Huge Yank shite bought!

danthecapriman

Ive been looking to get some yank iron for some time but always found the choice of cars already in the uk a bit restricted, plus alot seem to be less than standard condition wise!

So, Ebay US was consulted!

I had no plans to go for any specific make, model, year etc and just scanned through everything. I should probably add that my budget hadnt even been considered either!

I like muscle cars, but nothing really jumped out so I kept looking. Then the idea of going down the 'full size' route led me to a slightly unusual choice, the Mercury Marquis!

To cut a short story even shorter, I saw it, loved it and bought it there and then!

Shes a 1973 vintage brougham, with a monster 429ci Ford V8. Spent almost all its life in Georgia only notching up 80 thousand odd miles. Its unrestored and original.

Few pics pinched from the ebay ad:

098-XL_zps667ac54d.jpg

061-XL_zps288ac80f.jpg

002-XL_zps0dd125a9.jpg

Just sorting out the shipping, then itll be on its way over!

Importing cars is totally new to me so hopefully it all goes well, and most importantly doesnt take long! I want to drive this before the roads get too shitty!

Minto and I dont just mean the colour, that is fuckin awesome..  I have always liked the Marquis of this year and its a tad rarer than the Lincoln.   Good luck with her but just watch the storage charges this side - you need to get all your customs papers/shipping docs well in order before arrival so that the bastards dont try it on.   Chuck a thread on here about it so you can get some good advice.   I have never brought anything in myself but I have worked for shipping lines - greedy cunts.

Thanks guys!

I will keep this updated with all progress, hopefully it might help other people out thinking of doing the same.

Im going to call the shipping company tommorrow to get the process started. The company concerned take charge of everything, start to finish including all paperwork, registration etc, mods for uk roads and mot! Its going to cost more but I think its worth it just to avoid dealing with the idiots at dvla!

It will also be staying totally standard! No stupid big wheels, No shitty stick slapping suspension and no forced patina or pinapples!

Holy shit that looks fucking horrific. I love it!

We've just added these two to stock - 1970 Cadillac Eldorado with a massive 8.2 litre V8 up front and twin straight through stainless pipes which to me is just about perfect, and a 1976 with the same set up in a horrific colour scheme. Really shows how wrong they got things by the mid to late '70s.

Oh yeah. They're both FWD... :|

The very pretty '70
10348554383_f60974959b_z.jpg
BOU 73H by cms206, on Flickr
10348350525_aae9d6f906_z.jpg
'70 Eldorado... by cms206, on Flickr

The very unpleasant '76
10348525953_d480d91492_z.jpg
UFC 307P by cms206, on Flickr

10348338004_63a4c9ae43_z.jpg
'76 Eldorado... by cms206, on Flickr

Fantastic, I commend your good taste!

I'm a fan of 1970s American stuff, probably because it was everywhere on the TV shows I watched as a kid.  In 1978 a chase from Starsky & Hutch was always better than the one from Juliet Bravo.  But I think Americans want to erase that era of cars from the history books; they're alright with the cool '50s cars with their fins and chrome, and cars from the '60s are alright with their 7 litre muscle, but stuff from the '70s?  No chance.

I'm deeply jealous and expect a full report asap.  As for the driving experience, I quote from a friend applies when you take it fast into a corner "You think you're in trouble now, just wait till it stops understeering"

Thanks for the positive comments gents!

Everyone has said I was mad to buy something like this, which is definatly true but why not!?

I think the whole point of buying something like this is exactly because its so stupidly big, handles like a supertanker and generally arent actually that good at what their original purpose was (a mode of daily transport!).

For some reason the allure of trying misrably to do what should be even simple tasks, like turning corners for example, is very appealing.

As I said in the first post, I had no budget in mind to buy this. Therefore I think I did exceptionally well financially by actually making the budget fit the purchase! Since the car is now paid for all thats left is to sort the shipping out which is the bit I wasnt looking forward to but hopefully it shouldnt be too painfull.

That's the bollocks! Great thread too.

Please for gods sake don't ship it through Felixstowe, I don't want to be responsible for damaging it!

erm... apologys in advance then! Theres a very good chance it might end up coming in that way! On the bright side you may end up getting to at least see the thing before I do!

More updates in due course.......

Christ this is grim.

What happened to yank iron in the 70's? More ugly than a fight at a gypsy wedding. Seriously, loving the mercury.

I hope the motor is the full fat version and not the smog equipped effort than puts out about 170 hp.

post-4771-0-55008400-1382431864_thumb.jpg

Did you know that Jack Lord's character in Hawaii five - O used a mercury marquis in the series?

You can drive round and bore the arse of your passengers by repeating "Book em Danno."