Mini Maidstone Meet

vulgalour

Suppose I ought to make some attempt to plan this.  Looking at coming down in what little is left of November or very early December.  I have no date secured at the present time but I'd like to try and pick a date that's suitable for the maximum number of people to attend.

My primary reason for travelling so far into The South is to deliver (Surrey) and collect (Maidstone) Princess parts in a Princess, organising some sort of impromptu meet at the same time is merely a happy coincidence.  I may also be able to help ferry items for any shiters that might be on route though I am only one man used to driving 150-200 miles a week so this 500ish mile round trip in a day is going to be not my usual thing.

Right... what else do people need to know?  I probably can't be there earlier than noon because I don't drive fast and The South is bloody miles away from Derbyshire.  Don't worry, I have AA cover.

ETA:  Noon-ish, probably.  Certainly no earlier.

Maidstone to Staveley - approx. 3 hours

Maidstone to Staveley via Stockport - approx. 5 hours

I think our versions of 'on my way back' differ slightly.  If I planned to get the seats (on the assumption I win them) that Junkman and yourself offered to help with collection of I doubt even I could get a full set of seats, 5 bumpers and 3 bootlids in/on the Princess even if I was travelling solo.  I would be happy* to travel to Stockport anyway, but maybe on a different day.  

I'd be in Maidstone no earlier than noon I think, I doubt I'd be able to rouse my corpse any earlier in the day to get there sooner than that.

*not happy about going to Stockport, more the fact it has at least one decent person living there with a penchant for interesting motorised carriages.

'

500ish mile round trip in a day

Respect due!

But really... are you going to have time to do more than a 3 point turn at Maidstone? A drop off in Surrey takes you the long way around the M25. What and where is your Surrey drop? I'm close to J6 M25 on Surrey/Kent borders so if I can help as a collection depot or whatever to make your day easier let me know.

Cheers,

Richard

Surrey delivery is a dash binnacle complete with clocks and switches, a tool compartment cover board and a pair of wiper arms.  There might be a pair of horns too.  If it weren't for the guy's daily Princess - amazingly, I'm not the only nutjob - being recalcitrant lately he'd've collected on his way back from the NEC, but it's not exactly a bike friendly collection of parts.

I reckon I can get an hour or two in at Maidstone, I've got headlights so I can drive in the dark.

My suspension gets sorted on Friday, so it'll be after that.  I should have cash for Road Tax so I shouldn't be restricted by the end of November as the deadline.  We could just all rock up to Alexg's house/place of work and he could provide us with tea and scones.  Might have to ask Alexg about that first, mind.

I do want to be doing this before tinsel season is in full swing.

If I'm to hazard a date selection, I'd say no earlier than Monday the 25th of November and no later than Monday the 16th of December.  I have no idea on location, but I'm thinking somewhere with warm and brew potential is best.

South Mimms is surprisingly convenient for me on this run, especially since I prefer A1M to M1 even with the small amount of extra time and distance involved, just feels like a less hectic road to be on.

Presently I'm looking at running from Staveley, A1M, South Mimms and then the M25 anticlockwise to Surrey and then on to Oakdene.  I'll either reverse that to run back as I may be picking up a passenger in Surrey (waiting for confirmation on that) or I'll just rejoin M25 after the Oakdene stop and carry on anticlockwise until I find South Mimms and head North again.

Dad has advised me on what this phenomena is as he used to encounter it when driving lorries.  It can be avoided rather easily by just returning back the way I came where the only issue is likely to be Heathrow, where people seem to leave sense of all reason when it comes to taking exits as I experienced in the BX.