Electric handbrakes

Timewaster

This sort of feature never bodes well toward the end of a cars life cycle. Usually when we start to get interested in them. What's the next simply engineered ( And simply repaired) release mechanism to be binned?. I'm waiting for an electronic bonnet release. Then we really are in trouble.

A lot of new cars (especially the volvos tiff :) ) have airbags that pop the bonnet up if you bump into anything for pedestrian safety. When the GT-R first came out it was hypersensitive so nudging a wall would set it off. It was supposed to be 11 grand to put right if it went off , which pushed the insurance sky high on them. I think Nissan eventually dialed back the sensitivity.

http://jalopnik.com/5405312/nissan-gt+r-hits-tow-hitch-causes-18000-repair-bill

A lot of new cars (especially the volvos tiff :) ) have airbags that pop the bonnet up if you bump into anything for pedestrian safety. When the GT-R first came out it was hypersensitive so nudging a wall would set it off. It was supposed to be 11 grand to put right if it went off , which pushed the insurance sky high on them. I think Nissan eventually dialed back the sensitivity.

My neighbour had the same thing with a Merc E class,she reckons the front wheel dropped into a pothole! Apparently Mercedes fell over themselves to get it recovered and fix it,telling her they'd never seen it happen before.

This would never have happened with the British Leyland system.post-17414-0-72104700-1384430248_thumb.jpg

Bollocks.

Fuel filter holds enough to drive short distance. Done loads of misfuels and not one has suffered any ills. VW/Audi included. Only one I can remember which was bolloxed was a Phateon where the guy tried to drive it underwater. They don't run on water.

No, you can pull the emergency release and run yourself over (wasn't me)

I brimmed my C4 with a full tank of unleaded once. Turned the air around Altrincham blue for about five minutes then called the drainage bloke out. Refilled with diesel (£203 lighter at this point) and the car started and ran fine.

That was quite a testing day.

Weird. I thought the insurance on GT-Rs was stupidly high because perma-tanned idiots rag them through city centres at 100 mph, upsetting everyone and somehow managing not to hit anything solid.

A lot of new cars (especially the volvos tiff :) ) have airbags that pop the bonnet up if you bump into anything for pedestrian safety.

As far as I know, the V40 is the first production car with this, explosive bolts and full width outside airbag.

volvo01.jpg

"

Swedish automaker Volvo has always been known for manufacturing some of the world’s safest vehicles. But now Volvo is looking to not just protect the passengers in the car, but the pedestrians roaming the streets.

We all know accidents happen, and try as we might to prevent them with technology – it’ll still happen because we’re human beings. Volvo is hoping when those accidents happen, they can help prevent serious injury by offering the world’s first Pedestrian Airbag System. That’s right, the poor guy or gal getting hit by a Volvo will land on a fluffy, cushy airbag rather than the hard hood or even worse, the glass windshield."

Clearly the manufacturers know they're crap, Vauxhall have gone back to conventional handbrakes on te Astras, with EPB being an optional extra, not sure why they've gotten rid though, maybe they think they can con an extra 150 quid out of new car buyers but everyone orders he good old fashioned one. It's weird in that early Insignias/Astra Js had handbrakes, changed to EPBs and have now changed back again

Renault and Ford still use conventional handbrakes in the megane/focus, seems to be reserved for the bigger cars

I don't like the "slowness" of them, e.g. If I'm at a set of lights and rather than sitting with my foot on the brake i put the handbrake on, but then i want to beat someone off the lights because I need into their lane, if I'm in a car with a handbrake as they light are about to change I can give a bit of gas, get the clutch to bite and get ready to let the handbrake off and go, if you do that in something with an EPB it starts to roll over the line too early and also you can't pull away as quick because as you tried to do it you need to wait on the EPB releasing slowing you down.

I don't like the "slowness" of them, e.g. If I'm at a set of lights and rather than sitting with my foot on the brake i put the handbrake on, but then i want to beat someone off the lights because I need into their lane, if I'm in a car with a handbrake as they light are about to change I can give a bit of gas, get the clutch to bite and get ready to let the handbrake off and go, if you do that in something with an EPB it starts to roll over the line too early and also you can't pull away as quick because as you tried to do it you need to wait on the EPB releasing slowing you down.

Yep. You can hear the motor. Takes about this long..... Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup! then you can go.

My brothers insignia went in today for a service its a 61 plate SRi with about 18k on the clock.

It needs new rear pads and disks apparently on the rear which I put down to the fact it has the electronic handbrake.

When the handbrake does occasionally work it grabs something terrible

My brothers insignia went in today for a service its a 61 plate SRi with about 18k on the clock.

It needs new rear pads and disks apparently on the rear which I put down to the fact it has the electronic handbrake.

When the handbrake does occasionally work it grabs something terrible

I see a problem here- handbrake is a strange word, should really be parking brake, and only applied when stationary, should never wear out pads or discs.

Yep. You can hear the motor. Takes about this long..... Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup! then you can go.

The problems start when they go Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgreeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I'll stick to cars with hand brakes connected by bits of metal, thanks. And cars that hurt pedestrians as well come to think of it... How long before we'll have to get pedestrian insurance? If someone steps out in front of the Volvo it'll hurt like fuck but I wouldn't need to replace several grands worth of exploding bonnet airbag nonsense.

At least the Voxall system is better than the VAG shite. What Vox do is have a big motor in the tunnel pulling on handbrake cables so you still have cables and handbrake shoes. The VAG system of electronic calipers with wiring looms and bits of plastic is just shit. BMW are now going over to this system too.