Help for Heroes MGF

Barry Cade

This is an idea that formed in my head in the early hours of the morning, the begginings of which are in the News thread, but a couple of shiters have said to start a new one, so I'll just cut and paste here...

"I have a plan forming in my head here. Thanks to mr bollocks for the seed.Help for heroes was very close to his heart. I have my mgf which I will have no where for it to live. Autoshite is my sane place where everyone else is as odd as me so here goes.

Take my mgf and enjoy a fine little British sports car. Donate £100 to help for heroes and post the proof up here. Look after it for as long as you want to and when the time comes to move it on, carry on the same deal within this community. If at any time it becomes uneconomical to repair then send it over the bridge and donate the proceeds to the same charity.

The mg has a long mot till about August next year, but you'll have to tax it, and get a refund if you move it on.you may have read it recently took my wife and I all the way from Scotland to Frankfurt and back trouble free,has had the head gasket and a couple of valves replaced by me, and is the quietest k series I've ever heard. Lots of parts replaced to make it every day useable and a very nice drive. Nice sony stereo too with I pod connector in the glovebox which stays in the car....

Cracking heater, totally waterproof,uses NO water, 45 mpg,and was fully serviced before the trip,including a coolant change. Waxoiled and shutzed underneath when I got it only thing I had in the pipeline to do was replace the discs and pads all round at some point. I have new front pads to go on.

Let's see how many names we can get on the logbook.

MGF_zpsd82bfb5f.jpg

If it comes by this way I will gladly take part as its for charity and hell, will be nice for a bit. Is there any way of finding out what has been the 'most owned car' in the UK from Doovla?

I don't think it's a stat they publish but you are able to make requests for information like this

Sorry to hear of your loss Tiff, but it does look as if something worthwhile will come from it. It seems as if it could now be a couple of months until I'm behind the wheel again, so perhaps the rest of us could sponsor the 'marathon', so much per change in ownership?

Having benefited from the techniques used to treat military patients at the QE Hospital in Birmingham, I would be happy to chip in. Anyone taking part will be interested to see how at least part of their donation will be used:

http://www.fisherhouseuk.org/get-involved/our-partners/

Condolences Tiff.

A brilliant and very generous gesture.

How about a Autoshiteist's  UK road map possibly down the east coast,across or zigzag the country then back up the west coast back to Tiff,With every owner completing a log of its times/journey's  collections and drop offs to the next owner.

Happy to be on relative (If not immediate timewise)  standby for maintenance if necessary.... South Yorkshite area. (Not a misprint) Is it worth getting it to visit every Military base in the local area of the owner/driver at the time., photos and donations etc? Local papers involved and that?

I'm over in Paisley Tiff, again if insurance permits - can't see it being a huge issue - I'd be willing to do my bit too. A round Britain MGF relay has to be the best celebration of Britain, shite cars and good causes and a top way of remembrance.

The Trigger is ready to pull if you can get stuff sorted!

Would be happy to donate £100 plus an extra £50 to Help For Heroes and take custody of the car. Happy to come up by train, and drive it home myself. Would be looking to use it for a few months then pass it on within this community for a similar donation. Would maintain/improve/MOT it as necessary, both for my benefit, the charity and the next owners.

Would be happy to donate £100 plus an extra £50 to Help For Heroes and take custody of the car. Happy to come up by train, and drive it home myself. Would be looking to use it for a few months then pass it on within this community for a similar donation. Would maintain/improve/MOT it as necessary, both for my benefit, the charity and the next owners.

Yup - me too, exactly. It's a good cause and it would be fun too so why not?

If I may make a suggestion, it would be that we find out who is willing and able to make the same level of commitment as Bob, starting with him and me. Then maybe the MGF could move around the country in a logical way, when people part with it. For example I'm down in Devon so it would make sense for my "go" to wait until someone in - for example - Bristol or whatever has had it.

If we were to try and optimise the income for the charity, and get papers involved etc, as suggested above, I think that this level of planning would help. We could produce a map showing the car touring the country as it passes through different hands, for example.

I suppose as far as publicity goes it's a case of how far you want to take it. One idea I had was to produce a website (my company does them so I could donate one to the project). It could explain what we're up to, ask for donations to HTH, and allow whoever is looking after the car at any one time to upload pictures and/or information about how it's going.

All of which may seem over the top, in which case I apologise. I was just trying to figure out how to get the word out in order to maximise donations.