VW Golf Mk2 main beam issues

I_am_Diesel

Hi Guys,

I'm having an electrical problem with my 1991 Mk2 VW Golf GTi and I wondered if anybody else has had this issue in the past or know a solution?

When driving in the dark the other morning I noticed that my main beam wasn't very bright and the light on the dash was also dull. I found if I pulled the switch back the lights brightened up as did the light on the dash.

I thought maybe the indicator switch was worn, so I ordered a new one, fitted it this morning and it's still the same.

I have had a good look on the internet but I can't find any definitive answers. Only the loom is too long from the battery to the lights making them dim, but this doesn't solve my problem.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The internet answer is about the lights being not very good in general, rather than a specific fault. There are similar theories about Xantia lights but in both cases the real problem is poor design of the light unit.

I agree with the previous answers that it is likely to be a poor connection, most likely the earth.

Wasn't the Xantia's problems caused by the "complex surface" lens thingy?

Another vote for dodgy earths. I had a Rover who's lights did weird things at times (front and back) and cleaning/replacing the earths where needed helped :)

That's the poor design bit, owners worked around it by trying to maximise the voltage that reached the lights. I've never driven a Xantia with the worst lights but the later Xantia 1 and Xantia 2 lights were bad enough.

I would also check connections in the fusebox. I believe the headlights only work with the ignition on in the Golf but the flash works with the ignition off, so there would be two fuses.