Claim's Cabbies Corner. UPDATE SOON

warren t claim

UPDATE. 

CRB check is complete and I should have my certificate on Wednesday. Back on the road with either the Focus dog van or a Xsara Picasso. If it's the latter I'll go on a gun rampage around the lake district. Apparently it's the law if you taxi a Picasso..

I make cars into private hire taxis for a living. I've plated cars for all over the place. There are some very strange rules when it comes to making a car into a private hire vehicle. Most councils have an age cutoff where a car can't be first licenced as a cab after 8 years or so. Others make older cars take the fitness test every three months instead of once a year for a newer car. One council changes the colour the private hire car has to be every three or four years. Another one insists on a full main agent service history for anything over three years old - and they pick holes in it if there's no receipt for a cambelt or whatever. Some councils don't even look at a car if it's less than a year old. It gets a plate anyway. Others do full on tests even if the car is straight off the transporter. 

My favourite daft rule is Bridgend. If a car is more than two weeks from first registration and / or has covered more than 500 miles from new it can never be licensed there. There's an exception for wheelchair accessible vehicles, but they're strict on it. Mental.

Derby seems to have a lot of the oldest private hire fleet. Liverpool has some weird and wonderful old stuff knocking about. There's a 91 H plate 318i knocking about, and until about eight years ago there was an S reg Vauxhall Victor still working. There was a Cortina Crusader in Wigan that was still plated not long ago, but it belonged to a cab company - it hadn't done a days work for many years. I'm pretty sure they just put it through the test every year for a giggle.

Great thread this. I remember the local firm to us when I was younger ran a fleet of 740 and 760 Volvos and I was always amazed at the mileage some of them had racked up, 200,000miles+ seemed incredible back then. Not too far from Heathrow so they would have done a lot of airport runs. I remember that frantic ticking noise you would get and flashing red symbol if you didn't put your seatbelt on straight away

I must admit I've always been a bit curious about how much money a cabbie takes home in the city. I see a lot of very new very expensive taxis - remembering a new Mondeo is £18k or summat - figure the cost on finance given that it'll have a gazillion miles in five years time so resale value will be low end - and wonder how worthwhile it is. Does it have to follow that you use the car for private use too when you're not cabbing (to make financial sense), or do drivers have another car so they're not driving the family to Alton Towers in a taxi? How many hours does a cabbie work?

My other half's dad used to drive taxis when he was struggling for work as a Class 1 HGV. His firm had a Sapphire Cosworth, used around Sleaford. Can't think of a less appropriate car, really but at least it made the drivers work hard to be allowed to use it.

I must admit I've always been a bit curious about how much money a cabbie takes home in the city. I see a lot of very new very expensive taxis - remembering a new Mondeo is £18k or summat - figure the cost on finance given that it'll have a gazillion miles in five years time so resale value will be low end - and wonder how worthwhile it is. Does it have to follow that you use the car for private use too when you're not cabbing (to make financial sense), or do drivers have another car so they're not driving the family to Alton Towers in a taxi? How many hours does a cabbie work?

My other half's dad used to drive taxis when he was struggling for work as a Class 1 HGV. His firm had a Sapphire Cosworth, used around Sleaford. Can't think of a less appropriate car, really but at least it made the drivers work hard to be allowed to use it.

My old man and most of his mates/fellow drivers round here use their taxis as private cars too, I doubt any of them could afford to run 2 cars and those who could are probably too stingy.

There's not much money in taxis now, too many cars now, the recession fucked it up in 2 ways 1. Folk had hardly any money so stopped getting taxis, 2. Loads of folk got made redundant and thought taxi-ing was good easy money and decided to get their nice big Mondeos/Avensis' working for them, the firms aren't going to complain if more drivers join as that's more £100+ in radio dues for each driver per week. The market is saturated with too many cars so folk are sittin around for hours waiting on shifty hires. From 2005 to 2008 my old man could earn £600 on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday and take the rest of the week off if he wanted, now he could work 7days and struggle to make that.

He nor most of the other drivers round here would buy a brand new car, doesn't make sense. £9/£10K would be most they'd pay, the rest rent brand new Octavias/Toledos from the Taxi Centre, not many as they don't see the point renting.

1 thing I do know is no taxi driver earns as little as the HMRC/inland revenue thinks he does.

I know this is a petrol but I'm thinking it might tick a lot the right boxes. Does anyone have any experience of owning one of these and what should I look for?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/07-reg-mondeo-lx-jet-black-immaculate-only-1499/1047227151#photo-content

post-3910-0-35956300-1391473321_thumb.jpg

Rear axle bushes. Estates have a different setup but the salons and hatches both knock the ale bushes out with monotonous regularity when used as cabs.

Also check the headlights work. There's a shit connection on the fuse box (C33) that stops dipped beam from working.

1.8 petrol is not exactly wonderful on fuel. Mid 20s shuffling around town. Up to 40 on a run. Also beware - some petrol ones have DMF. 2.0 doesn't use noticeably more fuel. Autos use more fuel than a moon launch. Front wheel bearings are an arsehole to replace and expensive - I think I paid £48 for the bearing alone on the one I had. Engines will go forever provided they've never been run low on oil, one that's been run low will get through oil at a startling rate. Clutches are a dog of a job but tend to last 100k on most of the cab ones I've known. Belt needs doing between 80-100k. Front coil springs snap - you'll know about that as it'll be sticking through the tyre by the time you find out.

