Skizzer's SD1: Tomorrow's Car, Yesterday. Fixerations, with mixed results

Skizzer

looking through other threads, the rear seat back hinges can be seen either side on the rear wheelarch

check out this pic from RR http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/201402/kelvinators-sd1-vitesse

this link goes direct to a thread with loads of pics of the boot lock and mechanism

DSC01488.jpg

how about undoing the hinge and pivoting the seat back upwards on the locked top pins? might give you enough room to see what is going on with the lock

Looking at that pic, (what appears to be) the seat back locking pin is also visible - could it not simply be pushed in with a screwdriver, or am I missing something obvious?

I wouldn't worry too much about the rear hatch as the weather's been so cold the body shouldn't start to decompose and really stink until late January.  Just don't park it in the sun.

My dad used to run around with quick lime a bag of builders sand in the boot, he reckoned it quieted down the back end.  Ours used to not catch shut properly and led to me being stopped by plod once.  Funny how an innocent spade and bag of builders can look to a suspicious mind.

Did Chris Goffey complain about the high boot lip for loading shopping?

You could put the access-hatch on a hinge in preparation for the next time the bootlid says no.

Or do without the boot latch altogether and just bungee the tailgate to the gearstick, maybe.

I’ll see next week whether I can get to the seat hinges. All those photos are of series 2s; the seats are similar but not identical.

• 2 weeks later...

looking through other threads, the rear seat back hinges can be seen either side on the rear wheelarch

check out this pic from RR http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/201402/kelvinators-sd1-vitesse

this link goes direct to a thread with loads of pics of the boot lock and mechanism

DSC01488.jpg

how about undoing the hinge and pivoting the seat back upwards on the locked top pins? might give you enough room to see what is going on with the lock

Some progress this morning. I wrestled the seat base out, which exposes the screws holding in the side wings, which then lift up to allow access to the hinge bolts at the bottom of the seat back:

post-4091-0-60628500-1514891278_thumb.jpg

These are T40 torx bolts (how very Car of Tomorrow!) which responded well to a big ratchet driver once I managed to manoeuvre one in there past the seat wing and hinge hardware.

Then the whole seat back just pivots upwards on the latches... in my dreams, that is. In reality it lifts about an inch.

If I can wrestle out the side wings fully then I should be able to get at the latch bolts at the top. The trick will be doing that without breaking the seat wing retaining clips.

I ran out of time this trip but will have a fresh go later/tomorrow. Onwards and upwards.

I must say, the more I work on the SD1 the more I think it is a thoroughly well designed car, contrary to what everyone in the pub will tell you. If only they'd built the bodies out of better quality steel, and perhaps paid better attention when nailing them together.

Have a moody photo to compensate for lack of real progress.

post-4091-0-40128000-1514891262_thumb.jpg

Note: the apparent puddle on the right is NOT from something leaking out of the Rover.

I had the same thing happen on my blue one. I've just looked through all my photos but I can't see any... I definitely took some so I'll keep looking. I think I lifted the parcel shelf from the front edge so I could get to the folding lever for the rear seat. then climbed into the boot to unscrew the catch... I think... maybe. Are the S1 parcel shelves in two parts? On mine about a foot of it stays still while the rest levers up with the hatch. It was the first (static) section that I could move.

do you need a book ?

attachicon.gifCopy of post-17.jpg

Got that one, thanks! Very decent of you to offer though. Mine has a brown cover for some reason, possibly a later edition.

Sadly it, like the HBOL, doesn't admit the possibility of having to remove the back seat without the benefit of access from the boot. "First release the rear seat backrest catch... [etc]."

I had the same thing happen on my blue one. I've just looked through all my photos but I can't see any... I definitely took some so I'll keep looking. I think I lifted the parcel shelf from the front edge so I could get to the folding lever for the rear seat. then climbed into the boot to unscrew the catch... I think... maybe. Are the S1 parcel shelves in two parts? On mine about a foot of it stays still while the rest levers up with the hatch. It was the first (static) section that I could move.

The parcel shelf is in two parts, but they are joined by metal hinges at either side which you can only get at with, you guessed it, the tailgate open. The trailing edge of the parcel shelf is trapped beneath the tailgate and the leading edge by the seat back - I'm buggered if I can get even my bony fingers in any of the gaps.

I think the seat wings will yield to further cajoling and reveal the seat latches. At least, that's plan A.

Found the pics, sadly not a lot to see. I packed out the catch with weld as it wasn't hitting the striker. I'm still not certain how I got in, it's possible it just worked once as I remember it did work occasionally.

Mm, that's helpful, thanks. Actually I might order a new catch from Rimmers - chances are I'll need one anyway, and at least I'll be able to work out what's happening. When I get there.

As an aside, I bought some replacement glovebox catches from them a while back, as one of the originals (?) had snapped. They aren't even close to lining up with the strikers though. QUALITY.

^ In my experience SD1s draw a fair amount of sweat and tears but little actual blood. (I've jinxed it now though.)

Meanwhile I see central locking tailgate locks are now unavailable at Rimmers. Everything else for the SD1 appears to be in a clearance sale, which is a touch concerning if it means what parts support remains for these is about to end.

^ In my experience SD1s draw a fair amount of sweat and tears but little actual blood. (I've jinxed it now though.)

Meanwhile I see central locking tailgate locks are now unavailable at Rimmers. Everything else for the SD1 appears to be in a clearance sale, which is a touch concerning if it means what parts support remains for these is about to end.

Time for a second one then.........for spares,obviously

The SD1 is becoming difficult to get stuff for these days.  Trim has always been rare but the the sheet metal is becoming increasingly dodgy as time passes.  A mate just bought basically the entire front end from Rimmers for about £300 so I expect most of that is thinning out.  Rear quarters have already run out even if the website says they have them.  Series 1 tailgates don't exist either.  Most 'new' SD1 metalwork is left over from the failed Indian production.  Its not E coated and much of it looks quite scabby when it turns up.  

Wont be long before panels have to be bought from ebay at crazy prices.  Going rate for a pair of good Mk1 Granada wings is now £1500.

Here are some pics of my S2, which all jokes aside does have a massive hole in the wheel arch so you can see where the bolts for the catch go.

I've used the attach feature so I'm not sure what order they'll come out in. The catches at the top of the seat back are fixed with two countersunk machine screws but they're not really accessible until the seat back is down. The screws go through the panel and into a 5mm plate behind, you can kind of see it in the pics but tbh it's not much use to you either. I'd guess your best be is to take out the hinge bolts at the bottom and see what state that leaves you in.

post-19382-0-23030600-1514926180_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-41458700-1514926441_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-43389600-1514926834_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-82641300-1514926881_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-89575900-1514927064_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-03743200-1514927205_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-75143700-1514927299_thumb.jpg

post-19382-0-04984600-1514927483_thumb.jpg

....Most 'new' SD1 metalwork is left over from the failed Indian production.  Its not E coated and much of it looks quite scabby when it turns up.  

Wont be long before panels have to be bought from ebay at crazy prices.  ....

Once the tooling's been scrapped / destroyed, that's all folks!

Have you pushed down hard on the lid while turning the key in the lock ? I seem to remember turn the key also pulls the latch. Could be wrong though it’s beem a wee while since I sold mine

This rings a bell actually (mine is cort16's old one). Turning the key left and right while operating the handle. More of a quick, flicking turn of the key... or am I getting confused with the Scimitar door lock??

Either way, have a piece of carpet or a jacket or something to cover the catch with in case you do open it, you don't want it to fall shut and lock again.