Ebay shite accessories and giffer trinkets

Alexg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got one of those cassettes in the xsara at the minute. Sound only comes from one side and sounds distorted. Bought one of those mp3 fm tuners, should be here today. Anything has to sound better than the cassette.

A bit late, but you have to buy the (quite expensive) Sony branded cassette adapter. Anything else is shite.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Car-Stereo-Cassette-Adaptor-for-all-iPod-MP3-CD-MD-Walkman-Players-/261893726621

• 1 month later...

Good.  Please let the rest of us know about it.

I see it's a light, and can see it clips on the side of the car somehow, but beyond that, I'm lost.

OK, I'm old enough to remember my aunt getting in a tizzy when dusk fell and she had to hang her parking lights on the window of her Regal van.

Up until the early 70's cars parked on the road had to show a light to the front and back, on the offside, after dusk. As was often the case amongst the parsimonious car makers this feature was not fitted as standard and there was a flourishing after sales market for parking lights.

I don't think it was coincidental that the law was dropped when reflective number plates were introduced. There also introduced (or at least started to enforce) the law that cars must be parked in the direction of travel so that the rear reflectors (and reflective number plate) could substitute for parking lights.

Incidentally, some modern cars are still fitted with them. Usually controlled by the indicator stalk the direction of which controls which pair of lights stay on.

Incidentally, some modern cars are still fitted with them. Usually controlled by the indicator stalk the direction of which controls which pair of lights stay on.

That is correct, I saw it once or twice and thought, 'the nearside bulbs must've blown and the fool has left the sidelamps on', but I've seen it a couple of other times so it has to be parking lights. I thought it a bit odd though in this day and age.

All VWs since the 80s, latest Vauxhalls don't do it though.

Ford Mondeo used to put both left and right sidelights and taillights on, but no other lights - dash, numberplate etc. Annoyingly this was easily achieved as I got out the car and nudged the headlamp switch with me knee, the battery would be fine but guaranteed the neighbour would knock on my door about midnight and helpfully tell me I'd left the lights on. Because no dash lights illuminated, there was no giveaway inside the car that you'd turned them on.

OK, I'm old enough to remember my aunt getting in a tizzy when dusk fell and she had to hang her parking lights on the window of her Regal van.

Up until the early 70's cars parked on the road had to show a light to the front and back, on the offside, after dusk. As was often the case amongst the parsimonious car makers this feature was not fitted as standard and there was a flourishing after sales market for parking lights.

I don't think it was coincidental that the law was dropped when reflective number plates were introduced. There also introduced (or at least started to enforce) the law that cars must be parked in the direction of travel so that the rear reflectors (and reflective number plate) could substitute for parking lights.

Ahh, thank you.

ISTR that the early Rover 2000 had this feature.

GR9 for flattening your car battery.

That's a nice bit of kit, by the way.

When did reflectors become compulsory on cars? Was it around the same time as reflective number plates?

I don't think so, cars from the mid fifties onwards seem to have reflectors at the rear as standard. but the fitting of reflectors is a rare example of a "retro" law involving most vehicles going back almost to the Horsely Horsey.

According to t'inernet the retro fitting of reflectors started in the fifties (when it became compulsory for new cars to have them), but other sources suggest it wasn't until 1989 when they had to be fitted retrospectively.