox on a pair of jacks, and manoeuvre it out.

20230602_112930.thumb.jpg.8dc9f61ddae0a97394bc01ed1cc3d237.jpg

Once it was out I began to remove the bellhousing, to find that one of the spring washers had shattered and broken away. Very strange.

20230602_113434.thumb.jpg.2bb1db640a60679386a11100adb437a0.jpg

Finally it was clear, and I just need to work out how to get it to Luton.

20230602_120652.thumb.jpg.8d8c30ad2659eed5a183c36a8f5c7c59.jpg

If I get it couriered down this week, I can pick it up on our way back from holiday early July.  Or I could drop it off on our way out, and get them to courier it back - unfortunately there's not enough time for them to turn it around while we're away. Anyone got a recommended courier to use?

5 hours ago, mat_the_cat said:

Or as I thought, if it's not leaking oil, I've finally fixed the leak!

Spent a bit more time on it today. Removed the centre console to reveal the TD5 Defender gear lever boot...

20230602_102950.thumb.jpg.e5db500541f38d5b43459491cc302774.jpg

...which covers the hastily enlarged hole the original shifter came up through.

20230602_103743.thumb.jpg.38ffe418bfb9e788e3e54fdf9a0359b2.jpg

Not my neatest work, but it was over 20 years ago now! I could then support the gearbox on a pair of jacks, and manoeuvre it out.

20230602_112930.thumb.jpg.8dc9f61ddae0a97394bc01ed1cc3d237.jpg

Once it was out I began to remove the bellhousing, to find that one of the spring washers had shattered and broken away. Very strange.

20230602_113434.thumb.jpg.2bb1db640a60679386a11100adb437a0.jpg

Finally it was clear, and I just need to work out how to get it to Luton.

20230602_120652.thumb.jpg.8d8c30ad2659eed5a183c36a8f5c7c59.jpg

If I get it couriered down this week, I can pick it up on our way back from holiday early July.  Or I could drop it off on our way out, and get them to courier it back - unfortunately there's not enough time for them to turn it around while we're away. Anyone got a recommended courier to use?

Paisley Freight ships all sorts of awkward shite, I've used them for bikes before but they do wheels and engines I think

21 hours ago, mat_the_cat said:

OK, I now have the cause of failure! I've made a start on removing the gearbox, but before I did so, took out the drain plug. Literally just a few drops of oil left in it :-( The drain plug didn't look too promising either.

20230601_153112.thumb.jpg.a64eefb8f41d7b4c32cc26f736a340dc.jpg

IMG_20210613_152308.thumb.jpg.b88430874de8bfe919a3a919f2b5abc2.jpg

I'd consider that normal... Pretty sure this is the plug from my lt77 box, if not it's the transfer box one.

On 1/15/2014 at 9:28 PM, mat_the_cat said:

I've seen one J plater before in a scrapyard, but only that one.

I think it was more despite the car! And there have been spectacular failures too - back when I lived in Sheffield it was a sunny day just before the Easter weekend. I was just becoming mates with a girl who I rather liked, so I had the great idea of trying to impress her taking her to the seaside (Bridlington) in my car. Why I thought she would be impressed with a trip to a seedy seaside town in my Grandadmobile Stellar I'm now not so sure of, but at the time it made sense.

Anyway, it was such a lovely day that we were both wearing shorts. I had the foresight to bring a pair of trousers with me, which, as we decided to stay into the evening was a wise idea as the temperature dropped. Being the chivalrous kind of guy I am, when she got cold I donated my trousers to her - still hoping I would be able to get her out of them later.

In one of the pubs we met a huge guy and his girlfriend. We got chatting and it turned out he was a bouncer at the local club (Harbour Lights?) They suggested we came along, so later that evening we did. Bearing in mind this was a strictly shirt and shoes kind of place rather than T shirt and trainers, the fact that I was still in T shirt, trainers and shorts made me feel a little self conscious. Especially as I was sober so I could drive us back afterwards! We met up with our new 'friend' and fortunately he let us in, much to the surprise and displeasure of those that were being turned away because their shoes weren't shiny enough!

