Road Trip

UmBongo

My little brother has been after a Saab 900 for a while now, and had spotted one for sale on a Saab owner's club forum recently.

We both owned two 900s around the late nineties and he wanted to relive this period of car ownership.

I'm not sure why, because latterly, one of these, a 1991 900 LPT in Le Mans Blue, became a real money pit before it was scrapped around ten years ago.

Anyway, he persuaded me to accompany him to Lincolnshire to look at this thing, a round trip of 600+ miles, no less.

The thing in question was a 1993 T16s that had been stuck in a garage for three years since it's owner had passed away.

Now, we were going via Hull, because he wanted to look at a Carlsson on the way down.

So we set off from a fairly dank Shitland at five in the morning, the car fully laden with a flask of stewed tea (his doing) and some gourmet goodies for breakfast and lunch.

Off we pootled down the A68 through the Borders, Northumberland and Durham and then to Scotch Corner for a 'rest break'.

I have to say while driving through dawn and beyond, that the scenery and towns we passed through on this stretch were very easy on the eye.

But what has happened to Scotch Corner?

All I could see was a generic service station, car park and the usual litter floating around said car park - not very impressive.

We carried on through Yorkshire via the A1, driving through York to see the Minster and whatnot, then on to Hull to check out the Carlsson.

After a fairly ordinary test drive, my bruv told the vendor that he would 'think about it as he had another car to see'.

A wise decision, methinks, but you can judge for yourself by looking at these shitepics.

Elderly MR2 in background - also for sale.

010_zpsac22c504.jpg

005_zps81362ecc.jpg

002_zpsfaa09c51.jpg

The Humber Bridge for some local colour - it's really impressive. The local Neds were hitting golf balls into the water with no hope of retrieval, the crazy young bastards!

012_zps2197eedf.jpg

Anyway, onwards and Southwards we travelled, on the A15 via Lincoln and Sleaford to our final destination.

The land was very flat and we passed numerous airbases on this part of the journey, after all, we are 'Air Strip One', quote courtesy of Eric Blair, circa 1948.

We were met by a very pleasant old chap who was acting on behalf of the owner's estate and taken to the car which was in a very secluded and quiet area just off the A1.

The T16s was advertised at £1200 but my brother had already been advised he could have it for £1000.

It had not been started for around three years and the old chap had tried charging the battery, but to no avail.

However, we were assured the car had 'wanted for nothing' and it had a very extensive history file, and the owner had a very interesting history, too.

However, the car looked good, and even came with a Saab first-aid attached to the parcel shelf, Saab floor mats and all the original manuals etc.

Now, I am a sucker for that kind of associated stuff as I am a completist.

My bruv also liked this aspect of the car.

So, to cut a long story short, we agreed the deal and the vendor said we could have anything car related from the garage as it was all going to be thrown out!!!

Some mad scrambling for cans of petrol, wax oil and other shite thus ensued, lol.

We also found some original Saab headlamp protectors...oooh and an old catalytic convertor...aaah.

The sale secured, we thanked the vendor and exited stage left onto the A1 and back to Shitland for a very late cup of tea or two.

Here are the best pictures I could get while the car was ensconsed in it's womb-like garage.

Note the foglamps, usually missing.

013_zps2979d555.jpg

You can see the first-aid kit in this one.

014_zps96984009.jpg

The car has been trailered up to Shitland and is currently in a top secret location being prepared for it's first MOT in three years.

Watch this space for further updates - if I can be bothered, ha!

That's a hell of a road trip. How did you travel from Shetland at 5am? I've always gone on the Aberdeen-Lerwick ferry but it's far too £££ to do on my own money.

I think you were right to reject the first one, it's from one of SAAB's rusty periods, as can be seen on the bonnet. The Shetland air would see that off in no time, in the unlikely event that there was any metal under the Tuppeware.

I'll look out for the SAAB next time I'm there, it'll certainly stand out among the Berlingos.

That's a hell of a road trip. How did you travel from Shetland at 5am? I've always gone on the Aberdeen-Lerwick ferry but it's far too £££ to do on my own money.

I think you were right to reject the first one, it's from one of SAAB's rusty periods, as can be seen on the bonnet. The Shetland air would see that off in no time, in the unlikely event that there was any metal under the Tuppeware.

I'll look out for the SAAB next time I'm there, it'll certainly stand out among the Berlingos.

Lol, maybe I should change my location, Shitland is just Scotland.

In my humble opinion you have just bought an example of the finest car ever made. If I could only keep one of my cars, without question it would be the 900 turbo. Comfortable, fast, reliable, easy to find parts for and to work on, stylish and staggeringly well built. Downsides? Not many... it's not that good on fuel I suppose, but in my case it's because I never get tired of flooring it and feeling the turbo kick in, like being shoved in the back.

Good choice of motor, and great writeup.

In my humble opinion you have just bought an example of the finest car ever made. If I could only keep one of my cars, without question it would be the 900 turbo. Comfortable, fast, reliable, easy to find parts for and to work on, stylish and staggeringly well built. Downsides? Not many... it's not that good on fuel I suppose, but in my case it's because I never get tired of flooring it and feeling the turbo kick in, like being shoved in the back.

Good choice of motor, and great writeup.

Thanks.

The LPT I had was a great car up to a point. Used to love it when the turbo kicked in.