how do find the owner ?

bones96

the DVLA can give you the details of who owns a car but only under certain circumstances, you yourself couldn't ask them, but the owner of the pub probably could - the car is in his car park

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/197528/Release_of_information_from_DVLA.pdf

from the link 

Regulation 27 of the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulation 2002 provides 
for the release of information from DVLA’s vehicle register to the police and local 
authorities. The regulation allows us to release data to individuals, private and public sector 
organisations providing they can demonstrate reasonable cause to have it. The release of 

information about vehicles and their keepers for such purposes is long established and predates the existence of the DVLA. 

I'm not really sure that applying for the V5 is a "dodgy punt". I mean, I can see the point, but if you did that the registered keeper would get a letter from the DVLA and if he wanted to keep it all he'd have to do is say "FRO it's mine" and that would be that.

On the other hand it's possible that he'll get the letter and think "yeah, someone's after it who might look after it, time to let it go". That's what happened to me years ago when I had a rotten 70s Range Rover that didn't run; it ended up in some geezer's yard and I didn't have the time, money or inclination to get it sorted (lots of shit happening in my life at the time). Obviously the bloke who owned the yard decided to have a go at claiming it, and in due course I received a letter alerting me to that fact. Letting him go ahead and take possession of it seemed sensible, so I did and it was probably the right decision. So you never know.

Getting a car that way will land you a motor without keys, but that's not a massive problem on an old car, and it will have been free.

I do agree that a good first step would be to grab yourself a pint in the pub and see if anyone can enlighten you first, though.

A V5 doesn't mean you own the car.

Nobody who's ever glanced at the front of one would be in any doubt about that. There's that big blue band across the top.

But what's the difference - in practice? I'm hardly going to go back to the fellow who claimed my Range Rover and explain that it's actually mine and can I have it please, am I? Possession being nine tenths, etc.

Apply for the log book. Old Stan probably keeled over during Dominoes.

4 srs m8 i no a lad gt esc cozy lyk dat he send 2 dlva n it cum bak in his nam he colect car den dryvz hom iz al leagle bruv gd luk wif it were it at i mite get 1st hahahahahaha pmsl jk jk X

Can I cautiously suggest amending those photos to take the number plate out? Someone might well be tempted to have a punt on it having seen it in internet land. 

As has been said, ask around. Applying for the V5 is not worth doing in my opinion. Yes, you could be the registered keeper, but if Joe Bloggs comes along wanting his car back, you'll have to give it back - which would be galling if you did a load of work on it.

those photos don't look like it's being shown, more like they were taken in the car park outside the show (don't you just love it when there's something better in the car park than what is on show). But yes, be very careful if you apply for a V5, somebody has looked after that car and although your intention is to try and stop the car being vandalised, you could find yourself being accused of trying to steal it and have a somewhat pissed off owner to deal with.

Yeah. I supported that suggestion, but that was because when it happened to me I didn't mind and was happy to let the car go. Thinking about it now though, it's not the appropriate thing to do before even asking in the pub. After all, it probably just belongs to the landlord or a regular and that's that.