40+ tonnes of Boatshite - engineshite update 9/5/20

coalnotdole

Well I'm astounded at the interest in her to be honest, And the fact some of you like the Boat as well is great....

Joe was correct, this is amazing.  Are the bars going back on the windows?

Yes, I need to make some more though as the PO had removed the ones from the forward accommodation as they made it "feel like a prison" They may all get replaced with stainless if i can find a source of cheap 12mm bar.

Got any vid of the engine?

Nope  :-(  When Its running i tend to be jumping up and down in the wheelhouse trying not to crash into things!

That's great! Does it work? Could you drive it to France or New York or something?

Its fully functioning, I have 200 Gallons of Diesel on board - Thats enough for 40hours running at full revs  :shock:

I'll wang some more photos up later. (of the boat)

Run on veg?

Just pop into Morrisons and order 1000 bottles of veg. Apart from the logistics, being at the deep end of the beech is not a good place to be cutting corners on fuel. If you have to get rescued they have the right to claim the value of the vessel, or even more if you mess up the docking schedules on a supertanker or something.

I think this is a brilliant thread and I am very jealous. Mrs DSdriver was most adamant that we were going to live in something built of bricks otherwise I might have been suckered into buying some old Thames barge or similar that might be, oh, worth quite a lot of money now. Keep up the good work, I think you have improved the looks immensely by changing the wheelhouse and I love the old Sailor VHF radio. Have you opened it up and moved the little tuning pegs around so you can get channel zero? Who was she built by, do you know?

That's ace. :)
I'm not much of a sailor but I do love a bit of old boatshite. I think like most of us I just like seeing slightly mangy old mechanical artefacts, and if it's something that can move you about the place so much the better.

I sometimes pop along the local harbour at Bowling and see if there's anything interesting down there.

It's brilliant, very impressed.

This will surely run (legally) on cheery though won't it, so I'm assuming (relatively) cheap fuel?

Red Diesel used for propulsion of private pleasure craft is liable to full duty & vat thanks to the EU so should be the same price as at a garage.

As I'm over 30tonnes and designed as a commercial vessel its a bit of a grey area - I can purchase diesel with no duty or vat if I claim i'm a commercial towage operator. Its still almost 90p a litre though.

That's superb. I CAN HAZ A JEALOUS.

I can well imagine that it can require deep pockets though, marine shite seems to go into a whole new level of expensive from what I've seen.

What's the plan once it's done? Off to sea?

There is no plan! Basically its a case of rebuilding it to original condition and spec but with a few improvements in the accommodation areas, I've also added bollards to the deck just outside the wheelhouse so its possible for one person to bring her alongside and tie up without the original crew of three plus engineer!. 

Depending on the commercial insurance costs when its finished I might be tempted to try and get some towage work.

Every 17 year old should have one of these.

I see an autoshite trip to the Monaco Grand Prix in the offing. We'll park this on the T jetty beside abramovich and co, get the deck chairs out and watch the race with a tin of Tennents: Awesome.

I'm 25 years old now, Reckon I'll have it finished for my 30th.

*inserts gag about scuttle and poop deck*

Colour me impressed.

Run on veg?

Its got a hydraulic governer which needs gasoil within a certain Specific Gravity range or it gets unhappy. injection pumps a bit bigger and more expensive than an Astra one...

Just pop into Morrisons and order 1000 bottles of veg. Apart from the logistics, being at the deep end of the beech is not a good place to be cutting corners on fuel. If you have to get rescued they have the right to claim the value of the vessel, or even more if you mess up the docking schedules on a supertanker or something.

I think this is a brilliant thread and I am very jealous. Mrs DSdriver was most adamant that we were going to live in something built of bricks otherwise I might have been suckered into buying some old Thames barge or similar that might be, oh, worth quite a lot of money now. Keep up the good work, I think you have improved the looks immensely by changing the wheelhouse and I love the old Sailor VHF radio. Have you opened it up and moved the little tuning pegs around so you can get channel zero? Who was she built by, do you know?

Don't think either of the Sailor sets in the wheelhouse at the moment have channel 0 (emergancy services) "programmed" in - I've sold loads of RT144's though and usually stick channel 0 on as it makes them worth an extra £50!.

She was built by Dorset Lake Shipyard in Hamworthy (poole), Launched in 1966 she's one of the last wooden harbour launches built for the navy. The steel superstructure is all riveted though despite the year!. She was one of the last working HSL's and the final one in the country to be sold off in 1997.

Seen here just before decommissioning, She'd been converted to a water cooled exhaust coming out the side as they had been using her for towing ammunition barges:

158.jpg

There's got to be ways of recouping your fuel costs doing baccy and drug runs over to Holland?

She's not really built for speed - More for pulling stuff along!  Her top speeds around 10knots (approx 11mph)

So those 200 gallons of derv would get you about 440 miles then. New York and back is going to be fugging expensive...

Be cheaper to buy a long rope, and simply pull New York toward the Boat. She's not built for speed. She's built for pulling. Birds. And citys.