1970's and 80's Dublin

ed5000

Guest Breadvan72

Back in the day, every fecker in Dublin and the Pale drove a heap of shit.  One day, the Government got some cash from the EU and everyone scrapped the shitbox and got a free Toyota, except for the farmers, who all got a free fuck off big Mercedes. 

Now the shitboxes are making a comeback.

Old gag:

You are driving around Dublin with your cousin Seamus.  Every time there is a red light he just carries on regardless.  You object, but he says "Oh that?  Murphy does it all the time."

Then he gets to a green light and slams on the brakes.  You say WTF, the light is green, and Seamus says "Yeah, but Murphy might be coming the other way."

Copyright Brian Boru 1014 AD.

Guest Breadvan72

It happened during the Celtic Tiger era, to increase road safety, reduce pollution, and provide some dodgy State Aid for Toyota dealers!

Before the scheme, Dublin was Chod Central.  Then the World drowned in a sea of Corollas.

I used to live in Dublin from 1998 to 2000 and at the time, the celtic tiger was already past its full swing. However, I was not aware of a scrappage scheme. People just bought new cars by the casepack and put the nice old chod that used to litter Dublin's streets up for sale in the local rags for stupid money, effectively making these two odd pre-NCT years heaven for an old shiter like me.

In no particular order I had a Granada MKII Ghia, a Zodiac MKIV hearse, several Granada hearses, a Toyota Carina II, a Sierra Sapphire 1.6, two Renault 4s, one of them an F6 van, a Toyota Crown Royal Saloon 2.0 supercharged, a 1964 Ford Country Squire and a 1966 Imperial LeBaron. Not bad, huh?

Cruising the Zodiac hearse decorated with pumpkins and lights up and down O'Connell Street on Halloween attracted the attention of the An Garda Siochana, believe it, or not.

Would you like me to continue with a list of cars I didn't buy in those two-and-a-half years?

My cousin tells me that the last Hillman Hunters in the history of EVAH were thrown together by some feckless characters in a shed in Dublin.

True.

The Hunter was made in the Chrysler factory in Santry until 1979.

Interesting fact - The factory is now Santry Garda station, most of it still exists and the production hall was/is used as a firing range.

True.

The Hunter was made in the Chrysler factory in Santry until 1979.

Interesting fact - The factory is now Santry Garda station, most of it still exists and the production hall was/is used as a firing range.

Frantically googles for picture showing half of TooSavvy's face in front of Santry cop shop.

its a GL too,as unlike the uk they could get rhd ones above base/L trim. this is how Crayford got the bigger eng/trim cars to make into convertables.

Could it be that they were in reality Cortina-badged RHD Taunuses (Tauni?). The Taunus was available as a 2-dr in all trim levels save the Ghia.

Hello, I haven't posted on here in a few years so I think this is as good a place as any to get stuck in again as I live in Dublin. I also lived beside the Buckleys/Chrysler/Talbot car factory in my younger years. Here's a pic of how it looks today. Hasn't really changed much in appearance. It closed around '82. Just around the corner from there was McCairns Motors, where Vauxhalls and Bedfords were assembled  up to roughly the same time. I think they may have also assembled Chevy's and Simcas there too at one time. There's a shopping centre built on that site now but I came across some great pics of the place from when it was built. I'll have a look for them later if anyone's interested?

post-5295-0-73120700-1389093904_thumb.jpg

post-5295-0-37714300-1389093941_thumb.jpg

post-5295-0-13066400-1389093951_thumb.jpg