Renault 9 collection mission (2007!)

Spottedlaurel

I'm sure the geezer from the SC100 club has an old Fronte. I'm sure i remember reading about it, he could not stop it from seizing its engine every few hundred yards. Looked spectaculary cool though.

yeah, that's Tim. He has an early Guigaro styled Fronte with an air cooled triple and a really rough early one like Michiel's pic. I've dug out some pics...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Seth, I did also wonder about some kind of camping thing with the family – we successfully braved the tent this year, so we’d definitely give it a go again next year. Knowing that there wouldn’t just be a dozen blokes talking about Talbot Solaras would help my case…

Tell you what, how about the weekend in August that coincides with the BMC/BL show in Ferry Meadows, Peterborough on the Sunday. Now that would be a shite filled weekend!

Great pics there...cheers.

Shall we chip in for a new tarp for them??

Posted Image

I've got very vague memories of seeing Reliant Ants crawling all over Hitchin when I was knee high to a grasshopper. I'm sure they had grey back boxes & red cabs - could councils have used them? For some reason I picture that they were loaded with laundry or clothes sacks. Could just be fuzzy childhood memories with no basis other than their existence though! :oops:

• 2 weeks later...

A reminder of how we used to do collection missions. This one had followed on from Baz 'accidentally' winning the R9:

It was a great day out, I remember it fondly. My Accord did a great job getting there and back and the R9 was a tidy car that happily made it back.

I haven't seen or heard from Baz for a few years now, I hope he's still well.

My Accord went to Mash in early 2008, then got sold on again and ran on a different plate after the original registration was sold on. I believe the car itself ended up in the USA?! It was a nice old thing that I'd bought for £150 just a couple of miles from my house, having sold my 3dr version just a few days beforehand.

Looks like the 9 got scrapped, with its last MoT expiring in 2009.

I don't think we did a thread for this one, but the Accord/Renault collection mission was a version of something we'd done earlier in the year, when we went down to near Heathrow to pick up an 11:

image.jpeg.4d52bbdc8a7ce882e562e82ffd06bf18.jpeg

image.jpeg.ba29a9dba714644d8fa8e6971196805f.jpeg

image.jpeg.213413e061a603b6f0ce9ebe0212c4fd.jpeg

Looks like the 11 didn't make it beyond the end of 2008. The Accord got sold to a Polish lad who used it for a while, then I think it sat on a farm and there's nothing since its last MoT expired in 2008.

Going back another step, Wuvvum  helped me pick up that one on a January weekday night from an old boy in Crawley.

I think discussion about the Bubblecar Museum led us to having a get-together there the following year. An early Shitefest I suppose.

5 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I don't think we did a thread for this one, but the Accord/Renault collection mission was a version of something we'd done earlier in the year, when we went down to near Heathrow to pick up an 11:

Looks like the 11 didn't make it beyond the end of 2008. The Accord got sold to a Polish lad who used it for a while, then I think it sat on a farm and there's nothing since its last MoT expired in 2008.

Going back another step, Wuvvum  helped me pick up that one on a January weekday night from an old boy in Crawley.

And completing the circle, Baz gave me a lift in that 11 to pick up the Rayton Fissore Magnum when I unexpectedly won that on eBay.

6 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

A reminder of how we used to do collection missions. This one had followed on from Baz 'accidentally' winning the R9:

It was a great day out, I remember it fondly. My Accord did a great job getting there and back and the R9 was a tidy car that happily made it back.

I haven't seen or heard from Baz for a few years now, I hope he's still well.

My Accord went to Mash in early 2008, then got sold on again and ran on a different plate after the original registration was sold on. I believe the car itself ended up in the USA?! It was a nice old thing that I'd bought for £150 just a couple of miles from my house, having sold my 3dr version just a few days beforehand.

Looks like the 9 got scrapped, with its last MoT expiring in 2009.

I think discussion about the Bubblecar Museum led us to having a get-together there the following year. An early Shitefest I suppose.

I agree totally with you about how collection missions 'used to be' and what an enjoyable re-read after all these years.

More entertaining than wading through fifteen photos of cups of coffee and bacon sandwiches certainly.

• 1 month later...

Certainly a pandemic makes them more interesting if not readable. I can’t say I’ve taken a photo of coffee but I have described my bowel movements. In the current atmosphere I’d like to unreservedly apologise for these past actions/ movements.