19 Years of Tin Snail - Back to normality

dollywobbler

I know this isn't a collection caper, but have a petrol station shot anyway. This was leaving Samobor, Croatia yesterday.

EA8naDHXYAAunXB.jpg

HUNGARY!

EA9SmQ4WkAAOGBe.jpg

Went to stop with an internet randomer, but it looked promising.

EA-E30DXsAEZ0Ps.jpg

Then we went for a drive, him in his Dyane. The only one in Hungary.

EA-173ZXYAAWF4x.jpg

We then went for a drive to a viewpoint looking over Lake Balaton.

EA-2Go3XsAEJAWB.jpg

Then I set off towards Austria. Have another petrol station shot.

EBDZAjRWkAAL9da.jpg

A thoroughly ordinary drive really, lots of fast A-road equivalents, much like French Route Nationals. I liked them very much. Eventually reached Vienna. Found this outside my hotel.

EBD2K_SWwAADEht.jpg

Feeling pretty bloody knackered, so my mooch around Vienna wasn't very joyful. I mostly just couldn't be arsed. I think my desire for more culture/old buildings/viewpoints is entirely waning, so I think I'm just going to focus on heading home now. Probably still have about 1300 miles to cover mind you...

I spent two days hammering it across Germany, from glorious Passau, up to The Netherlands. The views were epic.

EBRPQPtX4AENOXW.jpg

Sadly, the furious pace took its toll on the indicator relay, and it packed up. Thankfully, in the 'permanently on' rather than no indicators at all mode.

EBSJcIiWsAEYI-6.jpg

So, I'm having to flash myself...

The furious pace took the trip mileage to 3050, in a month. I'm now back where I started, with my friends who organise Japan Classic Sunday. That's  because a video I recorded a month ago turned out to have crap sound. So I did it again.

EBTzbqIW4AAmbkf.jpg

My friends' accommodation is pretty ideal to be honest.

EBUEfRAXUAIbLuD.jpg

Garden view is pretty good too.

EBW1ThXXUAAmfKX.jpg

I'm shooting another two videos this afternoon, then catching the ferry home tonight. Then it's just the small matter of the 300-mile drive from Harwich to home...

After a lovely night sleeping under that Terrano II poster, I drove up to the  North of The Netherlands to shoot a video. Then, after the owner and his girlfriend treated me to a delicious dinner, it was time to head to the ferry.

EBYqBeiXUAErxdV.jpg

Yes, bumped into some 2CV friends. Note  also a Mini at the front of the queue, and some hot rods the other side.

There were lots of Minis!

EBY1OhvWkAA98Fr.jpg

International Mini Meeting in Bristol, so cars from Denmark, Netherlands and Germany. Hot Rods are heading to the Summer Nats or something. Some Minis struggled to get off the ferry due to the ramp angles...

KNEE ALERT

I waved goodbye to The Netherlands, with increased fondness.

EBZGtM3XoAELj2-.jpg

Had an expensive yet dreadful breakfast on the ferry, but reasoned I'd just want to get driving once off and through Border Control. Sure enough, 130 miles later, I stopped for a break just after Cambridge.

EBby4crXUAEhLnK.jpg

You can just about see a Mini Moke on a trailer behind the fat BMW thing. The trailer was making some horrible noises, and they were attempting to tie down the Moke with those baby ratchet straps usually reserved for suitcases...

Shrewsbury was achieved just in time for lunch. As I'm technically still on holiday, cake counts as lunch.

EBcNoWWXoAAO0iC.jpg

On the way back through Wales, I got slightly distracted.

EBct9hkX4AAByce.jpg

You see, it's the Retro Rides Gathering on the 18th, and I'd been invited to take the Invacar along for one run up the hill. Can't be arsed wasting my money on a full half-day session as I suspect one laboured climb will be enough! It spat a plug out before I went travelling, but I had a few spare plugs in the 2CV. I greased one up and gently wound it into the head. Kill or cure! Back-and-forth a few times and it began turning sweetly, so I tightened it up and went for a drive (after a jump start.). Success! Hoorah!