After a while she explained to me that she was actually gay, and not only that she fancied the girlfriend of the bouncer we met earlier. To make matters worse, this girl was also in the club and obviously of a similar persuasion as I caught them snogging passionately. It's not a turn on when she chooses the girl instead of you...

After a while they both disappeared but I stuck around in case they were still there. I needed to give her a lift back as I couldn't just abandon her! I saw the bouncer furiously looking for someone, so I kept a low profile (not easy being the only one in shorts!)

At the end of the evening it became clear that they had both left the building, at which point I became rather nervous that the bouncer would blame me for it and give me a beating. I managed to leave via a window in the Gents and got back to my car, where I spent the night in some woodland.

Not having a sleeping bag or indeed any warm clothes I did not sleep too well, so was listening to Radio 1 early on Good Friday morning. They asked people to phone in to say if they were having a good Friday or a bad Friday - I was having a very bad Friday, being over 100 miles from home, having slept in my shorts alone on the back seat of my car, after the girl I fancied turned out to be the other way inclined and had disappeared with another girl. Whilst she was wearing my bloody trousers!

Only just read this and its brilliant. If you do restore the car you may wish to keep a spare pair of trousers in the boot especially for days out to the seaside! 

Thanks for even considering it, but I doubt you'd be anywhere close to Blaenau Ffestiniog? The cost to send it back to me is £27.50 which seems a good price; I was expecting to pay a bit more given I don't have an account. But the cheapest one is well over double that. I'm not saying it's unrealistic, but it makes more sense for me to take it down myself on the 19th June, and just pay for the delivery back to me once it's done.

9 minutes ago, mat_the_cat said:

Thanks for even considering it, but I doubt you'd be anywhere close to Blaenau Ffestiniog? The cost to send it back to me is £27.50 which seems a good price; I was expecting to pay a bit more given I don't have an account. But the cheapest one is well over double that. I'm not saying it's unrealistic, but it makes more sense for me to take it down myself on the 19th June, and just pay for the delivery back to me once it's done.

No probs at all. NW Wales is an area I very rarely go to unfortunately, closest I get is the Airbus site at Broughton or Llandrindod Wells every so often. Luton I'll pass by on the M1 pretty much every week.

£27.50 seems a really good price to be fair, I thought it would be double that for a 2-3 day pallet network job.

Sods law I'll get something round your neck of the woods now I've said all this, I'll message you if I do - good luck getting the car fixed mate.

I thought the same, but weirdly they don't do collections unless they're dropping off one and picking up the exchange. I guess this is to use the same packaging, and will effectively mean that most journeys pay both ways. Just that mine is an oddball with them not having a core unit on the shelf to rebuild.

On 5/28/2023 at 10:30 PM, mat_the_cat said:

the rpm is still on the high side for motorway cruising at 3k rpm @ 70mph. This appears to be a van variant of the 'box, with very low ratios.

All my decisions on diff and gearbox ratios have been based on the rev counter reading. Which I recalibrated myself to change it from 2 sparks per revolution to 4...

It appears as though I miscalculated somewhere along the line :oops:

I've checked the gearbox ratios, and it's closer to 2k rpm @ 70mph, so no need to change anything! I have to say I was happy with the way it drove and it didn't feel stressed on the motorway, just that it seemed sensible to lower the cruising rpm. This would also explain why it seemed to keen to rev past 6k rpm!

• 4 weeks later...

Update on the gearbox - I dropped it off at Ashcroft for a rebuild, explaining what had happened. Straight away Dave Ashcroft spotted the likely oil leak - turns out there is a breather, that had been plugged with a plastic transit bung after the initial rebuild. With me not realising there needed to be a breather present, I just fitted it to the car. That explains why there were no drips any more, it was just being sprayed out whilst on the move.

Ah well, they're going to supply one anyway. Just feel like a bit of a numpty for not realising, although in my defence I've hopefully got wiser in the 21 intervening years since I put it in! And at least I should have some confidence that it won't leak afterwards, which will be a novelty.

The build video is quite interesting (to me at least) too.

Now just the question of whether I can get it back, and fitted in time for Shitefest!