19 Years of Tin Snail - Back to normality

dollywobbler

10 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Mr Hubnut has departed Chez Saabnut Fr after giving Elly a little fettling whilst here. One more stop in La Belle France then tomorrow the long section starts.

Yesterday was 34c and the forecast is for temperatures to rise over the coming week peaking at over 40c

Should be pleasant*

Wish I could have made it, but work got in the way. I had half a bottle of Ricard left too.

36c in my bit a France at the mo...

Drove from Normandy to Nancy today. Over 300 miles and over 38 degrees! No pics, as I just got the hammer down. It was more comfortable to keep moving, even though the air coming into the car was seriously hot. My drinking water was body temp by mid afternoon, and heat sink from the engine was such that the floor was too hot for bare feet. As was the throttle pedal - a result of my steering column rubber grommet not being entirely secure.

As uncomfortable as it was for me, the 2CV just kept going. Pas de problem!

To think - I've owned that tent one year longer than the 2CV! Both showing their age a bit...

EAVjiWjXYAEidhL.jpg

Being on a campsite full of noisy kids wasn't ideal, but I managed to relax nonetheless. The swimming pool was marvellous. Not been in one for a long time. Because my shorts don't fit, I was the only person with a belt...

Sunset was nice.

EAWA78OXoAY9gEa.jpg

This morning, I walked into Markdorf for breakfast supplies. Even at 7:45am it was bloody warm. I did spot something lurking in the shade...

EAYTPAOW4AAwrCF.jpg

Then I headed into Austria! Which is the land of the traffic jam. Once I finally escaped mile after mile of jams in paradise, I went shopping.

EAZOKS5XsAgZjwx.jpg

Then I went to Innsbruck.

EAZd7-6WkAQl8N5.jpg

That's my overnight destination. Tomorrow, Slovenia!

Went for a  walk in Innsbruck. No, it really does say that on the numberplate surround.

EAar_FwX4AQWFMe.jpg

Went for a drive. Ended up in Italy.

EAdlCvPX4AESWPO.jpg

There then followed hours of being stuck in slow traffic in beautiful places, as we gently made our way across Italy and back into  Austria. Having had breakfast in Italy, I had lunch in Austria.

EAexoI7XYAEOsLU.jpg

Just as I was losing the will to live with the horrible traffic (20 miles in one hour), this view happened.

EAf-y7SWsAAGcGK.jpg

There then followed a very steep climb into the mountains, to get into Slovenia! First gear at times.

EAfDg2hXsAMb6mg.jpg

Sadly, the weather has been pretty shitty in Slovenia. I had to put the roof back on.

EAfYb_JXsAEL7JM.jpg

Now at a hotel for two nights, while 2CVing friends come and go on the campsite. It has rained steadily all day so far, so I'm not going anywhere. Rest day!

Campsite spots

EAf1H7HW4AAWPov.jpg

EAf6N5kWsAUAHLx.jpg 

EAijwkgXkAAhoqg.jpg

EAjZXoDXkAEfasz.jpg

Indeed. Bit of a palaver as I had to dash off and re-park Elly as it was taking so long to upload. Actual internet has proved more tricky to locate than I'd hoped on this trip.

On the other hand, it has truly become one epic trip. Spent this afternoon driving on gravel roads up, and twisty tarmac to reach the top of a very nice hill.

EApZY1HWsAIEhvr.jpg

I awoke for my final day in Slovenia to interesting scenes. 

EAtPrhmXsAAqBC8.jpg

That's a shot on the 643 road, which is FANTASTIC fun. Just an endless sea of twists and turns. I doubt I got beyond 30mph but was having the time of my life, for mile after mile.

After grabbing an Aldi breakfast, I hopped across the border. No queue, no hassle.

EAtZExqWwAMVpBz.jpg

Eventually made it down to the coast. Rijeka is reckoned to be the place to be, so of course, it was horribly, horribly overcrowded. With no particular destination on the Sat Nav, I just worked my way down the coast until I made to Bakar, a seemingly forgotten little port town that was practically empty.

EAt9FfIXoAEn6p-.jpg

I had lunch there, then began the three-hour drive back up north to  the 2CV meet. I gave up on motorway avoidance after an hour or so. As Rich will recall, Croatia off the motorway is a frustratingly endless stream of villages and 50kmh speed limits. Toll booths are annoying with RHD and a solo driver, but I decided better than the alternative.

After what seemed like forever, and what made 'nipping' to the coast for lunch seem a stupid idea, I reached Samobor and the World Meeting of 2CV Friends. Here's Elly with Kitty the 2CV. They last saw each other in Cambridge at the very start of this adventure.

EAvFmknWwAEV_ic.jpg

It's quite a big old meeting! Cars were still arriving into the night.

EAv9SCvXYAAgRem.jpg

An amazing event,  but I'm not a 24hr party person, so am staying in an AirBNB up in the hills. Given the thunderstorm last night, I'm quite pleased about my choice!

We have a few days here, to reflect on the 1900 miles covered so far before the long drive home - which will be rather more  direct.

24 hour party people - is the demographic remaining youngish for 2CV's...some cars continue to attract youngsters? I wonder how much partying the P4 Drivers Guild do for example - though I am sure they have their moments too!

Thought I suppose the international sales of the 2CV helped and these international events too.

I see loads (relatively) of these on the roads in France - at least one a day and often everyday cars. I still have a couple of 2CV type air-cooled engined Visas in my barn. One I once drove to London and back when my 'everyday' broke down.

Super thread by the way - wonderful.

17 hours ago, lesapandre said:

24 hour party people - is the demographic remaining youngish for 2CV's...some cars continue to attract youngsters? I wonder how much partying the P4 Drivers Guild do for example - though I am sure they have their moments too!

Thought I suppose the international sales of the 2CV helped and these international events too.

I see loads (relatively) of these on the roads in France - at least one a day and often everyday cars. I still have a couple of 2CV type air-cooled engined Visas in my barn. One I once drove to London and back when my 'everyday' broke down.

Super thread by the way - wonderful.

Certainly, there are plenty of younger folk still enjoying these cars, though plenty of grey hair amongst the party animals too... Some of them have been doing these meets since the first one in 1985!