So, I carried on home.

EBc6uAFXYAAhuLI.jpg

Quite pleased really! 3400 miles in five weeks, the most major incident being failure of the indicator flasher (makes roundabouts fun when you're self-flashing). The first week required a fair dose of fettling with ignition timing, but then the engine was in bits the day before I departed, so the first week was shakedown testing. Given the troubles some folks have had (some friends have had to abandon their car to  recovery and fly home), I think Elly the 2CV did remarkably well. The kingpins are absolutely shafted, the engine leaks a little oil (but not as much as a Mini), so there are things to attend to. I suspect they won't be getting attended to until after my next adventure however...

Welcome back! well done DW and Elly :) I thoghrougly enjoyed the videos and photos etc posted along the way!

happy to hear the whole adventure was nice and uneventful when it came to how the car performed! and your home safe and sound :)

I suspect the indicator flasher might just have welded contacts, I imagine if you gave it a thwack against something solid it might un-weld the contacts and resume proper operation :)

also very happy to see TWC is back up and running with just a new spark plug, have you noticed any performance differences?

I do wonder how long the last spark plug has been lose for and if it was letting compression down...

On 8/2/2019 at 4:05 PM, dollywobbler said:

Bad news. More action!

Thanks for the tip. Heading off to Bosnia & Herzegovina next weekend, and the 643 is just  a short detour from our intended (non motorway) route from our overnight stop in Kamnik, Slovenia.

It must be the first time I have seen a video of a twisty road completed in a car that I want to do on a bike. 

Oh, and welcome home.

1 hour ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Thanks for the tip. Heading off to Bosnia & Herzegovina next weekend, and the 643 is just  a short detour from our intended (non motorway) route from our overnight stop in Kamnik, Slovenia.

It must be the first time I have seen a video of a twisty road completed in a car that I want to do on a bike. 

Oh, and welcome home.

There are a LOT of warning signs about bikes, warning not to cut corners. Or fall off...

There are LOADS on all the roads around the Nurburgring (which in my view are better than the circuit, as no dropped oil, dripped coolant, or wanky drivers to contend with).

9th trip to the Balkans in the last 7 years, and just love the roads and countryside in Slovenia. Except when its wet in the mountains, as most hairpin are surfaced in cobbles, as it helps with grip for cars when its snowing.

Quick question/hijack as I imagine the 2CV buffs will be browsing this thread.

What size are the hoses that are input to / output from the fuel pump? I recently replaced mine but after being stood for a few months they've leaked when the engine is running, so I suspect I've bought some with an inner diameter too large. (sorry I can't remember what I did buy and the car's in storage a very long way away so I can't check!)

On 8/10/2019 at 12:43 PM, willswitchengage said:

Quick question/hijack as I imagine the 2CV buffs will be browsing this thread.

What size are the hoses that are input to / output from the fuel pump? I recently replaced mine but after being stood for a few months they've leaked when the engine is running, so I suspect I've bought some with an inner diameter too large. (sorry I can't remember what I did buy and the car's in storage a very long way away so I can't check!)

5.5mm. 6 will leak.

2 minutes ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

what's the story with the sun shade as you comment in one vid that its not fitted right?

If it’s like mine ( I think it’s the same Matts one) then it has two tiny bungee cords either side to attach by hooks to the original holes at the top of each side of the screen. Elly has a replacement screen and no holes. I’m not sure how DW has fixed it, but it’s certainly a lot further back than mine.  

43 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

In an ideal world, yes. Mine is a bit more faff.  It works an absolute treat though. Generally, I wasn't bothering with sun cream (I did during the heatwave). That was very welcome. It does add a bit more noise, and it does rob the rear of headroom, but I'm very glad I bought it.

Rear headroom is the only downside. I’ve taken the shade off when I’ve done weddings and the bride doesn’t usually like messing her hair. Other than that it stays in place with the roof up or down. My first international meeting was the 1998 Paris anniversary. I drove down, in convoy, with the roof off and my arm on the window frame. A big, and very sore and red mistake. Matts shade is a great invention for us red headed welshmen.