Choose German for quality*

overrun

I have been repairing my mates 2005 Golf with him today.

Small hole, best get that cut back to good steel.

20140108_132416_zps1318b19c.jpg

And another

20140108_133651_zps517827a6.jpg

Top class donor steel

20140108_134959_zpseb96add2.jpg

20140108_162221_zpsf75fc961.jpg

20140108_182040_zpsc594b4c9.jpg

happy_2016217c.jpg

My mate is going to finish the last bits at home. We had to buy a hobby gas bottle as I can't find my regulator and it ran out.

Ah, but is that warranty like the ones everybody used to offer back in the day? I seem to recall to keep the warranty up you had to have a main dealer service every nano second, by which time they could afford to replace rusty panels as they'd dry bummed you for the cost or parts and labour anyhow.

Another mates parents have a mk5 Golf that was rusting along the roofline. It appeared to be caused by the weather strip holding water when sitting against, with the door closed.

VW told them to GRTF.

My Mondeo is about 9.5 years old and the only rust it has to speak of is bubbling on the bottom of one rear door.

But Ford's are shit. :lol:

forget the rust, I like the idea of using old storage heaters as reapir panels.

peviously I have used the side of a fridge, along with the piece left over when your mate fits an after-market glass sunroof (remeber them?)

what else have you used for repair metal?

It's baffling. It seems to be caused by water getting under the stonechip. I would never expect anything like that.

My mate thought it had been bodged up, when I had the knot wheel on it. He assumed the white was body filler. This made him feel a bit better.

I had to break the news that it was infact the colour of the stonechip itself.

peviously I have used the side of a fridge, along with the piece left over when your mate fits an after-market glass sunroof (remeber them?)

Nice. That's my kinda recycling.

Not me, but jikovron once modified a sump, by using half of a hobby gas bottle.

It cleared our mates cross member a treat.

I used the side of a fridge to make an infill to weld into the number plate recess before filling to smooth a tailgate on a mk3 fiesta for a mate

The wifey's '06 alfa has a couple of scabby bits but no holes yet.

Will your mate be welding the gaps? Do sills have to be seam welded?

Liking the recycling of old steel. I've used a patio heater as a metal donor after it blew over a few times then fell to bits. I can get 3mm steel and upwards easily, but thinner stuff is harder to get hold of round here.

The wifey's '06 alfa has a couple of scabby bits but no holes yet.

Will your mate be welding the gaps? Do sills have to be seam welded?

Liking the recycling of old steel. I've used a patio heater as a metal donor after it blew over a few times then fell to bits. I can get 3mm steel and upwards easily, but thinner stuff is harder to get hold of round here.

He will be welding up the gaps. I don't think you are supposed to patch sills, anyway. Hence going for the invisible option.

A skim of filler and some new stonechip and it will be bang on.

I keep fasteners from nearly everything as well. Your patio heater reminds me, I have some strange coach bolt type things from the shade on one. They will never be any use. I need help.

Incidentally, that one kept blowing over and turned itself into scrap.

Shocker, I expected and dully found rot like that in my old crocks but if it was the 2002 modern I would be truly dismayed.

Tina got proper steel sheet (that somebody else had bought) from a metal shop because I love it, transit got shelf brackets for the chassis rails and washing machine for body panels because I love it in a different way.

Compacts+blog.JPG

We had a couple of them... nice thick steel, not too crappy quality. Paint on them was actually quite good, was some sort of enamel.. didn't even need painting over other than the bits that bubbled up and went brown along the edge of the arc weld.

The big old clear dish bit on the washing machine is currently doing good service, 35 years on, as a bowl to hold screws and other gubbins. The handle from the washing machine went all the way to the back to the multi-function switch, and had a big turned bit of steel on the end- just the right length to reach under the Sprite and wallop the SU fuel pump back into life

Try doing that with a new washing machine

--Phil

Body protection warranty:

All current Volkswagen vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against through corrosion for 12 years from the date of first registration.

The only preconditions are:

The defect must be reported to a member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network as soon as it is discovered and within the warranty period.

The perforation must not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insufficient care or maintenance or by external rusting.

Get out of jail free card -  "Against THROUGH corrosion".  VW quality.

Just about every car I have welded since 1993 has been repaired by using these from my time at AFG Nissan. Including VW's and Audi's. Made me chuckle to know that your smug German Panzerwagon contains a little bit of Bluebird.