Cavalier (Mk3) Attitude - MoT result

RobT

I'm trying hard not to buy any more shite, but post NY blues/boredom makes me want a mk3 Cav. I've never owned a Vauxhall and know little about them, but fancy a 2.0 8 valve in CD or GL spec. Not sure I could cope with the misery of a base model...Budget is minimal so probably can't stretch to an SRi.

Are they a decent drive in relation to Sierras and Montegos of similar vintage? After owning my Honda-engined R8 for 6 months and doing several long trips in it I've decided I prefer less rev happy engines for daily motoring, so if mk3 Cavaliers are similar I won't bother.

Feel free to lob up some pics of mk3s you own or have owned to get my Vauxhall juices flowing. Cheers!

They are gr9. I've had loads. 8 valve 2.0 engine is the one to go for - unburstable and great economy for a 2.0 car.

Spec wise the preface lift F to K reg GLi and CDi have thick padded push velour seats and are generally nice places to be, even better if you can find a Diplomat which had everything.

1.7TD with the Isuzu engine will do 50mpg all day and munch the veg.

There's very little not to like with these.... Which makes it even worse that the Vectra is so damn bad.

I do know that if you go off backwards into trees at near 100mph,the impact breaks the ratchets on the front seats and you end up staring up at the sunroof covered in glass from the back window.

The reason somebody somewhere bought an ex fleet demonstrator 8v SRi in 1989 that had been reshelled at 800 miles.

This is a 2.0 GL i had years ago

zzodiac123_zps22796754.png

Fast , economical , reliable 

The only thing i could snag it on was comfort  the seats were fine comfortable etc good visability nice dash but the steering column needed to be adjustable for reach as well as rake , im 6ft and need the seat all the way back but the steering wheel needed to be just that bit closer.

I would have another one tommorow  but it would have to be an early one 

I had a 2.0 L too  

C1908_zps93bf6a93.jpg

and for an L model wasnt too basic 

Wind up windows but i prefered that  as the GL  had elec windows and the switch was in a daft place behind the handbrake 

Both mine were Auto's  and because they were both 2.0i engine they had power steering  and normal brakes 

Best of the bunch is without doubt the 2.0 8V, ideally the 130 lump. As Britain's most boring Cavalier enthusiast I can repeat forever that they are actually the best 8V engine ever made. Plenty of poke/torque, bullet proof, take shit loads of neglect and still run perfectly and return pretty good MPG.

Nope, best spec/best to drive without doubt the SRi 8V. Put a K&N filter and PCS full exhaust system on it and drive round everywhere in 3rd gear, you'll never stop smiling.

I had a saloon gl spec, with the isuzu turbodiesel., even aged 10 the rear arches were frilly, and sans wheeltrims and with various bits of body damage everyone gave it a wide berth both on the road and in car parks.

K286NCM was a fantastic machine that simply refused to die

edit incorrect-

The vehicle details for K286 NCM are:

Date of Liability 01 01 2008

Date of First Registration 28 08 1992

Year of Manufacture 1992 Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1686cc

COâ‚‚ Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type HEAVY OIL

Export Marker N

Vehicle Status Unlicensed

Vehicle Colour BLUE Vehicle

Type Approval Not Available

Bloody great car though

Well that's my mind made up then after such glowing praise! Plenty of poke/torque plus economy is just what I'm after. Hopefully 500 will buy me a decent early one as I prefer the look of those over the post-92 motors.

Interesting what Stixy says about needing steering reach adjustment on them. The Sierra had it which was great, is a shame so few cars seem to have it as my stumpy arms never reach far enough.

Just done one of those dvla enquiries on my old 1.8 and it's still on the road but now sports* a 1389cc power plant! Unless my memory has completely gone and that's not the reg.

The enquiry is complete.

The vehicle details for N572 CHJ are:

Date of Liability 01 07 2014

Date of First Registration 16 10 1995

Year of Manufacture 1995

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1389cc

COâ‚‚ Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type PETROL

Export Marker N

Vehicle Status Licence Not Due

Vehicle Colour GREY

Vehicle Type Approval Not Available

Vehicle Excise Duty rate for vehicle

6 Months Rate £77.00

12 Months Rate £140.00

The dusty parts of my mind recall something about early 16valve heads being porous leading to water and oil mixing and there was something about the ecotec engines having a lot less power than the red tops.

I am sure someone will be able to clear this random recollection up, but as long as you stick to a 2.0 8v you should be fine...

I dont think the red top would go through emmisions regs. I had a astra 2.0 eco sport which i think was meant to be the successor to the gsi?? Not a bad engine in the astra. Had a l plate 2.0 cav ls 8v too. Seemed to have more poke lower down than the astra. L108 hnb was cavs reg. Think it has not been taxed since 2005

Ive had a 1.2 Nova Mk 1, 1.6 Astra auto mk2, a Carlton 2.2 Mk1 and a Carlton 2.0 mk2 and a Senator 2.5 mk2 and I would have all or any of them back today, Mate had a Vectra and had no end of problems so don't know what has happened at Vauxhall these days. Like the look of the modern Astra but feel the Adam is trying to copy Citroen too much. Go on and get a Cav you can't go wrong.

I did my Apprentiship with a Vauxhall dealer and a the 8 valve was the better engine,it was called a LET engine (low end torque) and was designed to create its maximum power lower down the rev range much like a diesel engine and so compared to a Sierra they were a smoother drive with much less rowing up and down the gearbox to maintain your speed.

I briefly had a new L plated Isuzu powered LS as a company car in a dark met green and that was excellent.

If i could find a low miled one today i would get it as an everyday car they were that good.