A 1600GT Crossflow Engined Reliant Rebel... Now with MOT!

coalnotdole

The constant reminder to brake adds a pleasant dimension of mild terror to the experience there.  Sounds great, imagine it'll go great too when the clutch is taught to behave properly.

The new manifold for the twin 40's doesn't have a vacuum connection for running the brake servo. With no servo the brakes are somewhat non existent. Hence the constant reminders about braking!

Need to drill and tap a spigot into the manifold before it gets taken out on the road again...

Dave

It's not exactly a refined drive, is it?

The level crossing bit is made worse by the huge pile of junk in the back of the van crashing up and down! I'll keep an eye on the cooling as summer comes round.

Man, that sounds crisp! (...nuts... but crisp)!  I bet each of those carbs is worth more than the car!  Keep up the good work.  Once that clutch is changed, I imagine you could have some fun in the wet!

Fortunately I have a shameless reputation as a  tightwad  bargain hunter and the price paid for the carbs and air filter was sub £200 ( both bought seperately at a well known auto jumble)

I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet at some point to change the dizzy to a non vacum one to suit the 1600, as the DCOE's dont allow for a vac setup. Lumenition may also be on the cards as the new carbs make changing the points / condensor a real challenge...!

I've just won a cheap exhaust silencer on ebay so at some point I'll have a look at making that better too!

Cheers

Joe

• 4 years later...
On 8/5/2020 at 11:30 PM, Avocet said:

I just thought I'd pop in and noticed that the photos had gone when I deleted my Photobucket account, so I've just put them back in.  Any news on the project @coalnotdole ??

Hi Avocet,

The Crossflow Rebel has been hibernating in a lockup garage ever since the last post as other projects have taken precedence and work and personal commitments have reduced tinkering time for both myself and Joe.

By some entirely random coincidence though I did just source and buy a Ford Type 9 five speed gearbox and bell housing a week or so ago with the intention of fitting it at the same time as changing the clutch and shifting the engine back a bit.  Mind you I've also bought a pile of panels for my Capri, and an Enfield 8000 in need of major welding so don't hold your breath on the gearbox change happening too soon!

Thanks for updating the photo links - The back story and history of the car really is amazing.

After all its been through and after surviving its time in the haulage yard where we bought it from at the point it was about to have the engine pulled out and the shell scrapped it seems to me that it deserves a little bit of love and attention at some stage. 

Hopefully we'll get a chance to give it the time it deserves at some point!

Cheers,

Dave