Other than the stupid headlight connection they seem to be pretty reliable electrically. Mechanically it's just normal service jobs. Bearings bushes and the occasional clutch.

They don't seem to rot much and the trim is hard wearing. Carpets don't last forever in cabs but most drivers seem to use pasty crumbs as floor mats.

2003 on LX jobs have aircon and cruise, both tend to work in most of them.

It's not different from replacing a normal clutch and flywheel. Gearbox off, replace.

Problem with the Mondeo is that getting the box in and out is a bit of a palaver.

What tends to happen is the DMF begins to fail, little metal filings get into the starter and the starter needs replacing ad well. Starts to get a bit expensive. It's what kills more Mk3 Mondeos than anything else.

Go to any scrapyard and you'll see a few immaculate looking Mk3 Mondeos. When the car is worth £600 and that's how much the owner gets quoted for a clutch there's only one thing that's gonna happen.

Update time. My local authority has finally moved into the 21st century and realized that maybe a car isn't totally fucked when it hits eight years of age as is sick of issuing discretionary six monthly extensions after eight years. Now we can plate a car until it's tenth birthday I've got a bit more choice on what to buy and I've got a couple of favorites. I require your bigoted opinions on running either a Jag X Type 2.0 dizzler or a Project Drive 75 Rover with the BMW lump. I'd prefer a manual version unless I'm advised otherwise. Your thoughts please!

Update time. My local authority has finally moved into the 21st century and realized that maybe a car isn't totally fucked when it hits eight years of age as is sick of issuing discretionary six monthly extensions after eight years. Now we can plate a car until it's tenth birthday I've got a bit more choice on what to buy and I've got a couple of favorites. I require your bigoted opinions on running either a Jag X Type 2.0 dizzler or a Project Drive 75 Rover with the BMW lump. I'd prefer a manual version unless I'm advised otherwise. Your thoughts please!

I assume you`ve already joined, but if not, it`s free. At least it`s free to see the cars for sale.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=index

Cracking subject this.

My taxi stint was in the late 70's and early 80's, using Land Crab and then a Princess, i did sat and sun nights to boost me money up when i had little kids.

They made great cabs, the older clients loved 'em, so many times i heard the mutterings of thank God its a Princess as they stepped aboard the Tardis like back end, made serious tips too, never ever beeped the horn , always knocked on the door, carried the ladies bags, and opened the doors for them.

That company is still operating and they still do it exactly as they did back then, my DiL uses them for her many airport runs, the driver knocks on her door at whatever unearthly hour, carries her bags and opens the door for her, only company driven chauffer style so she just goes to sleep during the journey.

One memorable night thought i was gunna get me lights punched out, last pick up around 2am from a mature party, woman in the house took a serious shine to me, 40's dressed to please all the kit, phwoar, invited me in for coffee as the party was finishing she's kissing and canoodling me....you ever get the feeling you're being watched?...yes, fuggin great brick shite house of a geezer the other side of the room glaring at me with that unblinking stare of hatred which is only going to end up with me hospitalised, friggin husband...i pissed off sharpish, good tip though.

• 3 years later...

THREAD FROM THE DEAD

I'm not sure if this'll interest any of you but the national taxi trade magazine has at long last produced a list of vehicle age requirements for all local councils. 

http://www.phtm.co.uk/vehicle-age-and-regulation-survey&filter=A

So if you fancy trying your hand at minicabbing in a 1979 Granada 2.1 diesel in taxi trim you can see where you can get it plated.

Can anyone remember that BBC comedy drama which I think was called 'Roger Roger' ? Written by John Sullivan, Neil Morrissey was in it. One of the taxi drivers had a ropey looking brown Cortina 80 as his taxi and was lambasted by the boss about it in the first episode, suggesting that he gets a newer car. :lol:

^ Rotherham's criteria seem stricter than my home city of Norwich: 15 years 'age when it can no longer be licenced'    N/A  :? So one could use a Granada 2.1d?! Wow! 8)  8) Or how about a Peugeot 404 diesel?! :mrgreen: Well, we are a bit agricultural in Norfolk.

I recall seeing an N reg Rover 600 series maybe 10 or 12 years ago when most other taxis were much newer. I remember in the early 1990s someone was using a bloody Lada saloon (X reg - the classic one before the Riva!) which looked odd. I think minicabbers could use the black cab ranks back then because that's where I recall seeing it.

The most impressive taxi I was a passenger in was a BMW 5-series.(the slippery looking Mid 1990s to early 2000s shape one...whatever E number it is :mrgreen: ). Leather seats and a silky smooth ride. From what I could remember after consuming a few pints that night.

Another one I remember from around 5 years ago was an older style Kia Magentis! I asked the driver about his choice as I knew that model didn't come with a diesel engine and surely they made more economic sense than petrol. He hated diesels and liked the Kia's 'low tech-ness'. He wanted a Mazda but found it was a bit too high tech. I guess he did his own servicing and maintenance. I wonder what he's perhaps driving now? Maybe one of the Skoda Rapid 1.2s or a Prius.

Edited: got the info a bit wrong on warren's link.

Ashfield used to have all sorts of chod but now I see it's max age at first plate, 2 years. Wow. Basically telling cabbies they've got to head off to a car supermarket and put down a shitload of finance? What's the benefit, how would a 2 year old car be better than a 3 or 4?