Can I have a Pea pls Bob? *08.11.13* fucked.

Jim Bell

I've done it loads of times. You buy what you think is a sure fire bargwin then as days creep buy you start realise that it's infact a total crock.

When I bought the Alfa 166 I had a couple of years ago the guy wanted £1100 for it and when I offered £800 he just said "yes" straight away. I thought this was odd but I was so taken by the whole idea of having a v6 166 I didn't see it was a massive crock of shit.

Has it got any T&T left?

Apart from the welding that doesn't sound too bad. I can't see discs, flexi &TRE's being expensive.

This is true.

Its the welding.

Theres aparently 4 or 5 hours work in the crossmember replacement alone. Then inner and outer sill, then both inner wheel arches.

Days of work, in the open air, probably in the rain.

If it was a rare car, then maybe invest the time, money and effort. But You cant save them all.

Well, here's my 2 cents worth !   First appearances- it looks good, specially in such a cheerful shade of pee,

But having been given a 2-door dark metallic green 52-plate1 litre K11 a few years ago, from an ageing relation,

I could not deal with it, so moved it on !

they are so bloody cramped anyway, specially on long journeys to Gatwick or Cornwall from Dorset (!!) - and i used to have the loan of another green 1.3 16v  4-door Micra, with electric sunroof that seemed to make the interior a little larger, but at least that went quite well, but ended up thrashing that just to keep up with motorway traffic- and they're bloody noisy at that speed too! :sad:

but they DO have a reliability reputation that is to be envied - just do the cambelt at the correct intervals, and they'll go on forever.

I would have thought, for what you paid, with that low mileage, it's worth throwing a 'bit' of cash at it just to get it MOT'd, you'd get it back, wimmen just love these, but i personally would never have another, even a free one! there's more room in a matchbox, and I'm only 5' 10"....  :smile:

(Oh, and don't try and put any sort of luggage in the boot  -  it's the wrong shape :roll:

Theres aparently 4 or 5 hours work in the crossmember replacement alone.

That's gotta be bollocks. He's clearly trying to fuck you right off.

It's sad that such a chirpy looking motor has to die this way, but even if you get it tested, it's still rather spoilt by having been biffed up the bum.

Shame for this one to go, the mechanicals on these are pretty bombproof and as others have said the crossmember rot is very common and easily fixed.  The work doesn't seem too outrageous, have you tried getting other quotes?

If it could be put through an MOT, a 2nd hand bootlid would tidy up its bottom and it'd make someone a good runabout.

Incidentally, I like 83600 (https://www.mytextcheck.com/) for quick checks about a car's history if you want to find out whether it's a Cat D.

That's gotta be bollocks. He's clearly trying to fuck you right off.

It's sad that such a chirpy looking motor has to die this way, but even if you get it tested, it's still rather spoilt by having been biffed up the bum.

Possibly, but there'd be no reason to bullshit. He knows well enough I wouldnt be paying him for the work. Overun recons he might be getting the front crossmember confused with the whole front pannel, which obviously would be a much bigger job.

Even if all the welding it needs gets done in the back yard, and I got it up to an MOT, it'd still be a very expensive crashed car.

I just dont like it enough to put the work in to be honest.

Which I know is not the Autoshite way, but at the end of the day its a common and poorly maintained car. If it was interesting or rare, or if I'd bonded with it on the road maybe I would have a different opinion, but as it stands, I'm happy to let it go.

If anyone else fancies a crack at it, its available on steels, for less than scrap cash.

We had the pleasure* of repairing one of these last month.  It needed almost exactly the same work as yours does- the front lower cross member was toast and needed patching on both sides.  The rear of both outer sills were holed and in the search for something metal-y to weld to, our welding man ended up rebuilding the jacking points and inner sills at the same end, literally to just have something solid enough to get it through its test.

This one was an early three-door in Ribena purple and left our place with a lovely black tidemark on each side just to cover the patches..

All in all the welding and fabrication was a good two-day job, the cross member is an easy four hours once you've stripped the front end down, fixed the problem and then put it all back together again! 

Even if the alloys look a bit too far away for me, the chaps on the http://www.micra.org.uk/ will be all over you like a rash for some bits of that car.

The 1300 donkey is desirable, the mechanism for opening the boot lid and fuel cap from inside the car are desirable, the fogs and spoiler again fetch a few bob and the wheels too - oh and the parcel shelf with speakers seem to sell for between £20 and £30 on the bay of E.

You're in Preston/Blackpool, right? An hour from me.

If you can get the bits down the A1 to Edd (SambaS) near Bedale, he often pops down here (Malhamdale).I can keep them here for you, that's more than half the distance covered.

(I'm off up to Leyburn in the morning, but that's a bit soon for you to get organised.)

Shame it was worse than it looked, these seem to be indestructible as long as the body holds up. Borrowed one a while back and found it fun to chuck about, my friend just filled the tank and did little else to it but it refused to fail an mot

Even if the alloys look a bit too far away for me, the chaps on the http://www.micra.org.uk/ will be all over you like a rash for some bits of that car.

The 1300 donkey is desirable, the mechanism for opening the boot lid and fuel cap from inside the car are desirable, the fogs and spoiler again fetch a few bob and the wheels too - oh and the parcel shelf with speakers seem to sell for between £20 and £30 on the bay of E.

SWMBO has a 3-dr Inspiration model and I've been trying to track down the fogs and parcel shelf with speakers to no avail. The crossmember is rusty on it too as well as the tailgate but the other parts seem to be rust free. Luck of the draw I guess?

Shit me! That looks GR8!

Welcome to mine and Micrasheds world:

This is MUTHA_STERLINGz 'friendly' K11 Micra ally:

484bcd7a.jpg

4b09fc82.jpg

Unlike your Micra, I've had to source and add all the extras myself as Ma_Sterling seems keep ending up with one-above base-spec models.

Ma has had this car since I was about 18, I'm 30 now. Its survived my stupid driving/shoving mates in car and driving about aimlessly and has always been a faithful back up car when my other cars/Rover 800s decided to call it day.

As its been with us for so long providing us transport, it'll never be sold, I'm trying to convince her to sell it to me should she change her car. I've grown rather fond of it an too attached to it to easily let it go.