The banger auction thread.

warren t claim

And I must say the choice of top modernish chod up for grabs at sensible money is fantastic. I've long since thought that Ebay had killed the banger auction off but tonight I was pleasantly surprised.

52 plate 206cc with a working electric roof and decent ticket £600

03 plate 1.0 Corsa in decent condition with no camchain rattle with tax and long test £500

05 plate 3 door Megane in fetching metallic black with long test £500

04 plate X Type jag 2.0 diesel manual Soverign spec £1100 with long test.

52 plate 206sw estate HDi with a scabby bonnet but taxed and tested for £400

04 plate ex taxi Cit C5 with 300,000 miles and 6 months test £290.

All the above cars were far from shonky and were well presented with no undue rattles or shonky bodywork.

Must return on payday, preferably for daylight viewing cos taking pictures as they went through is a bit of a no no!

All the above were far from bangers and would provide decent service to any shiter.

An 03 plate Corsa with test and sensible miles has to be worth £895 retail if you wantes to sell it on and what's the cheapest 206cc you've seen advertised?

There's one in Glasgow I've been to a few times and the prices are often similar there too.

Decent looking trade in Clios, Corsas, Yarises etc, around 10 years old for £5-700, petrol Mondeos, Vecras and Lagunas for about the same. A lot of them are from Arnold Shark and they often don't hit reserve but if you're really wanting the car they'll always deal. My mate picked up a very tidy good spec 53 Polo a couple of years  ago for £1200, when we got it home we found the "£2988" ticket in the boot! Greedy bastards. :evil:

Good old Pingu at Port! I honestly thought it would be full of utter shit but was pleasantly surprised.

We really need an AS auction meet soon. I'll make it interesting and bring money and have a few sneaky bids myself!

Right, you're on, we'll organise something firm and arrange a meet up on here then. All invited and with a bit of luck one of us will come away with something and do a thread on it.

I think they have a weekend sale (Sunday?) so perhaps that'd be better than an evening one, where people might struggle to travel.

Auctions are GR9 for buyers and GR7 for sellers.

When I worked at BCA, if there was a car than one of us fancied, it was common practice to swap plug leads over/put drop of oil on exhaust for blue-smokiness/remove bits of trim, etc before the car went through, and when no-one subsequently wanted to bid, a friendly trader would stick a paltry bid in on our behalf and snaffle up said motor for peanuts.

I was never* party to these shenanigans though.

I spotted 3 that'd defo been in that intercity auction conked out between the auction and me getting home 30 miles away once. The rozzers also hang out near that one in Ayrshire on the look out for the gaurenteed chancers who try to drive home with no tax/mot/insurance/hope/brakes/floor pans.

These sound like a right old laugh.

It sound much more fun putting all your savings into 3 or 4 ten year old motors and then trying to punt them on with eBay than blowing the lot at Ladbrokes. There's about equal odds of making anything out of it as well - unless you buy something French and you then you are playing a very risky hand.

Car auctions are a right old laugh and can be pretty exciting as you never know what's going to appear. Like Hillmanimp the first car I bought from auction would explode in a shower of cogs and springs the moment I paid the money over though... However FATHA_RML has bought quite a few motors from auction and not one has been a proper snotter yet. Best was the Honda Legend with it's exhaust back box in the boot for £800 or so. 
Dunno what like the SCA place in Livingston is now though as I haven't been for a few years.

The last four times I've been there (in the past two months), at least 75% of the stock is the same, even though some of the same cars seem to sell every week?

Ah, he hasn't changed then.

Years back his site on the Rossmore ind. est. was littered with seriously shagged out cars, including a Mk1 MR2 that you'd have had to pretty much take away with a dustpan and brush, and an Astra van that had a bush growing out of it.

Seemingly they were his own motors and he wouldn't lose money on them, so they sat there until someone would buy them, which of course, they never did.

I know for a fact if something has a below CAP price, he bounces a few bids off the walls and buys it himself. He then keeps running it round the block until he's turned a profit on it, almost certainly the reason you keep seeing the same cars.

He was honestly something of a laughing stock in the trade for quite a while and as a rule a lot of people avoided the place. They probably do better since the much missed DMA closed down, but he does still have Queensferry and Ewloe almost on his door step, plus there's a new one just opened up in Winsford I believe. 

Anyhow, it's still worth a visit, we can have a brew and a laugh if nothing else.

I quite enjoyed my trip to the local auction last year (Newark). I went with a mate to find a small car for his Missus, however all small cars were going for silly money, as was anything VAG, so I bought an S80 with 6 months T&T  for not a huge amount.

I don't allow myself to go to auctions any more as I can't trust myself.

It scares me how little the Mégane II is worth now, especially the 2.0 16v (the best engine) because nobody wants to pay £260 to tax a Meg for a year. Great looking cars that treat you well if they're not abused, I miss driving mine everyday, I really should get it sorted :(