Ebay shite accessories and giffer trinkets

Alexg

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies watch? Sod that, I'd wear it.

Quite a large face for a ladies watch I thought (or it's just my mother liking flippin' tiny watches that makes me think that). I'd probably wear it too, I like an unusual watch. I've got this Volkswagen Polo one that was from Volkswagen's launch of the facelifted 6n at the 1999 Frankfurt Motor Show. Pretty sure it was a freebie for people with a press pass, I've never seen another (and I have looked). Unfortunately the strap is made of two layers and the top leather layer has become detached slightly so I haven't worn it in ages.

37024981723_d646257035_z.jpg37024982153_f7faec8f90_z.jpg

37024981183_fdec675b6c_z.jpg37024979463_2b26ca4662_z.jpg

37024982753_125854669d_z.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliant but it doesn't look like it was actually produced. Google Books shows the original source for that piece as the October 1962 issue of Popular Science and companycheck.co.uk shows that Carquad Limited was incorporated in January 1970 and is dissolved. That is the total extent of information that I can find about it.

Somebody is making them for motorbikes. I viewed a house 4 years ago that had one on the side wall.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

2bd4e4d44cb9aee996503c63faf8fd15.jpg

"a test car passenger sitting closest to the Feu Orange felt very ill"

Feu Orange test car.

6594683f53de605d3ac64015c41c3044.jpg

"the Auto Defroster is also dangerous. The first sample used cleared only three screens before the blower came off the motor spindle, and the heater element then set light to the plastic case"

b7e564c112bb85cc159cbbf50b4a015c.jpg

A device to inflate tyres by using one of your engine's cylinders as an air pump.

"provided the engine is run at tick over speed very little petrol vapour enters the cylinder, so the air in the tyre is relatively clean"

How about illuminated tyres? Goodyear tried this in 1961. The tyres were lit from 18 lamps within the wheel rim. Various colours of tyre too.

A device to inflate tyres by using one of your engine's cylinders as an air pump.

"provided the engine is run at tick over speed very little petrol vapour enters the cylinder, so the air in the tyre is relatively clean"

Filling your tyre with a flammable/explosive petrol atmosphere is very much the DIY way of making an illuminated tyre. See also 'Catherine Wheel'.

"the Auto Defroster is also dangerous. The first sample used cleared only three screens before the blower came off the motor spindle, and the heater element then set light to the plastic case"

I forgot to quote it in my post, but it's worth noting that the second Auto Defroster they tried also set itself on fire. 

Other items they tested included an expensive compass which took a navigation officer 40 minutes to adjust to a reasonable accuracy, then another at one tenth the price which was almost as accurate right out of the box. Plus a device intended to prevent dazzle from oncoming headlights by projecting "wonder mauve light" onto your windscreen, which was determined to be useless. 

• 4 weeks later...

Have we had this yet? It really is magnificently half-arsed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-Maestro-Clocke-plate-with-a/302575843858

Item title:

I'm reposting this because I keep thinking about it, and the pictures need to be saved for posterity. 

post-17021-0-42326000-1516899132_thumb.jpg

post-17021-0-91024600-1516899143_thumb.jpg

I don't think there's another item in this thread with a higher shite density. 

• Amazing tonal mismatch between car and style of clock face
  • shit photo of car
  • ...printed on the curve of the plate so it's distorted 
  • ugly bend on second hand to clear curve
  • acres of blank space
  • clock mechanism mounted upside down so you can't even hang the plate
  • baffling title including a mis-spelling of the word "clock" to keep it out of search results
  • seller doesn't know if it works, because how could such an item ever be tested?
  • listed in Men's Accessories > Wallets