ZOMG 1982 Astra lepton POWAH

Guest Breadvan72

Guest Breadvan72
Out in my 1981 Lancia Beta yesterday I saw a lovely Scimitar, a decent XJS, and a dirty Stag. I was also totally blown off on the A1(M) by a 1993 Citroen BX Turbo. No surprise there, but on the way back I was unable to catch a 1982 Astra  It was this one or one just like it. 'kinnel.

fs_pict0043.jpg

Those old ohc's go very well unless it was a red top sleeper.

They may go very well, but a 2l Lancia twin in a car made of tinfoil should easily be able to keep up with a std one.

I reckon it was probably a red top or whatever Vauxhallists do to them.

Guest Breadvan72

The car is going v zoomy at the moment, and may perhaps even have indicated 100 mph at some point yesterday, but I couldn't possibly comment on that.   

I had a very similar experience in my first Granada many years ago.  3.0 Essex made to look very stupid indeed on the M53 by a pale green mk1 Astra.  Perhaps they really are the best-kept performance secret?

Or, I'm a crap driver/my Granada was crap.*

*It was, totally.

I had one many moons ago which was a real peach with a 1.3 litre ohc and must say it was a very nippy car..

There is one long hill on the A21 where most cars back then had to change down due to loss of power getting over the top but not the little ohc Astra it was the only car I had that would accelerate over the top.

Also the handling was superb and the steering spot on.

The weird thing was I replaced it with an xr3 which never felt as good to drive or as quick.

I also had a mk1 Astra GTE on a B plate although quick off the line never felt as nice to drive as the little base 1.3 on skinning tyres or as revvy.

Plus everyone knows that a mk1 Astra van with the same little ohc is the fastest thing on the planet.

How did Vauxhall get it so wrong when back in the 80s and early 90s Vauxhall gave us some brilliant cars.. So much better all rounders than the equivalent fords at the time..